Light-O-Rama Forums

Convert channel to RGB

gsmith37064

In the old S4, I could select all the normal light channels and right click and select convert to RGB channels.

How do you do this in S5? I cannot seem to find the option.

This is what I am seeing...

It seems to take twice as long to do anything in S5. Even selecting the color fade takes time now. Having all the play buttons right next to each other on the menu bites as well. I keep hitting play all instead of play from here.

I like how it t no longer upgrades your S4 sequences to S5. When you save, it leaves the old LMS file intact and saves the new one as a loredit. So kudos for that. I am only 3 days into S5, but finding it cumbersome.

Edited by gsmith37064

If you are talking about breaking out RGB channels into their components, the option is in Tools/Sequencer Preferences/Channels Tab/Split RGB channels.

No...That was the issue that I brought up a long while back when S5 was first brought out. That was much needed feature that was missing at that time. That was why I rolled back to S4.

I want to take normal LED channel and convert it to RGB just like I used to do in S4.

Edited by gsmith37064

All done in the Preview Editor.  In the Prop Definition for your non-RGB channel, in the section for Lights, select RGB instead of Traditional.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

All done in the Preview Editor.  In the Prop Definition for your non-RGB channel, in the section for Lights, select RGB instead of Traditional.

So instead of taking twice as long to do it, it takes A LOT longer to convert. I am going back to S4.

Two second per channel is "A LOT longer"?  I opened up a sequence and then edited the preview in order to change 24 traditional strings to 24 dumb RGB strings.  Took about 2 seconds per string.  The hardest part was changing the channel assignments - until I found out how to do that in about 3 seconds (for all 24 strings at once).

Yes, S5 is different, and there is a learning curve and there have been a few issues.  However, once learned, there are lots of positives and very few negatives.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Two second per channel is "A LOT longer"?  I opened up a sequence and then edited the preview in order to change 24 traditional strings to 24 dumb RGB strings.  Took about 2 seconds per string.  The hardest part was changing the channel assignments - until I found out how to do that in about 3 seconds (for all 24 strings at once).

Yes, S5 is different, and there is a learning curve and there have been a few issues.  However, once learned, there are lots of positives and very few negatives.

Yes it is a lot longer. I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get it right. My time is better suited to sequencing. Not trying to figure out how to convert a normal channel to RGB.

I want to select all my face channels at once and convert them to RGB just like I did in S4. After that, copy the channels to my setup. Just give me the menu item back. Why remove features that are useful?

The other thing that saves time in S5 is that you change the preview once, and then all of your other sequences that use the same preview will automatically be changed. No need to change each sequence or export/import an LCC file.

Matt

40 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Because channel assignments are not done in the sequence - they are done in the Preview.

I really am trying to like S5, but the only plus side so far is the RGB spiral tree that's built in now. But that's off topic. :)

I don't care if the normal channels work or not. I just want to turn them RGB as quick as possible and then copy them over to my setup. In S4, I could do 24 channels in 10 seconds. Select all channels, convert to RGB, copy, paste... Boom! Done!

I will give it another night this evening when I get home from work, but I think I already decided on the direction I am going.

45 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Because channel assignments are not done in the sequence - they are done in the Preview.

Now that hit home and I now understand that. I think that's what was hanging me up. I am so used to doing at the sequence level.

12 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

The other thing that saves time in S5 is that you change the preview once, and then all of your other sequences that use the same preview will automatically be changed. No need to change each sequence or export/import an LCC file.

Matt

I think that is what I am having an issue with. I am used to importing my channel config in and moving on. I also did not have to worry about the face channels of JR's sequence. I could just copy them to mine and discard the old one. They did not have to work. It sounds like almost everything is done inside of the preview designer and you can spend a lot of time there when you could care less if someone's face sequence channels do not work. It sounds like I need to get those working correctly before I can do anything? And if I understand right, I only need to get his face channels set up once and from there on, it will just work.

James, JR, and myself share a lot between us... this is going to take some time to get everything going.

Edited by gsmith37064

16 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I think that is what I am having an issue with. I am used to importing my channel config in and moving on. I also did not have to worry about the face channels of JR's sequence. I could just copy them to mine and discard the old one.

That is exactly what I did with JR's faces - in S5.  Open his S4 sequence, copy the entire row for the 8 channels for the first face, and paste that into my sequence.  Repeat for the second face.  The only reason I had to do it one face at a time is that I have three extra channels (two multi-color strings that are used for instrumental songs, and a pink bow used for female singers).  That would be no different with S4.  I did create a preview with his channel assignments simply so I could watch JR's original sequence in case I had any issues with mine, I could go back and look at the original.

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That is exactly what I did with JR's faces - in S5.  Open his S4 sequence, copy the entire row for the 8 channels for the first face, and paste that into my sequence.  Repeat for the second face.  The only reason I had to do it one face at a time is that I have three extra channels (two multi-color strings that are used for instrumental songs, and a pink bow used for female singers).  That would be no different with S4.  I did create a preview with his channel assignments simply so I could watch JR's original sequence in case I had any issues with mine, I could go back and look at the original.

You missed the original topic. I need them converted to RGB as my faces are not normal lights. They are RGB faces. This is why I need to convert them.

Any way, I will sit down tonight and see about getting them converted and tested on a new preview config. It sounds like there is no way to quickly do this in S5.

Convert normal standard lights to RGB.

Edited by gsmith37064

So it seems no one has actually done this.

I just copied all 8 channels of a normal light channel face and pasted them 100 percent perfect into RGB channels. I did not have to do anything in the preview builder. Did not have to mess with channels. So yes it does work with out having to modify channels or anything. It's actually faster in S5 than S4. SURPRISE THERE! I did not have to convert to RGB or anything. Just copy and paste. In S4 if I copied all 8 channels and pasted it into my sequence, it would paste in 3 RGB channels because it would do RED GREEN BLUE. This is why you converted it to RGB prior.

Now as an added bonus that I thought was neat was that it keeps the channel color as well. Not that I care for the color, but I thought it was neat.

I know I know... I did not try copy paste because I was disappointed that the convert to RGB was missing.

Honestly it has been greatly improved and seems to work really well.