Light-O-Rama Forums

The End is Near Unfortunately, When do you go dark?

Kapkirk

1 hour ago, DLH lites said:

We watched from across the street, watched the show twice and I all I could think about was what I could add next year, how much work it was and I cant wait to do it again.

I know the feeling. The whole time packing stuff up I was like, well won't be using these lights next year, then trying to figure out if I could use them some place else. Just got off the phone with my son-in-law where we talked for an hour about next year. Now feeling a bit overwhelmed since I'm thinking of doing a ton of smart pixels. And somehow I've already blown my budget in January.

UPDATE to my UPDATE:

Snowing here today, could get up to 3 inches. Wife wants pictures with snow on the ground, so there MAY be one more show tonight!

Interesting diversion...yesterday I got one of those "last year memories" reminders from Facebook. It was a picture of my setup last year with snow on the ground and the caption that it FINALLY looks like Christmas. That was 1/6/2019. Maybe because it's leap year EVERYTHING is day later this year.

Edited by tlogan

42 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

And somehow I've already blown my budget in January.

I sure understand that part!  I am up to about $1500 spent since Christmas.  Fortunately I am getting a bunch of overtime at the moment, so that helps - a bunch.

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

UPDATE to my UPDATE:

Snowing here today, could get up to 3 inches. Wife wants pictures with snow on the ground, so there MAY be one more show tonight!

Interesting diversion...yesterday I got one of those "last year memories" reminders from Facebook. It was a picture of my setup last year with snow on the ground and the caption that it FINALLY looks like Christmas. That was 1/6/2019. Maybe because it's leap year EVERYTHING is day later this year.

What? I might have to go mow the lawn it is so green here in Michigan.

7 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

What? I might have to go mow the lawn it is so green here in Michigan.

My trees and shrubs were supposed to be treated today by TruGreen, it's been so green here. Until today, anyway. Federal Government here closed at 1:00pm.

1 minute ago, MichRX7 said:

Alas, this is Michigan, and today my yard is completely white.

Mine is today as well! We got about 3 inches. Most of it froze overnight so some rough roads this morning. Supposed to be even colder tonight and tomorrow but could hit mid 60 by Saturday. Go figure. Trugreen was rescheduled for today so I doubt they'll be out.

33 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Alas, this is Michigan, and today my yard is completely white.

You're welcome to it.  It was 75 here yesterday.

9 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Now you sound like my snowbird father in Florida. Except he'd be bitching that was cold and I should keep it up here.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:51 PM, Speedster said:

Spent 5 hrs tearing down & storing almost everything today.  But I've decided to leave the Nativity scene and icicle lights up for one more week, which I haven't done before.  Many around here leave their static displays up until about mid-January, so I decided to do a mini-static display for one week.  I guess I wasn't ready to go totally dark yet because I feel sad every January after tear down.  The forecast for the next week looks decent; no major snow accumulation, and temps will be warmer than usual for us in January.  So I'll wait until next Sat to put away the Nativity scene & icicle lights, which should only take about 45 min.

We've got snow in the forecast tonight & tomorrow as well as strong winds.  So after tearing down the majority of the lights, props, & LOR controllers on 1/4, I took down the mini-static display (Nativity scene & icicle lights) today.  So we're officially dark on 1/10.  Our house & yard look dull, lifeless, sad & boring now.   :(

Edited by Speedster

On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, k6ccc said:

We got that here today. It has been a very nice holiday season as far as temps. Unusually warm.

I got all of my stuff down yesterday and chopped my AL ccr tree frame up. Gonna use the lower 2/3's of it next year for my almost 5000 pixel matrix. Will put wheels on it just like my smaller matrix. Going to use the winch system for my ccr tree next year. 

I was so happy with the MT winch system that I decided to build one for the ccr tree.

I may be 75% pixels next year depending on how many of my faces I can convert to pixels. I have a lot of holes to drill and a lot of measuring to do.

JR

Had rain last night but today was mostly dry, so we were able to get almost everything taken down. There are still 4 props up high in the trees that I need to use the extension ladder to get and 7 patio poles that are easy to get. We got everything that goes in the shed put away, aside from the 4 props. The rest of the stuff went into the garage and will be fully put away as time allows. This is the quickest and soonest that we have taken the display down.

12 hours ago, rcktpwrd said:

Had rain last night but today was mostly dry, so we were able to get almost everything taken down. There are still 4 props up high in the trees that I need to use the extension ladder to get and 7 patio poles that are easy to get. We got everything that goes in the shed put away, aside from the 4 props. The rest of the stuff went into the garage and will be fully put away as time allows. This is the quickest and soonest that we have taken the display down.

our quickest was 4 hours, not gonna happen this year.  We have all but our two tallest trees (old style mega tree and a pixel strip tree) and the plan was to take them down yesterday.  Instead it snowed and it snowed and it snowed some more.

Update to my Update Update...

Officially dark. In-laws showed up yesterday so one last show on demand. Afterward, unplugged everything, turned off amp and FM transmitter. Shut down computer. STILL don't have any decent video. We tried to take a video AGAIN but there has not been more than 2 minutes without at least one car going by.

Took quick stock while last show was running. Half of one mini tree is out, one deer head is out,  one tree behind the Mega Tree is out, one of the lamp post bulbs a appears to have slid down inside the candle, and half of the string around one tree trunk is out. Oddly enough, I had two little trees and the smallest one was out from time I put it out there (and I DID test it before putting it out) and it actually (magically?) lit last night. Must have been the snow earlier last week. All the smart RGBs seem to have weathered the season with no issues. And the strips for my arches are in their second season, so, so far, so good.

And inside, half of one string in middle of the fake Christmas tree is out so we just used another string. Then the day before our New Year's Eve party I notice the top string was burning pretty bright so figured it was on it's last legs. Which of course proceeded to blew out on New Year's Eve.

Glad I have the incan AND led light fixers! Figure I'll give fixing things a go before replacing.

We got the garage cleaned up today, so now everything is officially put away until next season.

here are the lights for the 32 trees

ewRBvt5JU0_sXWoNbke1Ka72PFSyLbJ86fHOs3n5

the open clear/blue bin on the right has 6 of the 7 patio pole lights

• The topic was locked