Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Clipboard Bug

gsmith37064

@MattBrown

I was doing some heavy copy and paste and using chases. When I went to paste,  it pasted some old stuff from a previous prop. I hit ctrl z to back out and it continued to paste garbage. After a few tries... I got this error:

Clipboard

A problem occurred while reading the clipboard 'Std Clipboard':

An entry with the same key already exists.

@MattBrown

Well I can no longer copy and paste. I saved the sequence and exited out. Came back in and tried to continue. No matter what I do, it gives the error.

At least with the other bugs, I was able to move forward. Now I am dead in the water....

I am guessing it's writing clipboard files to some folder? Is there a limit and I hit it and it does not know how to overwrite old clipboard entries?

Edited by gsmith37064

@MattBrown

After waiting a little bit, I reopened my sequence and it started to work again. This is beyond frustrating now if it keeps me from working inside of SE.

I used the clipboard a lot in S4 with Bob'Os Autoflip tool, but have yet to use it in S5. So I assume when you copy channels, it pastes it to the clipboard for you and writes a file out to the drive???

Or does it keep it in memory and I just happened to reach the limit? My box has 32gigs of memory in it which I know is over kill for S5 seeing how it's only 32bit software. 

I will be back trying to work on it again this evening after I get home from work.

@MattBrown Can you shed some light on how this works?

Edited by gsmith37064

CLipboard files are in your LOR folder called clipboards. You might want to look in that folder and see what is in there. I copy and paste a ton, havent had any issues.

16 minutes ago, dougd said:

CLipboard files are in your LOR folder called clipboards. You might want to look in that folder and see what is in there. I copy and paste a ton, havent had any issues.

I am not sure why it gave that error and ctrl z would paste old copies of stuff I did earlier that day instead of doing an undo. Let me search for that folder and see what all is in it.

Maybe I can get a better understanding of what is going on with it.

I have 93 items in the folder. Only 1 from this month. Std Clipboard.lcb. File size is 29kb. So very tiny.

That is the clipboard file it complained about in my above post. I assume S5 writes to this file when you copy and paste??

Can I delete the file and will it recreate it if needed??

Edited by gsmith37064

55 minutes ago, dougd said:

I also us Bob0's clipboard flipper and it is functioning as like normal with S5.

That is good to know. I am sure I will be using it on my next sequence. The only reason I mentioned the Autoflip tool is because I know it writes files. Just not sure how S5 handles the copy. I think it writes to that std clipboard file.

I wonder if S4 did the same thing? Of course I did not have any issues in S4.

Edited by gsmith37064

Clipboards pretty much work the same way between S4 and S5. Yes, you can delete the file and it will recreate. Try also creating a new clipboard file and see if that one works normally.

Are you locking the clipboards you have saved. The Std Clipboard.lcb is Your default clipboard. it should not be locked. If you do not lock your saved clipboards they can be overwritten by mistake very easy. When this happens all previously saved data in that clipboard file is lost and over written by the copy feature. make sure you use the copy and paste feature with the Std Cliboard.  and lock all other specialty clipboards. You may of overloaded the std clipboard so yes try deleting it and S5 should create a new one. that might fix your problem. 

Edited by Box on Rails

2 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

Are you locking the clipboards you have saved. The Std Clipboard.lcb is Your default clipboard. it should not be locked. If you do not lock your saved clipboards they can be overwritten by mistake very easy. When this happens all previously saved data in that clipboard file is lost and over written by the copy feature. make sure you use the copy and paste feature with the Std Cliboard.  and lock all other specialty clipboards. You may of overloaded the std clipboard so yes try deleting it and S5 should create a new one. that might fix your problem. 

I have NOT used any clipboards in S5 yet. My next sequence I will use the Autoflip and Clipboard. As of now, I am gunshy to even try.

This is why I found it strange to hit that error when I did. But as I said, when I tried to paste it would paste old copies of stuff I did earlier that day. Then when I tried to ctrl z to go back, it continued to paste junk till the error popped up.

Edited by gsmith37064

are you saving the flipped data from BobO's flipper as a new file or are you overwriting the Std clipboard?

