Light-O-Rama Forums
MichRX7

The things I'm going to add in 2020

Yeah, I will be adding more , got plans let's just see if I get there.  Just got three 5 foot art trees that are flocked, those will get three channels each ,multi,a solid color and pure white . they will be in front of the garage door , in front of those I have planed a motorized "Believe" sign that would move  from flat to vertical then back to it's housing, that will be lit with leds and made from coro, will also have floods . I found a geared drapery motor with adjustable stops that should do the trick , well at least I have a year to figure it all out. Waiting for spring sale itching to build yet another controller kit, and maybe a RGB flood system. This past year I bought a bunch of lites from Earle Talley , they can be seen in my display  on the four trees I added for 2019,  four art trees three channels each with multi,solid and pure white  on each tree-Thank you Earle ,everyone loved them. I am still trying to wrangle the thrift store where I bought the 6 foot wire snowflakes for the other two . I re lit the ones I used this year last spring with new white and then blue.  This year I added blue nets to the front drive hedges so it is multi then blue 2 channels. the day after Christmas I was at our Wally world at 5:45 AM to get the blue nets at 50% off  for the much larger hedge along the drive way . There will be 18 sets of multi and 18 sets of blue on that one hedge.   Well that's so far ,the year is young!   hehehehehe

David

So, also thinking about doing a Halloween show at my son-in-law's house this year since he gets many many many (did I say many yet?) many more trick-or-treaters than we do and was looking at video projection, but everything I can find looks like you can only run one video camera in S4, so now thinking of doing 5 singing faces within one video. At first I thought maybe I could buy some of the pre-created styrofoam tombstones and put a white oval protruding out of it and video onto the oval, then place the tombstones so the faces project onto them, but the problem is that the video doesn't seem to have a transparency and will project black across the background and the tombstones. So now I'm thinking of cutting a shape out of white pvc board like a tombstone and then projecting that tombstone image (5 tombstone images) onto the tombstones and I decided to give my first video a try with just a cheap tombstone.

The first video was ok when I transported it, but believe it or not the frames per second was too high and made it look very smooth, and the exposure was too low making it look to real. So, I increased the exposure and lowered the FPS down to 7, and now feel pretty confident in how I might go about doing this (see video below). Has anyone else done anything like this? If so, how did you give it that creepy feel?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Anvyz6B-R-i9gsNOTMZwvIiZll_kOg

Edited by MichRX7

If I don't go dark this year:

• retiring or converting my 4 old Holiday Coro singing trees from LED's to smart pixels.
  • Then using the 8 - 10 LED strings each from the trees (about 40 strings of 75), cover a multitude of shrubs and bushes in the front yard
  • Still considering moving heads, bought a cheap one last year to play with, lots of work in programming IMO unless someone found a "shortcut"
  • Debating whether to expand my 16 x 50 mega tree (lots of work in scaling though) or adding a second mega

16 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

• retiring or converting my 4 old Holiday Coro singing trees from LED's to smart pixels.
  • Then using the 8 - 10 LED strings each from the trees (about 40 strings of 75), cover a multitude of shrubs and bushes in the front yard
  • Still considering moving heads, bought a cheap one last year to play with, lots of work in programming IMO unless someone found a "shortcut"
  • Debating whether to expand my 16 x 50 mega tree (lots of work in scaling though) or adding a second mega

Change to xLights and let it do the scaling.

1 hour ago, jwblazek said:

If you have SS the scaling is easy. Takes a few seconds. 

The tech has advanced and the conversion from LED to RGB in SE has gotten lag free for the faces so I have started converting and adding RGB to the faces I create. I am in the process of drilling and stamping holes in my 10mm coro to retire my face lineup as well. Will be happy to get just 4 pumpkins done for Halloween and 12 of my faces for Christmas. I am building them with colored coro so they will look good in the daytime as well.

