Light-O-Rama Forums

Boscoyo Three Ring Arch

Damon Hobbs

I need some guidance on the Boscoyo  three ring arch please.  I want to have a total of three of these arches in next years show. 

Each arch has 3 rows with 42 nodes per row. 

Is it advisable to make each row a separate channel with its own 42 nodes, or the whole arch utilizing one channel with a total of 126 nodes in a continuous string? 

What do the seasoned veterans say?  Thanks for all input. 

I am using S5 Pro, will more than likely control with a pixie device, size depending on whether they require one channel for each arch or 3 channels for each arch. 

Thanks!

Damon 

First of all, a terminology correction.  I assume what you are referring to as a "channel" is really a single output or port from the controller.  That is not a "channel".  Assuming pixels since you mention controlling with a Pixie controller, each pixel normally uses three channels.  Therefore, your 126 nodes would use 378 channels.

With that said, there are advantages and disadvantages to long vs short strings.  If you do a single string of 126 pixels, you would almost certainly need to use power injection.  Some people will do almost anything to avoid that and some don't care at all.  With a single long string, a pixel failure will likely have a far worse effect on your show.  Depending on how you are wiring the props, can also effect the plan.  For that particular prop, it would be fairly easy to wire the first ring from for example left to right, the second ring from right to left and the third ring from left to right.  Power inject either at the end of the string or at the point between the 2nd and 3rd rings (because you already have wires running to that end of the arch).

One thing to keep in mind is that the distance from the pixel controller to the first pixel is somewhat limited.  Back when I started with pixels in 2011, that limit was on the order of 5 - 20 feet depending on which pixel technology was being used.  For a variety of reasons, that has substantially increased over the years.  If your arches are close together (like one next to the other), the distance limit is not much of a problem.  However if they will be on opposite ends of the yard, you are better off to use multiple controllers that are fairly close to the props.

If it were me, and if the arches are close together I would likely use one Pixie 4 with three ports used for the arches and one for either something else or idle / spare.

17 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

First of all, a terminology correction.  I assume what you are referring to as a "channel" is really a single output or port from the controller.  That is not a "channel".  Assuming pixels since you mention controlling with a Pixie controller, each pixel normally uses three channels.  Therefore, your 126 nodes would use 378 channels.

With that said, there are advantages and disadvantages to long vs short strings.  If you do a single string of 126 pixels, you would almost certainly need to use power injection.  Some people will do almost anything to avoid that and some don't care at all.  With a single long string, a pixel failure will likely have a far worse effect on your show.  Depending on how you are wiring the props, can also effect the plan.  For that particular prop, it would be fairly easy to wire the first ring from for example left to right, the second ring from right to left and the third ring from left to right.  Power inject either at the end of the string or at the point between the 2nd and 3rd rings (because you already have wires running to that end of the arch).

One thing to keep in mind is that the distance from the pixel controller to the first pixel is somewhat limited.  Back when I started with pixels in 2011, that limit was on the order of 5 - 20 feet depending on which pixel technology was being used.  For a variety of reasons, that has substantially increased over the years.  If your arches are close together (like one next to the other), the distance limit is not much of a problem.  However if they will be on opposite ends of the yard, you are better off to use multiple controllers that are fairly close to the props.

If it were me, and if the arches are close together I would likely use one Pixie 4 with three ports used for the arches and one for either something else or idle / spare.

Thank you Jim for the guidance, and yes you were correct in me calling a port as a channel.  I get confused with the pixel layout sometimes.  These 3 arches will be fairly close.  Thanks again for your guidance.  I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and knew someone would know the correct way.