Light-O-Rama Forums

The things I'm going to add in 2020

MichRX7

Caniac     I see your changing your P10  panels to P5  ,  I have been running 6  P10 panels with raspberry Pi 3 for 2 years now sequencing thru L O R    how difficult is it to switch to the P5 panels ?  Thanks Dennis

29 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Caniac     I see your changing your P10  panels to P5  ,  I have been running 6  P10 panels with raspberry Pi 3 for 2 years now sequencing thru L O R    how difficult is it to switch to the P5 panels ?  Thanks Dennis

Just a larger matrix, so more channels.  If you are replacing your P10 with same size P5 (double the number pixels in both X and Y axis), and want the same sequencing, you will need to scale the sequencing.  Both SuperStar and Motion Effect in S5 will do that easily.

I have both a 3W x 2H P5 matrix(192 x 64 pixels), and a 4W x 3H P10 matrix (128 x 48 pixels) with the same programming.  Once I lay something out in the P10, it's seconds to put the same effect on the P5.  I am using Motion Effects for my panels because either one exceeds my 12,000 channel SuperStar license.

Jim thanks for the info,   But I'm still using S4 would that be a problem  ?     Dennis

Edited by Dennis Laff

17 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Looking at these:

http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/stsphere.html

That's cool!

Kind of a departure from the other stuff on his website.

8 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

Canispater Christmas has a video on putting these together that you might want to check out.

https://blog.canispater.com/2019/10/🎄rgb-pixel-sphere-prop-build-2019-🎄/

Just wish he had turned the lights out in the video to see what they look like in the dark spinning around.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, BWCFWI said:

First and foremost for me is adding another 16 channel controller. 

Last year was my 1st LOR year and found out 16 channels wasn't enough. 12,000 lights, 1 Mega tree, house 6 small homemade xmas trees, fence, 7 other trees. You get the point.

Refurbish my 20 foot mega tree ie make it easier to set up and add more strings. Maybe another mega tree on top of my garage,

Figure out how to wrap my brick chimney above the roof line. Any ideas would be great!!!!!

Add lights to the last 2 trees in my yard and ask the neighbor if I can "Borrow" a couple of their trees.

Get the winch system. There are youtube videos or you can buy the kit from Christmaslightshow com. 

You can get some net lights if you do not have RGB (for your chimney) that's what I did in NY. 

JR

On 1/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, MichRX7 said:

So, also thinking about doing a Halloween show at my son-in-law's house this year since he gets many many many (did I say many yet?) many more trick-or-treaters than we do and was looking at video projection, but everything I can find looks like you can only run one video camera in S4, so now thinking of doing 5 singing faces within one video. At first I thought maybe I could buy some of the pre-created styrofoam tombstones and put a white oval protruding out of it and video onto the oval, then place the tombstones so the faces project onto them, but the problem is that the video doesn't seem to have a transparency and will project black across the background and the tombstones. So now I'm thinking of cutting a shape out of white pvc board like a tombstone and then projecting that tombstone image (5 tombstone images) onto the tombstones and I decided to give my first video a try with just a cheap tombstone.

The first video was ok when I transported it, but believe it or not the frames per second was too high and made it look very smooth, and the exposure was too low making it look to real. So, I increased the exposure and lowered the FPS down to 7, and now feel pretty confident in how I might go about doing this (see video below). Has anyone else done anything like this? If so, how did you give it that creepy feel?

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Anvyz6B-R-i9gsNOTMZwvIiZll_kOg

Cool! See, already I'm stealing ideas.  I already do the Grim Grinning Ghosts with a cheap projector (a toy really, but it works) and I turn my garage into a giant plasma screen (using a plastic shower curtain and some black plastic around it) and rear project one of those AtmosFX dvds. Now I have a second really good projector so I'm looking for something new to try. I tried using light weight gray netting to create an image that appeared in the middle of my graveyard and it looked great, but only from the correct viewing angle.

Video editing is really fast and easy now. Have you tried using Cyberlink or similar to remove the background and make it transparent?

6 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Cool! See, already I'm stealing ideas.  I already do the Grim Grinning Ghosts with a cheap projector (a toy really, but it works) and I turn my garage into a giant plasma screen (using a plastic shower curtain and some black plastic around it) and rear project one of those AtmosFX dvds. Now I have a second really good projector so I'm looking for something new to try. I tried using light weight gray netting to create an image that appeared in the middle of my graveyard and it looked great, but only from the correct viewing angle.

Video editing is really fast and easy now. Have you tried using Cyberlink or similar to remove the background and make it transparent?

Tinkered with this last year, spend the money on a good projector.  My first test of my evil angel was ok but when I upgraded the projector it even scared me!

20 minutes ago, tlogan said:

THIEF! 🤣

I use VideoPad video editor. It removes backgrounds and green screens in such almost faster than I can click the apply button on my new laptop. The only thing I've noticed about is that for some reason it gets really slow if I bring in a .mov from an iPhone, but convert that to mp4 and it zooms through it. I have an Android phone so no issues there. It's just my son-in-law and his stupid iPhone that gives me issues.

14 minutes ago, caniac said:

Tinkered with this last year, spend the money on a good projector.  My first test of my evil angel was ok but when I upgraded the projector it even scared me!

Do you have a vimeo or youtube channel where I can see your evil angel in action? I haven't hooked up the projector yet, so everything I'm doing is watching what it looks like on the PC and me grinning wildly imagining what it'll look like in October.

5 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Do you have a vimeo or youtube channel where I can see your evil angel in action? I haven't hooked up the projector yet, so everything I'm doing is watching what it looks like on the PC and me grinning wildly imagining what it'll look like in October.

Nope, what I did was buy a $50 projector off of Amazon and took it outside.  It looked ok so I borrowed a high end unit from a local audio/visual store.  OMG what a difference!!

57 minutes ago, caniac said:

I have two really good projectors now. I keep thinking about a third. I get on this auction site and a month ago or so there was an AV type place going out of business and I bid on lot of 4 pretty good projectors, but I missed the final minutes of the bidding. Turned out it got to a lot more than I was willing to spend. I need to keep an eye out for a good deal.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:42 PM, caniac said:

Cool

Now that I've got the 2 p5 panels all wired up and working, yes I agree it is pretty darn cool. Many thanks to @k6ccc who patiently helped me through my struggles (patiently). The only issue is now I want more... MORE I TELL YOU!

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 12:07 AM, dibblejr said:

Get the winch system. There are youtube videos or you can buy the kit from Christmaslightshow com. 

You can get some net lights if you do not have RGB (for your chimney) that's what I did in NY. 

JR

Thanks I guess I never thought of net light. DUH!!

Brian

• 2 months later...

Well, it's April and I am staying in and working around the house , we are on lock down here in Fort lauderdale  as is everyone else.  Nuttin to do ,well not really , plenty, but time for projects. Got one almost done ,little more work to do on the Believe sign  the enclosure for when its down  Made it from coro and painted it , an old BBQ motor from garage along with stuff from my many junk boxes.  Will  go with the song Believe ,polar express  and couple others . Le tme know what yall think.

Vimeo.com/405149452

David