Remember this - purchase 11mm drill bits for the 12mm nodes. 7/16' is to large and they will slip through. I purchased multiple bits to test. After testing the 11mm is the absolute best fit. They will not fall out. I now have 20, 11mm bits. Forstner bits work great. They tend to try to travel a little so put pressure on them. A regular drill bit works fine. They are about $3-6 each depending.

Shortly I will be 100% pixels and can minimize my inventory of AC controllers. 

JR

20 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

If you have SS the scaling is easy. Takes a few seconds. 

The tech has advanced and the conversion from LED to RGB in SE has gotten lag free for the faces so I have started converting and adding RGB to the faces I create. I am in the process of drilling and stamping holes in my 10mm coro to retire my face lineup as well. Will be happy to get just 4 pumpkins done for Halloween and 12 of my faces for Christmas. I am building them with colored coro so they will look good in the daytime as well.

Remember this - purchase 11mm drill bits for the 12mm nodes. 7/16' is to large and they will slip through. I purchased multiple bits to test. After testing the 11mm is the absolute best fit. They will not fall out. I now have 20, 11mm bits. Forstner bits work great. They tend to try to travel a little so put pressure on them. A regular drill bit works fine. They are about $3-6 each depending.

Shortly I will be 100% pixels and can minimize my inventory of AC controllers. 

JR

How far apart are you drilling the holes? I was thinking about doing them like I did my bells on the coro this year where I just laid the lights end to end, but might drill holes from the back instead.

54 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

How far apart are you drilling the holes? I was thinking about doing them like I did my bells on the coro this year where I just laid the lights end to end, but might drill holes from the back instead.

Pixels are 2". If you build intricate designs you have to test to see where you can capture the best lines. Being non standard mouth shapes my pumpkins will take some work. If you get the lights closer than 2" they become a blur or one huge glowing light, even if intensity is adjusted.

JR 

First and foremost for me is adding another 16 channel controller. 

Last year was my 1st LOR year and found out 16 channels wasn't enough. 12,000 lights, 1 Mega tree, house 6 small homemade xmas trees, fence, 7 other trees. You get the point.

Refurbish my 20 foot mega tree ie make it easier to set up and add more strings. Maybe another mega tree on top of my garage,

Figure out how to wrap my brick chimney above the roof line. Any ideas would be great!!!!!

Add lights to the last 2 trees in my yard and ask the neighbor if I can "Borrow" a couple of their trees.

Adding a 12 strip horizontal matrix     (2811 strips  falcon f16v3 controller ) and replacing all 12 strips on my lor ccr tree with 2811 strips and the Falcon F16v3 controller   Also adding  12   23 inch candy canes from

BOSCOYO , Plus just got done swapping all my 3 core waterproof pigtails to the same type .

• Like 1

Thanks Mr Post Office Delivery Guy.

It begins...

y4mcAfkkWmASdruZu8WxHQ6bg9zThiwxQNNrGrWL

Just now, MichRX7 said:

Thanks Mr Post Office Delivery Guy.

It begins...

y4mcAfkkWmASdruZu8WxHQ6bg9zThiwxQNNrGrWL

Cool

9 minutes ago, caniac said:

Cool

Yeah, if only I knew what I was doing...

9 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Yeah, if only I knew what I was doing...

You will get there, lots of resources 

Yep, lots of help available.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yep, lots of help available.

Get to do it again with a P5 and reconfiging my P10.

Caniac     I see your changing your P10  panels to P5  ,  I have been running 6  P10 panels with raspberry Pi 3 for 2 years now sequencing thru L O R    how difficult is it to switch to the P5 panels ?  Thanks Dennis

29 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Caniac     I see your changing your P10  panels to P5  ,  I have been running 6  P10 panels with raspberry Pi 3 for 2 years now sequencing thru L O R    how difficult is it to switch to the P5 panels ?  Thanks Dennis

Just a larger matrix, so more channels.  If you are replacing your P10 with same size P5 (double the number pixels in both X and Y axis), and want the same sequencing, you will need to scale the sequencing.  Both SuperStar and Motion Effect in S5 will do that easily.

