Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 preview

Dennis Laff

Hi  Everyone so I installed S5 on my backup computer ,so is their a way to install my preview form S4 pixel editor into S5  preview or do you have to start brand new . Thanks Dennis

3 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Tried that Vince get nothing but gobbled up mess.

I am fairly certain you will need to build a new preview matching the preview you had in S4. Once that is built, S5 will convert your S4 sequences to work in S5.

Hi E brown  that’s what I thought but was hoping their was a way to use the S4 preview  if I have to do that I also downloaded X- Lights so  I’ll make a preview in both  and see which way to go after 10 years with LOR    Thanks Dennis

All my S4 previews worked fine when I started them in S5. Are you using Superstar for effects in S4?

PM me and maybe I can assist.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:20 AM, Dennis Laff said:

Tried that Vince get nothing but gobbled up mess.

When you say gobbled up mess are you refering to the Preview or the sequencing or both?

I tried importing a vis file with mixed results. I found it easier to recreate the props one at a time in S5, be sure to create Groups. When done export them as .lpeprops. When all the props are created.

Open a New Preview for your Whole House Preview. (This will be your main preview) in S5.

Import all the props you created and exported 1 at a time and size and place them where you want. When done, this will be your main Preview that you will use to sequence with.

Before you get carried with sequencing, be sure your Preview is what you want. A good Preview will make all the difference when it comes to sequencing in S5.

The trick here when creating a prop that you already sequenced for in S4 and SS, that you create a Group within the prop to allow you to copy into existing SS effects.

In regards to SS, I added a Group in each prop that shows the same grid when I import SS into S5 as it looked and acted like in SS. Use this group when updating from your (previous) SS effects.

This might sound difficult, but get easier once you understand the concept.

If you need help, just ask.

Alan...

Default. Well I finally gave up trying to import the S4 preview to S5 so I’m going to start fresh like you suggested.So I think I understand your way of creating the new preview make all props one at a time and export prop to save file when all props are finished open new preview  and size props to fit .  One more question I have the Holiday Coro singing faces how can you add the sequences that are available for purchase or many that I got from JR to S5.  Thanks for your help.Dennis

14 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

So I think I understand your way of creating the new preview make all props one at a time and export prop to save file when all props are finished open new preview  and size props to fit . 

Yes, I found it easier to do it this way.

14 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

One more question I have the Holiday Coro singing faces how can you add the sequences that are available for purchase or many that I got from JR to S5.  Thanks for your help.Dennis

If you set up your S5 Preview the same as your S4 Preview (channel order) then it just a quick and easy copy/paste process.

Here is a video I made a couple of years ago, it was made not long after S5 was released and we were all learning how to do different things. The screens and layout has changed because the video was done in ver 5.0.16 and a lot has changed since then. The basic info is still valid though, it should answer your question. The copy/paste of my singing faces is near the begining.

I am also working on a S5 Holiday Coro Singing Tree .lpeprop. Are your trees smart or dumb pixels?

Alan...

Hi Alan  my trees are still leds running on 2 16 channel lor ac controllers ,is that a problem or should I change the faces to smart pixels ?

I watched your video on copying and paste S4 to S5  that really helped me understand it. been on here ten years now was really comfortable with S4 and didn't want to make the switch but decided to now . Thanks for your help  the blade spinner and the spoke spinner are really unbelievable to watch ,did you make the props yourself?  Dennis

Edited by Dennis Laff

44 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

my trees are still leds running on 2 16 channel lor ac controllers ,is that a problem or should I change the faces to smart pixels ?

Dennis,

That's up to you. If you are happy wilth your existing trees, and already have sequences for them then the goal should be to get what you already in S4 to work in S5. Since they are traditional lights and ac controllers it is easy to do.

I am making tutorial video(s) on how to make a S5 (.lpeprop) for the Holiday Coro Sing Trees prop. Since there is 3 ways to light them (smart pixels, dumb pixels, and traditional lights) it requires a different approach to each type of light. Now that I know you will be using ac controllers I can fine tune and make this tutorial first for ac controllers.

How many trees do you have? (i'm guessing 4)

If more than 1, how are they setup, ie. do all act as 1, or do they all have different mouth movements independently from one another.

If you can post the channel configs for each tree, I can really fine tune the video for you and post the resulting .lpeprop for you to use or experiment with.

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

been on here ten years now was really comfortable with S4 and didn't want to make the switch but decided to now .

S5 has a learning curve, it is different than S4, but once you understand it, you will get comfortable with it as well. There are a lot of good folks here that can/will help in your transition.

1 hour ago, Dennis Laff said:

the blade spinner and the spoke spinner are really unbelievable to watch ,did you make the props yourself? 

Yes, I actually enjoy making props more than I do sequencing for them 😀. That in part is why I like to make tutorial videos for making props, if you understand how the prop is built, how it will work, ie. groups I think it is much easier to understand S5 in general.

Alan...

Alan...

• Like 1

Thanks Alan I’m not home now but Monday I’ll send my channel layout for my 5 Coro faces   4 trees and 1 Coro Santa face