Light-O-Rama Forums

FM TRANSMITTER

Guest guest

fdny260 wrote:

be aware, ramsey kits come unassembled!!!!!

i realize it says that on the site but i heard a couple people complain that when they got it it was in a thousand pieces. if your not comfy with building electronics and do not know what a soldering gun is then find one all ready assembled.
my kit was missing 2 parts. they were at my doorstep within 2 days:waycool:

I will agree with the be aware part. I about fell over when I got the kit:laughing:. Luckly I have a friend that is great at electronics in which he assembled the kit...

BUT, I too had an issue with 2 parts (major parts).

The red LED light was bad (the guy tested it too) AND the plug-in transformer was bad (no volts what so ever going out of the plug-in transformer (which should be 12VDC).

I HIGHLY SUGGEST PAYING A LITTLE MORE FOR A TRANSMITTER THAT IS ALREADY ASSEMBLED AND TESTED.

I called the company today and they are sending another transformer and LED which I should get in 2 days. That's waiting 2 days to see if it works.

Anyway, I'm not bashing the Ramsey FM25B product (because I haven't seen it work yet, but the company needs to get a better source of parts according to this post and the quote above (and others I'm sure).

GET THE KIT and save time and hassle, not money.

Just wanted everyone to be aware of this.

Tom

All:

I received my FM25b from eBay this past Wednedsay and just set it up now.

First, I found an FM frequency not being used in my area (90.3). Second, I adjusted the DIP switches on the FM transmitter. I turned my radio on and tuned to 90.3. I heard nothing but static, then turned on the FM transmitter, and it went quiet...so I know it's transmitting.

Here's my question: What cord do I need to connect my laptop computer to the FM Transmitter? The cord that came with the FM25b doesn't work, it's not compatible. Would anyone be able to provide me with a part name or possibly even the URL to the cord I need at www.radioshack.com, www.bestbuy.com, or www.circuitcity.com, and I can run out today or tomorrow during my lunch hour to get the right cord.

Next question -- the only audio output I have on my laptop is the "Headphone" jack. Is this where I would plug it into?

Thanks much!

Paul

Paul wrote:

Here's my question: What cord do I need to connect my laptop computer to the FM Transmitter?

Answer: I got mine at Walmart. It's a 6 foot cord, 1/8th inch male stero to RCA male. Ran around 3-6 bucks.

Next question -- the only audio output I have on my laptop is the "Headphone" jack. Is this where I would plug it into?

Answer: YES

Mountain Woman:

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

I ran to Radio Shack and bought this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102950&cp=&pg=2&origkw=shielded+audio+plug&kw=shielded+audio+plug&parentPage=search

got home, plugged one end into the "Headphones" jack on my laptop, and the other end into the FM25b, went out to my car, and had music on 90.3 until the end of the block.

I then realized that I had an "F" antenna that I had for an old TV no longer in use. I plugged that into the back of the FM25b and I was able to go all the way to the end of the subdivision!

I have the FM transmitter, now I need my Controller and finish sequencing a few more songs and I should be ready to go!

Take care!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

I then realized that I had an "F" antenna that I had for an old TV no longer in use. I plugged that into the back of the FM25b and I was able to go all the way to the end of the subdivision!

Of course, you are not going to leave that on there, right? That was just for testing? If you leave that in place, you run a higher risk of being shut down.

Please, stick to the FCC guidelines. It's better for everyone in our hobby.

Don wrote:

BvrBru1 wrote:

Of course, you are not going to leave that on there, right? That was just for testing? If you leave that in place, you run a higher risk of being shut down.

Please, stick to the FCC guidelines. It's better for everyone in our hobby.

Yes, just for testing. Won't be broadcasting again until X-mas.