Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Steven

Sandevices ELOR is going bad after 7 years

Recommended Posts

The DMX part of my display failed last night. Since 2012, I have been using the ELOR from SanDevices. It emulates 4 iDMX1000s, translating the output to E1.31 multicast, and mirrors universe 4 to a DMX output. I have been using the DMX output to drive 5 RGB DMX floodlights, 3 RGB ribbons, and an 8-RGB-channel mini tree. The E1.31 is connected to an E6804 (which is connected to some GE Color Effects strings).

I would like to repair/replace it, but it is no longer made. I could get an iDMX1000 and bridge the E6804 to my pixel tree network, but that seems overkill, and a lot of work for little gain.

One reason I used the ELOR (emulating an iDMX1000) is that the shimmer effect is much better than directly driving the DMX network through a USB interface.

Any ideas an how to get my DMX fixtures working again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Submit a support ticket with SanDevices.  Jim may have nothing to offer for help, but I would start there.  He has been pretty responsive with me on a ticket I have been working with.

If that does not work, I would suggest going the other direction.  Send E1.31 from the show computer and send that to the E6804.  Set one of the outputs to DMX (if you have one available) and use that to drive the DMX lights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With more investigation, it appears the problem may not be the ELOR.

The DMX output from the ELOR goes to the Seasonal Entertainment Multiport Blender, which repeats the DMX signal on 4 outputs, allowing me to have 4 DMX cables come to one point in the garage instead of being chained in one line. It also inserts power, so I can have 1 power supply in the garage powering all my DMX fixtures. The Multiport Blender has a 5v regulator, an RS485 receiver chip, and a quadruple differential line driver.

When I got home today, I measured the output from the 5v regulator on the Multiport Blender. It was 7.5v. The line driver states the absolute maximum rating for the supply voltage is 7v. The RS485 receiver also specifies 7v. I suspect one or both of these chips have been damaged, because it doesn't work even after replacing the voltage regulator. I'll order some replacement parts, which won't help the remaining 2 days of this season, but at least it will work for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...