Light-O-Rama Forums

Transferring sequence via email or loaded on disc

mharr77

I am trying to program a sequence for my son.  As I progress with this, I would like to either email it to him or put it on a disk so he can see what his house and lights will look like and the animation.  How do I do this.

I have previously had sequences for my home but now live in an assisted care facility where I cannot use it for this place.  I still enjoy making these sequences so am doing one for my sons house.  

Michael Harrington

mharr77@gmail.com

I am still working thru S5 myself. I assume your son is on S5 as well as its not backwards compatible.

You will need the following:

• sequence name.loredit
  • music file
  • if you use motion effects like video or pictures, he will need those.

It's not as easy to get someone's sequence running as you will need different preview designs so keep that in mind.

If anything else is needed, maybe a more experienced S5 member can chime in.

The best way to share files is by using one of the "cloud" services like Google drive or Dropbox. They all have a free tier, Google is 15GB free, I think. I use Dropbox but my entire server is mirrored there. I have a 2 TB plan which is a little over 100 dollars a year, but I have everything on there and it is my primary offsite backup.

I used to access my S4 files all the time from anywhere using Dropbox. I would imagine you can do the same with S5 and you both need to have the exact same version.

You will need to set your sequencer file paths in /tools to the remote folder for all the data files. Set the motion effects folder in Sequence/file references. Your son will do the same.

The folder structure should be the same on both machines.

This way you will both be using the same files so there will be no problems with who is using the latest modification. You may have to be careful about opening the files at the same time, but I would think the service would be smart enough to stop you from doing that.

One other difference with S5 is the Preview file which is stored in LOR\commondata\LORpreviews.xml. Make sure you have a backup of that file in case either of you mess it up, and it's not difficult to do.

If you want to go old school, it will need to be a usb thumb drive, or other physical media. Email will not let you send large files and Loredit files can be quite large. You can also use Google drive as just a means to transfer files, but he will have to put them in the correct location.

Make extra sure you have constant backups of you precious work, since either of you could easily overwrite or delete a file.

When it comes time to run the show, you or he will need to create all the playback files needed by the show player on the show machine.

@PhilMassey

Thank you for this!!

LOR\commondata\LORpreviews.xml

I was wondering if it stored it inside the sequence like S4 did in the animation screen or outside as an external file. I now know and have it backed up.

Edited by gsmith37064

9 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

The best way to share files is by using one of the "cloud" services like Google drive or Dropbox. They all have a free tier, Google is 15GB free, I think. I use Dropbox but my entire server is mirrored there. I have a 2 TB plan which is a little over 100 dollars a year, but I have everything on there and it is my primary offsite backup.

I used to access my S4 files all the time from anywhere using Dropbox. I would imagine you can do the same with S5 and you both need to have the exact same version.

You will need to set your sequencer file paths in /tools to the remote folder for all the data files. Set the motion effects folder in Sequence/file references. Your son will do the same.

The folder structure should be the same on both machines.

This way you will both be using the same files so there will be no problems with who is using the latest modification. You may have to be careful about opening the files at the same time, but I would think the service would be smart enough to stop you from doing that.

One other difference with S5 is the Preview file which is stored in LOR\commondata\LORpreviews.xml. Make sure you have a backup of that file in case either of you mess it up, and it's not difficult to do.

If you want to go old school, it will need to be a usb thumb drive, or other physical media. Email will not let you send large files and Loredit files can be quite large. You can also use Google drive as just a means to transfer files, but he will have to put them in the correct location.

Make extra sure you have constant backups of you precious work, since either of you could easily overwrite or delete a file.

When it comes time to run the show, you or he will need to create all the playback files needed by the show player on the show machine.

Phil, could you tell me how to do this? I also have a large DB plan but I suck at the cloud systems. I troed to follow online directions to set up he backup of my computer but could never figure it out. 

Thanks

JR

It depends what service you intend to use. I am very familiar with Dropbox, and have used Google Drive before, If you want to backup your entire system you will need to get some level of paid service, worth it IMO, I have nearly a TB of data  constantly backed up. This includes family photos over a hundred years old.

The service you choose should also be protected against ransomware, by allowing rollback to an earlier version if you should get hit, as it could propagate through the cloud storage like any other attached drive.

You should also have a local backup on a disconnected HDD which gets refreshed periodically, just in case.Bear in mind that if you do need to reinstall everything back down, it will take some time, depending on your connection speed, amount of traffic ,and amount of data, potentially days.

The first step is to get your data consolidated into one area, either a specific drive, or a folder or in my case my network server, so the data is not scattered over many folders, My Documents, for example.

Be glad to help, but it would probably be better over the phone.I will be out of town today ( Tool concert in ATL ) but back later tomorrow. 

I want to thank you all for replying to this.  I am going to try the dropbox and if that does not work, will try something else.

Again, Thank you

4 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

It depends what service you intend to use. I am very familiar with Dropbox, and have used Google Drive before, If you want to backup your entire system you will need to get some level of paid service, worth it IMO, I have nearly a TB of data  constantly backed up. This includes family photos over a hundred years old.

The service you choose should also be protected against ransomware, by allowing rollback to an earlier version if you should get hit, as it could propagate through the cloud storage like any other attached drive.

You should also have a local backup on a disconnected HDD which gets refreshed periodically, just in case.Bear in mind that if you do need to reinstall everything back down, it will take some time, depending on your connection speed, amount of traffic ,and amount of data, potentially days.

The first step is to get your data consolidated into one area, either a specific drive, or a folder or in my case my network server, so the data is not scattered over many folders, My Documents, for example.

Be glad to help, but it would probably be better over the phone.I will be out of town today ( Tool concert in ATL ) but back later tomorrow. 

Phil, I to also pay for the 2 tb storage size. It actually says 2.02 tb. I just have not been successful with configuring my computer so I have been using external ssds to backup but at the daily rate they get full quick.

I think you have it but I will message you my # and when you have time (after the concert) perhaps you can walk me through the process. I saw Tool in NY while I was in the Army, enjoy.

Thanks

JR

Here are my plans:  Going to put LOR on my son's computer.  Going to sign in to drop box and upload the ims file.  Then going to show the animation and click the green arrow to see if it all works.  I might have to download the music for it but will see.  

Does that sound logical?

I presume, since you are on S5, by animation, you mean the preview. You will need to copy the lorpreview.xml file from commondata. You may need to re attach the media file.

I am so sorry.  I have a 16 channel controller but I know nothing about S4, S5 etc.  I program light shows for my own use into this unit.  While doing it, I had a picture of my house and placed the lighting on that picture according to the channel, then configured the channel to the music.  I am computer literate to a point.  I do not know what lorpreview.xml is or commondata. 

I am retired but am 182 years old but no dummy and am willing to learn this stuff further.  My son got me this unit several years ago for Christmas and I have worked my way through the jargon but apparently missed some of it.

I really appreciate the comeback on my post but maybe I will just help him and give him my computer with the stuff on it.

Again, Thank you

Michael Harrington

mharr77@gmail.com 

S4 is the previous version ie, 4..x.x., while S5 is the latest, ie 5.3.14.

Your profile says your version is 5.3.14 so that is the latest current version. Your son will need to use the same version.

If you look in your Light O Rama folder, where all your data lives, you will find the CommonData folder which houses the preview file, ( what you call animation, I think)  LORpreviews.xml

Your LOR folders are usually in your user folder, but the exact path may be different depending on which Windows Version you are using. You can also change the location in preferences.

For example, mine is C:\Users\Basement\Documents\Light-O-Rama on Windows 10.

• The topic was locked