Light-O-Rama Forums

House bouncing

kingfish

A few years ago I remember people doing what I would call the house bouncing to the beat 

If I remember correctly it was two sets of icicle light and bulb on top 

Does anybody, do this, remember this or have the old vid

Now that I'm not trying to do this on my phone, I will give a longer answer.  I have run two rows of GE Color Effects bulbs on my eves since 2014 and on the roof peak since 2017.  Here's a view from a different angle:

GECE_dual_mounting_strip.jpg

You can see examples of how I used it in  this video at about 2:50.  You can also tell that I do not conceal the fact that there are two rows of lights.

The mounting clip for the GECE bulbs made dual mounting very easy.  They are smart RGB, so I can make each bulb whatever color I want.  To make the house "hop", I turn off the lower bulbs and turn on the upper bulbs - typically for 100mSec, then back to the lower bulb.  There are several ways to accomplish that, but since I do almost all my sequencing in SuperStar, most of the time, I have a SuperStar Image with the bulbs in whatever colors they happen to be at that time, and apply the image to a different group of bulbs to make it hop.  You can also do that with Scenes, but that is more trouble since you have to have a separate Scene for each color.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2020 at 9:01 AM, k6ccc said:

Now that I'm not trying to do this on my phone, I will give a longer answer.  I have run two rows of GE Color Effects bulbs on my eves since 2014 and on the roof peak since 2017.  Here's a view from a different angle:

GECE_dual_mounting_strip.jpg

You can see examples of how I used it in  this video at about 2:50.  You can also tell that I do not conceal the fact that there are two rows of lights.

The mounting clip for the GECE bulbs made dual mounting very easy.  They are smart RGB, so I can make each bulb whatever color I want.  To make the house "hop", I turn off the lower bulbs and turn on the upper bulbs - typically for 100mSec, then back to the lower bulb.  There are several ways to accomplish that, but since I do almost all my sequencing in SuperStar, most of the time, I have a SuperStar Image with the bulbs in whatever colors they happen to be at that time, and apply the image to a different group of bulbs to make it hop.  You can also do that with Scenes, but that is more trouble since you have to have a separate Scene for each color.

what kind of clips are you using?

10 minutes ago, caniac said:

what kind of clips are you using?

The stock clips and bases that come with the GECE bulbs.  The only mod  do is clip off the round part that clips over a gutter.  Those have both a top and bottom button that clips into the base on the bulbs.  One word of warning about those.  They do not handle UV light very well.  Make sure they are 100% covered by paint or else they get brittle pretty fast.

I can post a photo of the stock and modified clips this evening if desired.

I still do this with my icicle lights. I don't have a video of last year but I do have 2018 video of it. It starts around the 1 minute mark.

Tom

Looks good now what’s the secret. Is it two strands tied one hanging from the bottom of the other and what kind of timing

On 1/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, kingfish said:

Looks good now what’s the secret. Is it two strands tied one hanging from the bottom of the other and what kind of timing

2 sets of icicles zip tied together as shown in the picture attached. 

Tom

Double icicle.jpg

• Like 1