I have both a 3W x 2H P5 matrix(192 x 64 pixels), and a 4W x 3H P10 matrix (128 x 48 pixels) with the same programming.  Once I lay something out in the P10, it's seconds to put the same effect on the P5.  I am using Motion Effects for my panels because either one exceeds my 12,000 channel SuperStar license.

Jim thanks for the info,   But I'm still using S4 would that be a problem  ?     Dennis

Edited by Dennis Laff

Looking at these:

http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/stsphere.html

17 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Looking at these:

http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/stsphere.html

That's cool!

Kind of a departure from the other stuff on his website.

8 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

Canispater Christmas has a video on putting these together that you might want to check out.

https://blog.canispater.com/2019/10/🎄rgb-pixel-sphere-prop-build-2019-🎄/

Just wish he had turned the lights out in the video to see what they look like in the dark spinning around.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, BWCFWI said:

First and foremost for me is adding another 16 channel controller. 

Last year was my 1st LOR year and found out 16 channels wasn't enough. 12,000 lights, 1 Mega tree, house 6 small homemade xmas trees, fence, 7 other trees. You get the point.

Refurbish my 20 foot mega tree ie make it easier to set up and add more strings. Maybe another mega tree on top of my garage,

Figure out how to wrap my brick chimney above the roof line. Any ideas would be great!!!!!

Add lights to the last 2 trees in my yard and ask the neighbor if I can "Borrow" a couple of their trees.

Get the winch system. There are youtube videos or you can buy the kit from Christmaslightshow com. 

You can get some net lights if you do not have RGB (for your chimney) that's what I did in NY. 

JR

On 1/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, MichRX7 said:

So, also thinking about doing a Halloween show at my son-in-law's house this year since he gets many many many (did I say many yet?) many more trick-or-treaters than we do and was looking at video projection, but everything I can find looks like you can only run one video camera in S4, so now thinking of doing 5 singing faces within one video. At first I thought maybe I could buy some of the pre-created styrofoam tombstones and put a white oval protruding out of it and video onto the oval, then place the tombstones so the faces project onto them, but the problem is that the video doesn't seem to have a transparency and will project black across the background and the tombstones. So now I'm thinking of cutting a shape out of white pvc board like a tombstone and then projecting that tombstone image (5 tombstone images) onto the tombstones and I decided to give my first video a try with just a cheap tombstone.

The first video was ok when I transported it, but believe it or not the frames per second was too high and made it look very smooth, and the exposure was too low making it look to real. So, I increased the exposure and lowered the FPS down to 7, and now feel pretty confident in how I might go about doing this (see video below). Has anyone else done anything like this? If so, how did you give it that creepy feel?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Anvyz6B-R-i9gsNOTMZwvIiZll_kOg

Cool! See, already I'm stealing ideas.  I already do the Grim Grinning Ghosts with a cheap projector (a toy really, but it works) and I turn my garage into a giant plasma screen (using a plastic shower curtain and some black plastic around it) and rear project one of those AtmosFX dvds. Now I have a second really good projector so I'm looking for something new to try. I tried using light weight gray netting to create an image that appeared in the middle of my graveyard and it looked great, but only from the correct viewing angle.

Video editing is really fast and easy now. Have you tried using Cyberlink or similar to remove the background and make it transparent?

6 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Cool! See, already I'm stealing ideas.  I already do the Grim Grinning Ghosts with a cheap projector (a toy really, but it works) and I turn my garage into a giant plasma screen (using a plastic shower curtain and some black plastic around it) and rear project one of those AtmosFX dvds. Now I have a second really good projector so I'm looking for something new to try. I tried using light weight gray netting to create an image that appeared in the middle of my graveyard and it looked great, but only from the correct viewing angle.

Video editing is really fast and easy now. Have you tried using Cyberlink or similar to remove the background and make it transparent?

Tinkered with this last year, spend the money on a good projector.  My first test of my evil angel was ok but when I upgraded the projector it even scared me!