Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
ebrown1972

Can we expect new effects to be added to S5 this year?

Recommended Posts

It has been quite a while since S5 has received any new effects and I do understand that other things took priority. My question is, will we see some new effects added this year? It would be handy to have a morph effect, a galaxy type of effect, and maybe some bouncing ball effects or similar. At least those are a few I would like to see. I would eventually love to see a moving head prop also as quite a few of us are starting to use moving heads in our displays. What would everyone else like to see?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see an ability to modify the dimensions of pixel trees and matrices. I have purchased several of these sequences and would like to expand the dimensions. I am aware Superstar (the most expensive software in the industry) has a function but it would be nice to see it in S5? Anyone know if xlights give the ability to modify the dimensions of matrices and pixel trees? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zooo said:

I would like to see an ability to modify the dimensions of pixel trees and matrices. I have purchased several of these sequences and would like to expand the dimensions. I am aware Superstar (the most expensive software in the industry) has a function but it would be nice to see it in S5? Anyone know if xlights give the ability to modify the dimensions of matrices and pixel trees? 

Yes, it does. You just import the effects and it will adjust the settings to the correct dimensions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Yes, it does. You just import the effects and it will adjust the settings to the correct dimensions

What about when the pixel tree sequence does not have and motion effect rows and is all at the individual pixel level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, zooo said:

What about when the pixel tree sequence does not have and motion effect rows and is all at the individual pixel level?

I haven't tried it with .lms files. When you import effects through xlights it will give you the option of importing .lms files, .sup files, and even .loredit files. I have only tried sup files so I cannot speak for importing the other file types

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I upgraded to S5 last night and was highly disappointed in the motion effects. I wanted to do more with my spinner this year as I currently do it all by hand.

Is there a way to do a real spiral swirl with a spinner? I would have thought that would be a default effect... but nope. I guess I will continue to learn Xlights...

Edited by gsmith37064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. Some new effects would be great. Especially for spinners and snowflakes. A lot of my sequencing for these props were done at the individual pixel level to get the effect I needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I upgraded to S5 last night and was highly disappointed in the motion effects. I wanted to do more with my spinner this year as I currently do it all by hand.

Is there a way to do a real spiral swirl with a spinner? I would have thought that would be a default effect... but nope. I guess I will continue to learn Xlights...

I'm right there with you. I wish the people at LOR would at least give us an idea about new effects. I have seen other responses to posts, but this one has not seen any from the LOR guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Default can share in this thread. He is one of the most helpful members here and has done some amazing work with his props. 

I am rebuilding my vis to import in to S5. I imported using a sequence and the preview, well wasn't good at all, as a matter of fact didn't work at all. I then added one of my singing face groups manually and it didn't work either same garbled up mess of lights.

Subscribed for the knowledge.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Maybe Default can share in this thread. He is one of the most helpful members here and has done some amazing work with his props. 

I am rebuilding my vis to import in to S5. I imported using a sequence and the preview, well wasn't good at all, as a matter of fact didn't work at all. I then added one of my singing face groups manually and it didn't work either same garbled up mess of lights.

Subscribed for the knowledge.

JR

I will most likely make the switch. I have plans to use a BBB to run my show later this year anyway. I love the way I can upload all of the configurations to the controllers in the other program and there is no need to worry about start channels or universes. I just pick which port of the controller I want to use for what prop and the software does the rest.

Now if LOR makes what I believe to be needed changes, I will possibly continue using them. If not, I most likely won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

love the way I can upload all of the configurations to the controllers in the other program and there is no need to worry about start channels or universes.

I'm just the opposite.  The xLights "absolute channels" makes no sense at all to me.  But maybe it's the techie geek in me - I want to have control of what is happening...  It also locks you into one brand of controller.  Granted that the Falcon controllers are really nice from what I have read, but I for example already have six SanDevices controllers, four LOR pixel controllers (two types - one of which can not be run on DMX), and a bunch of RS-485 controllers (yes, they can be run on DMX).

I wish LOR would come out with a P5 / P10 panel driver board so I didn't have to run FPP for my matrix panels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the effects. That's all. It's a spinner... should be able to make a simple spiral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I want the effects. That's all. It's a spinner... should be able to make a simple spiral.

If you use the "Spokes" shape, then many of the effects produce nice results, including spiral.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

If you use the "Spokes" shape, then many of the effects produce nice results, including spiral.

Matt

I have gone through the effects generator looking for a spoke shape. Can I get more information on where this shape is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have gone through the effects generator looking for a spoke shape. Can I get more information on where this shape is?

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

image.png

My prop was built in the animation screen under S4 and brought over to S5. I then took the channels and made it a group called "Group - Spinner"

I don't see a way to modify the group with the prop definition. Also my prop is 8 spokes. 4 of the spokes are 27 nodes and 4 of the spokes are 21 nodes. So it's not even.

In the center of my spinner is a circle that contains 16 nodes.

Edited by gsmith37064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "spokes" prop does not match a Boscoyo Spinner. I had to use a custom prop for these.

Still need additional effects that can be used with this prop as well as snowflakes.

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My spokes are made with dumb RGBs, wish there was a way to make them spin with an effect, so far I have not found one. I just have to go old school programming and chases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'm just the opposite.  The xLights "absolute channels" makes no sense at all to me.  But maybe it's the techie geek in me - I want to have control of what is happening...  It also locks you into one brand of controller.  Granted that the Falcon controllers are really nice from what I have read, but I for example already have six SanDevices controllers, four LOR pixel controllers (two types - one of which can not be run on DMX), and a bunch of RS-485 controllers (yes, they can be run on DMX).

I wish LOR would come out with a P5 / P10 panel driver board so I didn't have to run FPP for my matrix panels.

 

I do not use absolute channels. I use auto start channels. I just pick what port the model goes on and the software configures the rest. I do not like absolute channels either because it makes adding a model nearly impossible without changing everything else unless its put at the end. In auto start channels, that's not the case. Auto start channels is the same as universe start channels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...