Light-O-Rama Forums

Daisy chaining pixie16 & pixie8 and CCP's

indi

Can I daisy chain 2 ea. Pixie 16's and 2 ea. Pixie 8's and 8 ea. CCP's (50 nodes per string) together on one network?

Thanks

Depends on what you are doing (light effect changes). Very simple, very slow changes  it probably will work on a High speed network.

BUT WHY? To save $30 (Red adapter) plus a home run of CAT5?  You COULD Max out a HS adapter with 1 Pixie16 and 1 Pixie8 on the same network

I am not that familiar with the CCP's.  They can they run on a 500K OR Enhanced network, but not 1M ?  That might make it 3 Networks needed

57 minutes ago, indi said:

Can I daisy chain 2 ea. Pixie 16's and 2 ea. Pixie 8's and 8 ea. CCP's (50 nodes per string) together on one network?

Indi, you just did something we see here very routinely.  You listed the controllers, but not the channel count.  Controllers is not what matters - channels is.  There is a huge difference between a Pixie 16 that has 16 strings of 150 pixels and a Pixie 16 that has 9 strings of 25 pixels.  For example, I have a 4 port pixel controller that drives a grand total of 17 pixels.  On the other hand, for 2020, I will have about 3,000 pixels on one controller (that will be on E1.31 - not LOR network).

As theDucks said, the Pixie controllers can run at 1,000K speed, but the CCPs (if they are the original CCPs) can't do faster than 500K.  That fact alone will likely require more than one more network.  Depending on channel loading, you may need as many as three networks for the Pixies and one for the CCPs.  You may not need that many - but you did not give enough information to answer.

Sorry about that, All of the channels would have 50 pixel strings. The reason for the daisy chaining, is that I am out of available USB ports on my computer.

Edited by indi

3 hours ago, indi said:

4 minutes ago, indi said:

Sorry about that, All of the channels would have 50 pixel strings.

Assuming all ports on all four Pixie controllers are in use with 50 pixels each, that would be 2800 pixel total.  That would be pushing it, but likely work on a 1000K network - EXCEPT that the CCPs won't do 1000K.  Trying to run 2800 pixels on a 500K network would be massively pushing it.  If it were me, I would run the CCPs on one network at 500K, and two 1000K networks for the Pixie controllers.

9 minutes ago, indi said:

The reason for the daisy chaining, is that I am out of available USB ports on my computer.

No problem - get a powered USB hub.  I just did a search on Amazon for "powered USB hub" and came up with almost 900 results.

You could get away with an unpowered one (I ran 1 black and 2 red this year on a unpowered one.) , but powered ones give you so many more no need to think about what else gets plugged in

Thanks guys. I think I will have to wait until my son shows up and ask him if the USB hub I already have will work. I think I,m getting too old for this. I can,t remember things like I used too. I'm lucky to just remeber where the bathrooms are in my house!!!!!!!

But again, thanks fellas for the help and advise. 

1 minute ago, indi said:

Thanks guys. I think I will have to wait until my son shows up and ask him if the USB hub I already have will work. I think I,m getting too old for this. I can,t remember things like I used too. I'm lucky to just remeber where the bathrooms are in my house!!!!!!!

But again, thanks fellas for the help and advise. 

Unless it is an ANTIQUE USB1, the answer is yes

• The topic was locked