Light-O-Rama Forums

Building A Pixel Matrix

Dcroc

14 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Yep. They are smart pixels. Commonly called bullet type.

What's better? 50ct @ 5v or 100ct @ 12v?

If I'm using pixe 16 controller? The controller says "Voltage = 5V or 12V"

So can it do both at the same time? Like lets say 5 (50ct @5v) and 11 (100ct @12v)?

Or is it one or the other. Meaning 16 5v or 16 12v?

The general rule for pixels is 50 pixels for 5v and 100 pixels for 12v on each port before needing to power inject. The limiting factor is usually the fuses on each port.

On my 24x50 matrix I use one Falcon 16 controller (E1.31) with 100 pixels per port (12v) which will cover two rows on a matrix with a zig-zag. I am using 12 ports on my controller with four to spare.

Edited by Mr. P

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The general rule for pixels is 50 pixels for 5v and 100 pixels for 12v on each port before needing to power inject. The limiting factor is usually the fuses on each port.

On my 24x50 matrix I use one Falcon 16 controller (E1.31) with 100 pixels per port (12v) which will cover two rows on a matrix with a zig-zag. I am using 12 ports on my controller with four to spare.

Can you share a video of the matrix? Not sure if i want to do pixels or p10 panel?

Just now, rgardner518 said:

Can you share a video of the matrix? Not sure if i want to do pixels or p10 panel?

I don't have a video but a 24x50 matrix is usually the standard as there are tons of sequences out there for them. If you are going to go P5 or P10 panels then you would have to create your own.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I don't have a video but a 24x50 matrix is usually the standard as there are tons of sequences out there for them. If you are going to go P5 or P10 panels then you would have to create your own.

Okay.. so them how does one display video images on the matrix like I exampled above? Or is that not possible?

Edited by rgardner518

Here is a video that someone posted on Youtube of my show last year. On the right side of the video you can see my 24x50 matrix that sits about 70 feet off the road.

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Here is a video that someone posted on Youtube of my show last year. On the right side of the video you can see my 24x50 matrix that sits about 70 feet off the road.

That's was very helpful. I was going to build one 8'x12'. But after seeing yours, I see that's too excessive. I think I'm leaning towards 4'x8' maybe even the 24x50 even as at 75' looks more them big enough.

I see you have lawn lights also. I've wanted those for a while. But when we get 2' plus in snow, they look cool under 6"...2' they lose their effect imo.

What is that on the lawn the to left?

24 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

Okay.. so them how does one display video images on the matrix like I exampled above? Or is that not possible?

should just use the video widget for that and tell it what video to play on S5 or use video for your audio on S4.

4 minutes ago, caniac said:

should just use the video widget for that and tell it what video to play on S5 or use video for your audio on S4.

Didn't know it was that easy, lol. I still have v3 and plan to upgrade once I "know" 100% my direction. I don't see myself getting the components I need to build the display till sometime next year. 

Too late in year to start this year, that's for sure!

Edited by rgardner518

3 minutes ago, caniac said:

3 - 12 x 50 panels

See this is why I need to be 100% of my direction so I can buy enough in bulk. I actually like the 3 panel's.

19 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

That's was very helpful. I was going to build one 8'x12'. But after seeing yours, I see that's too excessive. I think I'm leaning towards 4'x8' maybe even the 24x50 even as at 75' looks more them big enough.

I see you have lawn lights also. I've wanted those for a while. But when we get 2' plus in snow, they look cool under 6"...2' they lose their effect imo.

What is that on the lawn the to left?

The 24x50 is 4'x8' and I got the lawn lights back in 2010 when I was still running a Mr. Christmas.  😄

7 minutes ago, caniac said:

my show using a P10, located central in display

How many p10 panels? See that looks like a TV.

Anyone have the same thing, but done with pixels I can see difference?

Edited by rgardner518

6 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

Didn't know it was that easy, lol. I still have v3 and plan to upgrade once I "know" 100% my direction. I don't see myself getting the components I need to build the display till sometime next year. 

Too late in year to start this year, that's for sure!

Not too late to add a 24x50 matrix this year. You can build the matrix in a day and there are tons of sequences on this forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The 24x50 is 4'x8' and I got the lawn lights back in 2010 when I was still running a Mr. Christmas.  😄

Whats laying on the lawn to the left?

And how does 24"x50" equal 4'x8'. Am I missing something? Is that..that core core math I heard about 😂

Edited by rgardner518

somewhere I have pics of my P10 build. It was 8 panels high by 4 wide.  Cost me $400 to build, a lot of bang for the buck.

• Like 1

Just now, rgardner518 said:

Whats laying on the lawn to the left?

That's a story in itself. A few years ago I attempted to build some driveway arches and everything went as planned until it got warm outside. Being in Georgia the days are still warm in December so once the arches were up the sun warmed them up and they fell. Since they were already programmed I took them and laid them on the ground and I call them Flat Feet because they are fallen arches.  😁

2 minutes ago, rgardner518 said:

How many p10 panels? See that looks like a TV.

Anyone have the same thing, but done with pixels I can see difference?

its not a tv but a P10 panel running 720p video.  Big difference is the spacing, the hanging panels I posted are one inch spacing which is the tightest you will find with bullet pixels.  P10 is 10mm spacing.

2 minutes ago, caniac said:

somewhere I have pics of my P10 build. It was 8 panels high by 4 wide.  Cost me $400 to build, a lot of bang for the buck.

I want to do a P10 matrix for the large picture window above my front door, the window is 6x6.