1 minute ago, Box on Rails said:

are you saving the flipped data from BobO's flipper as a new file or are you overwriting the Std clipboard?

I have yet to use the clipboard in S5. I assume S5 used the clipboard to copy and writes to that file. I never seen the issue in S4 so I am not sure what is up with it.

I am just using the normal copy paste feature in S5.

Also with the Autoflip, you save your file with a -ho in the name so it knows how to flip it. Ex: circle-ho

That name is not even close to the "std clipboard" file name.

Edited by gsmith37064

As of now, all we know is that a simple copy paste in S5 writes to the "std clipboard" file. How it clears out the old copy or how fast I can do a copy paste as it writes is unknown.

But for 15 mins last night, I could not do any copy or paste. It would come back with the error right away. 

Clipboard

A problem occurred while reading the clipboard 'Std Clipboard':

An entry with the same key already exists.

As of this morning, I can copy and paste but have yet to do anything large. Will give it another go this evening.

Edited by gsmith37064

yes the std clipboard is the file that copy/paste feature uses. I think your issue might have to do with the attempt to retrieve old data is S5 with CTL Z. I know when S5 first came out it had some Clipboard issues and the ability to Contrl Z Might be one that has not been fixed yet. I have never used the Ctl Z feature so it is not a problem for me. Hope the LOR people are reading this thread. 

7 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

yes the std clipboard is the file that copy/paste feature uses. I think your issue might have to do with the attempt to retrieve old data is S5 with CTL Z. I know when S5 first came out it had some Clipboard issues and the ability to Contrl Z Might be one that has not been fixed yet. I have never used the Ctl Z feature so it is not a problem for me. Hope the LOR people are reading this thread. 

This is my 3rd attempt at using S5 and I actually managed to do a sequence this time. With the bugs I have encountered, I have managed to find work a rounds. Slow going... yes, but doable.

But if it does not let me copy and paste, there is no work around for that. At least I have not found one.

Now that I am done with the base sequence, I am going though adding color and effects. So I copy and paste a TON now between my RGB props. All I know is that it worked perfectly in S4.

The good news is that Matt Brown and I walked through some of the issues and they can be reproduced. Let's hope that when a fix comes for that, it resolves this issue as well.

Edited by gsmith37064

CTRL Z is just the normal shortcut to UNDO in S4 and S5.

Edited by gsmith37064

22 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

But if it does not let me copy and paste, there is no work around for that. At least I have not found one.

I have never had a copy & paste issue with S5 - EVER.  Granted that I don't do all that much since for the most part, I sequence essentially everything in SuperStar and not Sequencer, but I do copy and paste JR's face sequences into my sequences.

25 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I have never had a copy & paste issue with S5 - EVER.  Granted that I don't do all that much since for the most part, I sequence essentially everything in SuperStar and not Sequencer, but I do copy and paste JR's face sequences into my sequences.

I have already reported some copy paste issues and they can be reproduced. So they do exist. I work extensively inside of SE which is why I am more prone to seeing the issue than you. Also copying normal face channels is tiny compared to what I do. Also keep in mind that I am all RGB. No normal lights. Is it just an RGB issue? Not sure. All I know is that it exists and can be reproduced. It seems we program our lights differently and I use SE heavily. No Superstar here.

Also as of now, you can't paste beyond 100 channels. If you use the paste special option and type in 800. It will default back to 100 when you go to paste. Matt caught this one during my testing with him. So yes, there are copy paste issues. Some are a lot more troublesome than the 100 channels paste. I reported this in another thread though.

Another issue that I encounter... I copy 1 pixel mini tree containing 21pixels for 30 seconds and paste it 8 times. Only 7 times will paste leaving the 8th one untouched.

Then there is pasting to groups that do not work. It pastes to the RED GREEN BLUE channels instead of the 1 channel. It see's 1 RGB channel as 3 channels. EX: 800 channels is really 2400 channels. When you paste, it only uses the first 266 channels because it thinks the RED GREEN BLUE are 3 channels instead of 1.

Edited by gsmith37064