Light-O-Rama Forums
Dcroc

Building A Pixel Matrix

Posted (edited)

Need more bang, so I am thinking of adding a pixel matrix over my garage door (area...not mounted to the door).  Not sure I want a "kit", as I have plenty of time to do the build myself, and the savings in doing so seems to be worth it. Thinking 24 x 50 (12v), since that seems to be a pop format, and will fit without too much fuss.   Better to use square nodes, or bullets?  Also,  do most use clear, or black net for windows/garage door covering, and what spacing would I use?  Any reason I couldn't hang it on the frame of the door, and fold it up (as much as possible) for storage?   Would love any input.  Thanks.

Edited by Dcroc

I have a big (63 x 126) Pixel Matrix on my roof.  I use regular bullet style pixels (12v) with a black 3" on center net from Holiday Coro. Spacing will depend on the viewing distance as the closer you get, the more "Pixelated" the image becomes.  So closer spacing means a clearer image.  I have mine broken up into 8 sections that fold up for storage for the 5 months it's not on the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdCNMbMaWQ

Very nice Little_b.  Are you using a pixie to drive the matrix? Do you use superstar or just Motion Effect rows?

5 hours ago, Scott Belanger said:

Very nice Little_b.  Are you using a pixie to drive the matrix? Do you use superstar or just Motion Effect rows?

Currently I am using 4 Pixcon16's and just using Motion Effects in S5.  It used to be just 2 controllers, but I doubled it this year to help eliminate all the null pixels and flickering problems I had in the past.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:19 AM, Dcroc said:

Need more bang, so I am thinking of adding a pixel matrix over my garage door (area...not mounted to the door).  Not sure I want a "kit", as I have plenty of time to do the build myself, and the savings in doing so seems to be worth it. Thinking 24 x 50 (12v), since that seems to be a pop format, and will fit without too much fuss.   Better to use square nodes, or bullets?  Also,  do most use clear, or black net for windows/garage door covering, and what spacing would I use?  Any reason I couldn't hang it on the frame of the door, and fold it up (as much as possible) for storage?   Would love any input.  Thanks.

are you wanting to send effects to it or video?  If video then there are better options.

19 hours ago, Little_b said:

Currently I am using 4 Pixcon16's and just using Motion Effects in S5.  It used to be just 2 controllers, but I doubled it this year to help eliminate all the null pixels and flickering problems I had in the past.

Are the 126 pixels horizontal as part of one port?  I'm guessing LOR bullets at 50 per string.  So you have cut them down or are 24 bullets turned off?  7938 active bullets?  Thanks, just trying to get ideas.

Posted (edited)

I run the strands up and down. (63 down, 63 back up, so 126 pixels per port)  The controllers sit hidden on the other side of the top ridge.  They are 12v 126 Pixel node strands, a custom length from Ray Wu so I wouldn't have any connection points in the middle.  I connected each end to the connector then back to the controller or power distro board.  There is too much power being used to be able to run them off the controllers directly, so power (V+ and V-) comes from the power supplies, and data and V- from the controller ports.

It was a 3 year build that got bigger each year and at the time I was using Pixel node strands that were 50 pixels long and I just soldered ends together to make the correct lengths.  Because each section was a different batch of pixels, the coloring was never quite the same, so this past summer I re-did all the pixels and wiring to simplify it. And now the colors are all the same. 

Keep in mind if you plan to use SS with something this big, make sure to create the prop in the program before construction as I am/was unable to use my matrix in SS with 126 vertical strands.  The program had a limit.  Had I made it horizontal instead, the program could have read it.  I haven't looked into trying it lately so I don't know if this is still the case. 

Edited by Little_b
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, caniac said:

are you wanting to send effects to it or video?  If video then there are better options.

Both.   I am aware of P10  panels, but not sure I want to get into the expense, or complexity.

13 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Both.   I am aware of P10  panels, but not sure I want to get into the expense, or complexity.

P10’s are cheaper than a boatload of bullets, not overly complex depending on how you build it.  Pi and cape to control vs 1-2 pixel controllers and power injection.  If it were that complex I wouldn’t currently have three.