Light-O-Rama Forums

Could a Power Surge Up the Ethernet Cable Fry my USB485?

GeekDadKen

Here's the story:

Two devices on the network for our general landscape lighting in the off-holiday period:  CMD24D and one of the 50W floods. Doing some yard trimming, the power cable to the flood gets cut, with some sparks. Afterward, the CMD24D appears fried; no blinking light on the board, though if I unplug it for a while and plug it back in, it will flash once and go dark. I have done a couple proper resets using the pin, to no avail. Verified that the AC outlet is live. Have tried connecting boards/devices to the USB485 directly, but while the Comms Listener sees the USB485 (I see "COM3 Opened as part of REG with speed 57.6k"), none of the devices register on the network. Yes, I've rebooted the computer more that once to restart the software, and plugged the USB485 into different USB ports (and plugged other devices into those USB ports to make sure THEY weren't fried). Through what I've tested, all I can think is that somehow a power surge ran up the ethernet cable from the 50W Flood, through the CMD24D (frying it), and up to the USB485, damaging it as well. Is this even remotely possible?

Do I have this right?

The 50W flood is on the same LOR network as the CMB24 (dumb controller) . You cut the Floods AC cord (ONLY)?

I was going to say No, but then I came up with a really off the wall scenario :

You cut the Green and white before the black. The black connected to th LIGHT SIDE green for an instant.

As I said OFF THE WALL

The short answer is - it's possible.

My first suggestion would be to get a replacement USB to RS485 adapter.  Even if you don't need it, having a spare USB to RS-485 adapter is likely the most important spare part to have because without a working adapter, you have no show.

The most likely failure is with the RS-485 chip on the the CMB24 and the flood.  That's an educated guess BTW.  If it is the chip, it can be replaced.

14 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Do I have this right?

The 50W flood is on the same LOR network as the CMB24 (dumb controller) . You cut the Floods AC cord (ONLY)?

I was going to say No, but then I came up with a really off the wall scenario :

You cut the Green and white before the black. The black connected to th LIGHT SIDE green for an instant.

As I said OFF THE WALL

Yup, that's pretty much the story. Just feels nuts that the surge from the power cut could jump to the network connection.

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

The short answer is - it's possible.

My first suggestion would be to get a replacement USB to RS485 adapter.  Even if you don't need it, having a spare USB to RS-485 adapter is likely the most important spare part to have because without a working adapter, you have no show.

The most likely failure is with the RS-485 chip on the the CMB24 and the flood.  That's an educated guess BTW.  If it is the chip, it can be replaced.

Yeah, that's my first step - replace the adapter and see if I can get other devices that weren't connected at the time of "the incident" to connect again. 

And if the RS-485 chip on the CMB24 can be replaced, that's a much better solution than replacing the board!

I am not following how the USB485 adapter was damaged, you mentioned these were landscape lights do you leave the controllers connected to a computer?

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I am not following how the USB485 adapter was damaged, you mentioned these were landscape lights do you leave the controllers connected to a computer?

Yup; everything is running off a laptop in the garage that's on 24/7.

1 hour ago, GeekDadKen said:

Yup; everything is running off a laptop in the garage that's on 24/7.

Since you are using them for landscape lights you know you can use the CMB24D as a stand alone and install a sequence in it and not have to use a computer.

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Since you are using them for landscape lights you know you can use the CMB24D as a stand alone and install a sequence in it and not have to use a computer.

That depends on what you are doing for your landscape lighting.    Can't run my  landscape lighting as a "standalone" sequence for two reasons.  One is that I run interactive sequences, and the second is that over half the channels are E1.31.

Edited by k6ccc

17 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I do now! (Learned how to do that with a servodog over the holidays but hadn’t realized it was an option for the CMB as well). Thanks!

46 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That depends on what you are doing for your landscape lighting.    Can't run my  landscape lighting as a "standalone" sequence for two reasons.  One is that I run interactive sequences, and the second is that over half the channels are E1.31.

Your situation is probably different then most who run landscape lights. My understanding is that they are using a CMB24D and a floodlight or two so a sequence installed in the CMB24D would be fine. Plug the CMB24D into a timer and program to run when powere on and the computer can go bye bye.

• 4 weeks later...

So, a follow up on my progress back from this small disaster. I've replaced the USB485 adapter, and that got the network going again to an undamaged board for pass-through, and to an undamaged flood. But discovered that the ethernet cable that had been the link between the flood that had its power cord cut, and the CMB24D that was damaged was also non-functional anymore (go figure!). Replaced that, and I now have one flood doing a little bit of work again out in the front yard. 

My next question is that k6ccc suggested the comms chip on the board could be replaced, rather than buying a whole new board. Does that require soldering, or is it something that can be popped off and replaced easily? And if it's straightforward, does LOR sell those chips?

2 hours ago, GeekDadKen said:

My next question is that k6ccc suggested the comms chip on the board could be replaced, rather than buying a whole new board. Does that require soldering, or is it something that can be popped off and replaced easily? And if it's straightforward, does LOR sell those chips?

Don't hold me to this, but I think it is soldered (never really looked).  And yes, LOR can make the chips available from what I've heard...

On 2/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, GeekDadKen said:

I'd check to see if you can send it back in to be fixed if you're not comfortable soldering.

• The topic was locked