Light-O-Rama Forums

Best starter controller

Ponderosa

I am not real computer savvy, but trainable. I have a grandson that builds and programs them tho. 😀

We want to start out with a 16 circuit system possibly expand later since we have a 1/4 mile frontage that can be seen from I70 in central Ks.

One of my questions is does each circuit use a common ground/neutral or does each circuit need it's own?

My reason for asking is I already have 500 ft. of 16 conductor direct bury wire. Wanting to know if a common ground can be used for each circuit.

More questions later.

Ponderosa

So do you want to run the sequences from a computer or do you want to completely stand alone?

Are you looking at having Pixels or traditional lighting?

How many songs do you see yourself sequencing?

You will need to be able to sequence on a computer but a lot of people get the Showtime versions which can run with a show you create and then upload via an SD CARD. 

I started by buying 4 LOR 16 Channel A/C Controllers. By the end of season 1, I had purchased 3 more. I am now up to 8 LOR 16 Channel Sequencers (nearly 8 seasons later) and have added 2 pixel controllers so far. That is the beauty of LOR is getting to grow and add as you want without having to worry about connectivity much. I use the LOR wifi as well to reach controllers where I do not want to pull a network cable all the way out. I also now double up controllers per unit (for example 2 of my controllers are Unit ID 03 which controls my mini trees - this allows me to put 4 on either side of my walkway and have them do the same things with separate controllers.

Enjoy your new addiction - it is a heck of a lot of fun.

15 hours ago, Ponderosa said:

One of my questions is does each circuit use a common ground/neutral or does each circuit need it's own?

My reason for asking is I already have 500 ft. of 16 conductor direct bury wire. Wanting to know if a common ground can be used for each circuit.

Ponderosa

Per your question, the CTB16PC Controllers if purchased as a pre-built ready to run controller all have a common ground, but each channels dangle does have a green ground wire that connects to a central ground screw, also each dangle is connected to it's own triac on the HOT side via spade terminals, each dangle also has it's own neutral connection via spade terminals.   RGB Controllers are a completely different set up in their wiring.

And just in case you ask, a dangle is the cord {3 wire female} that your AC powered lights or props would connect to coming out of the controller.  Each CTB16PC Controller has 16 dangles, which are it's channel connections.

16 cond would not be enough for all ckts..  (note: you did not state the Gauge of these conductors. A Bank can support 12A. That says you neutralS needs to support 12A per bank (14Ga) . so we might be down to 14 Small Loads )

Yes the NEUTRAL is common per Bank in a CTB16, BUT your cables neutral must handle the SUM of the load currents AND you need a Green ground/3rd prong outlet, if there will be any METAL at the load ends  (many strings ARE 2 wire, so if nothing else, you might pass on the Green wire)

1/4 mile (1300') is a lot of frontage (and wire) . I suggest Multiple controllers, each located mid point  (350' 950' )of their section of coverage AT the perimeter  That way the longest channel cable ,is under 400' (depends on how long/short  your strings are.)

(don't worry about extra channels. Those find uses (for other props nearby) reeeely fast :D