Light-O-Rama Forums

ANOTHER BUG FOUND IN 5.3.14

This is getting old!

A new release fixes one bug, then creates others. Sigh.

Not much to say, the video shows the bug.

• Thanks 1

Bugs are part of life. There isn't a software package out there that doesn't have a bug of some sort.
Yes, it's annoying. Yes, they should happen less, but they are a way of life.

Don,

I know I'm just frustrated with having to jump back and forth between versions in order to continue on with my sequences. As noted in the Release Notes, this is a full release version, not a Beta. It worked in the previous release now, not so much. This why I post the bug in a visual way, showing the bug on how it affects users (me) and hoping for quick fix.

While most people are winding down from thier show season, I am gearing up for mine (spring, summer, fall) It would be nice to know that all of the work I have done with sequencing will still work from new version to new version.

Alan...

Edited by default

Alan, Do I gather that essentially all SuperStar Effects are failing to display in Sequencer - or only certain types?  I would call that BAD!

I expect to be hot 'n heavy on 2020 sequencing in a few weeks.

Jim,

As shown in the video, when you open a sequence with SS effects in 5.3.14, they *seem* to work with 5.3.14. However from that point forward *if* you alter/change a SS effect or add new SS effects, then yes they will be messed up. If you save them this way, then those SS effects with be messed up next time you open the sequence. This is what happened to me, I didn't catch it and saved sequences with a lot of SS changes on individual props. In the video I showed the bug on a bigger scale to make it easier to see.

I've already went back to 5.3.12 just so I came keep sequencing, no sense in bothering with 5.3.14 if it going to cause these kind of issues.

Alan...

Edited by default

At the moment, I am on 5.2.4, and at least for the moment, I think I will stay there...

Thanks

Jim,

Just as an FYI, once you upgrade beyond 5.2.4 and save your sequences in 5.3.X (can't remember exact version) you will no longer to be able to go back to 5.2.4. There was a change that adds something to the sequences and they will no longer load in 5.2.4.

It would be very wise on your part to save all your sequences using 5.2.4 and tuck them away it you should decide to go back. Aside from the show play delay issue (I didn't have this issue) 5.3.12 seems to incorporate all the changes fine. Animated gif's, movies are all good.

Alan...

Thanks for reporting the issue and recording the video. The video made the problem clear and easy to identify. SuperStar effects in 5.3.14 work on props but not on groups. The bug fix has already been coded and will be part of the next release. The sequencing you have done in SuperStar is fine and not lost. The problem is with the rendering in the Sequencer.

Sorry for the disruption this has caused.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

Sorry to sound so pissy, it just was a rough day and this didn't help.

I do appreciate the quick fix, and letting us know what the issue is/was.

Alan...

@default

The title of this topic is "ANOTHER BUG FOUND IN 5.3.14". Besides this one, what other bugs have been reported in 5.3.14? I want to make sure we get them all addressed.

Thanks for your continuing feedback,

Matt

I submitted what I thought/think is a bug in 5.3.8 in September. Since then I have not checked this on later versions. I made the changes in my Preview and have accepted what is happening and moved on. This may or may not be a bug, if it still exist, then this can issues with existing SS effects and the changes made in a Preview in S5 and I wanted to make people aware. Again, what is explained in the video (second issue) may not be a bug, but rather just a result in changing the group prop size and causing existing SS effects to be moved.

Thanks for asking for bugs, I did run across another that I have not been able to dupicate. It has to do with SS Shockwave not always changing the Width to the selected size. This could be a user (me) problem, I'll keep looking and try to screen capture it if/when it happens again.

Alan...

Edited by default

This may not be a bug either, but something I don't understand,

I usually set my props to Use Preview and High Res. I needed to invert a prop so I changed it to custom and flipped each string.

Incidentally, I was doing this because the Fire effect does not have a Down option.

The prop was flipped but the fire effect changed height and scaling.

In a different sequence I was using the  Motion effect Wave with audio waveform changing the height. After the preview change the Motion effect became more like a Bars effect with no wave shape. The scaling seemed different there  too. This was on the preview display and the actual pixels on my bushes.

Changing back to Use Preview and High res fixed the effect so it looked like a wave again.and the scaling/height went back to where it ad originally been.

Phil

8 hours ago, default said:

I submitted what I thought/think is a bug in 5.3.8 in September. Since then I have not checked this on later versions. I made the changes in my Preview and have accepted what is happening and moved on. This may or may not be a bug, if it still exist, then this can issues with existing SS effects and the changes made in a Preview in S5 and I wanted to make people aware. Again, what is explained in the video (second issue) may not be a bug, but rather just a result in changing the group prop size and causing existing SS effects to be moved.

Thanks for asking for bugs, I did run across another that I have not been able to dupicate. It has to do with SS Shockwave not always changing the Width to the selected size. This could be a user (me) problem, I'll keep looking and try to screen capture it if/when it happens again.

Alan...

I've responded to your original bug report for 5.3.8. 

Matt

21 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

This may not be a bug either, but something I don't understand,

I usually set my props to Use Preview and High Res. I needed to invert a prop so I changed it to custom and flipped each string.

Incidentally, I was doing this because the Fire effect does not have a Down option.

The prop was flipped but the fire effect changed height and scaling.

In a different sequence I was using the  Motion effect Wave with audio waveform changing the height. After the preview change the Motion effect became more like a Bars effect with no wave shape. The scaling seemed different there  too. This was on the preview display and the actual pixels on my bushes.

Changing back to Use Preview and High res fixed the effect so it looked like a wave again.and the scaling/height went back to where it ad originally been.

Phil

Preview arrangements and Custom arrangements are completely different and will almost always result in groups that are different sizes (as shown on the Group Definition screen). The differences between the arrangements are explained here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.14/help/group_definition.htm

To get fire coming from the top:

1. create a new group containing only the prop or group you want flipped
  2. choose any arrangement except preview -- Horizontal Stack will work and you don't have the extra columns to deal with like you would with Custom.
  3. change the orientation to flip-vertical
  4. apply the fire effect to the new group and it will do what you want

In this screen capture, I show the Group Definition when flipping the ribbons for the 16-ribbon SuperStar tree:

image.png

That said, I will add a direction parameter to the Fire effect.

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

I see you mention above that you have already coded the fix to the bug in 5.3.14 to correct the preview problem with SuperStar.  Any idea when you will release the fix?  I'm trying my best to got back and clean up the things I don't like in my sequences and the preview problem is really being a challange.  I could uninstall and reinstall 5.3.12 but I'd rather go forward than back.

Thanks a bunch.