Light-O-Rama Forums

The End is Near Unfortunately, When do you go dark?

Kapkirk

Well the season is nearing end for 2019, looks like we are going dark New Years Day, this year seams shorter to me, or maybe it's something else. I believe everyone on our street is planning tomorrow night new years eve is the last lighted night, though some have been dark since the 26th. We are planning a driveway fire pit night as its going to be pretty cool for us starting tonight. And it's the first 2 or 3 day period without rain so that comes into play also. I like to bring in lights when dry if possible and then into the air-conditioned garage for a few days prior to storage.

Do you have any storage thoughts, I usually dry them as much as possible in garage then place desiccant packages in the bins prior to movement to non condition storage shed, seems to have worked the last 5 years, I haven't seen any storage problems. The LOR controllers go into my office in house and of course its conditioned dry air. Any more ideas are welcome.

What night do you plan to be your last lit night?

Keith

Tear-down for our display is usually the first weekend in January after New Year's Day.  So I'm planning to tear down this coming Sat or Sun, making this Fri or Sat the last night of our light show.  Most likely I'll tear down on Sat since it's supposed to be a bit warmer than Sun.

I'm tempted to start tearing down on Wed (New Year's Day) though because we have a mix of rain and snow forecast for Fri.  So light strings & props might be wet and/or snow-covered on Sat, which isn't good for storage.

December 31 is my final night and I normally start tearing down January 1. However, it is supposed to rain Wed-Sat so I will need a day of drying time so nothing is put away wet.

Normally I shut down on the Friday evening after New Years day.  So 01/03 at 11:00 PM is it for me.  As long as it's not raining, I will tear down this upcoming weekend.  That and replace the heater under my waterbed...  The heater is working, the thermostat for it is not very well...

Since the holiday season was shorter this year (I read that this was the shortest possible period between Thanksgiving and Christmas - ie Latest possible Thanksgiving) we are running a little longer this year.  We have decided to run thru this coming weekend up to Epiphany (3 Kings Day).  If things dry out over the weekend, the inflatables may come down earlier, but the lights will continue.  Unless the weather drastically improves, we probably can't take them down right now anyway - usually we just turn them off and then wait for a "warm" (for Chicago)spell to start taking anything down.  Sometimes the icicles don't come down from the eves until March! They are about 30' up and I won't let my husband up the big ladder if there is ice/snow on the ground.  Often, most of the lights are frozen in place until we get a few warm days in a row.  We have once or twice turned on whatever was left for Mardi Gras just for the hell of it since they were still in place LOL.

Mine will come down once I get it all on the drone. Probably 1 March the way its going. LAst year due to rain storms mine was up until the end of Feb, in hindsight I should have just left it up for HAlloween.

JR

Mine will start coming apart on 1 Jan (lack-o-rain permitting). Anything that looks wetish, will come inside the heated area for a few days.

It will take a number of trips to the U-storeit facility after I crate the various pieces. (Cables are in the any season crate), Santas  in the Xmas one (pumpkins and tombstones are already in storage).

I move slower these days, so about 7 days to remove all traces (it was 5 days last year). I will hold back (from the storage bins) anything that needs attention

Due to rainy weather, I started taking my down on  early morning on 12/30/2019 this year.  I usually leave it up through Jan 6.  But not this year.  Still have a few Blow Mold Candles to get down off the ramp {4 of them}, but it shouldn't take too long. 

The other things I'll get down in time are the RGB Controllers and their RGB lights, that'll take a little more time.  But the controllers are already disconnected from all power, just got to open them to get the cat5 out and disconnect the light strands.    And then I'll be done getting everything down until next Christmas. 

Fortunately I got the majority of decor down on the 30th, so even though things are a little damp. not really wet, so not as bad as it could have been. 

Fortunately the rain was very light on the 30th{at least in my area} and we're supposed to get some more today 12/31 {according to the weather reports, but can you really believe them?}  and today is supposed to be a little harder rains, so hopefully I can at least get the candles down this morning, as soon as I finish checking on a few things online, out to get the candles down. The RGB stuff can wait just a little longer.

Edited by Orville

I was thinking about keeping mine up until the weekend. After tomorrow 3 straight days of rain so New Years day like normal. Still getting a steady stream of traffic but oh well. Hate putting up wet props.

Last night is tonight, then i start breaking down this weekend rain permitting. but as like other members i do not put away wet so i'm hoping rain holds off.

WE will be keeping it up till the 6th of Jan, after all the rain we had and all the nights it poured here I am gona milk this baby for as long as I can. Finally today it is very dry ,cold front coming thru tonight  going down to 62,brrrrrrrr.  Photographer coming tonight at 6 just at dark. We are still having light lookers stopping by . Then the take down and redo of some of the props for next year before they go to storage. Will be adding more controllers on spring sale and more songs  the rest of the year. 

David

Tonight is my last night. I will start tearing down tomorrow since I have the day off. Then continue to work on it after I get off work Thursday and Friday and into the weekend, like a few others have said weather permitting. Last week looking at the extended forecast, I thought I would have a good few days after Jan 1, but looks like rain and snow a couple of days are in the forecast now.

Wayne

I'm one of the Jan 6 holdouts. A few more neighbors had lights out this year so it will be interesting to see if anyone else holds out. I'll turn the music off and probably go to all on in the next day or so until the 6th. Take down won't start until next week, weather permitting.

Take down can go pretty fast if everything is dry. The worst of it is that I have to pack the animated reindeer back in their box for storage. And this year I have to figure out how best to store my 10 new lamp posts.

News Years day.   From when I was a kid, my Parents always had the tree taken\ down, and all the Christmas decor put away in the attic.....without fail.   I never put much though into it.  Now that I am older, I understand that it's nice to have it all taken care of before going back to work.  It is also a new year, and last year is gone.  I also like to cut the neighbors a break..  They put up with it from October thru Dec. 31.  That is enough to ask of them.

I got all the AC lights/CTB controllers down yesterday before I pooped out. I still have the Megatree (dumb RGB) and the Pixel stuff to do (today is appointment day).

Dang, I have a lot of feet of cords I have already coiled up.

We go dark on the 26th. Family tradition to have all lights down before the end of the year. Some years it means just getting everything into the garage, this year it meant everything was down, packaged for next year and stored.

2 hours ago, dan24438 said:

We go dark on the 26th. Family tradition to have all lights down before the end of the year. Some years it means just getting everything into the garage, this year it meant everything was down, packaged for next year and stored.

Same here. I tear down on the 26th every year weather permitting. 

Last night was closing night for me (kinda sad) - normally the first Friday of the new year.  Still having occasional cars stopping by.  I went out front about 50 minutes before the end so I could watch one full cycle and the closing.  Then went into the house and shut down MIIP, and Zara radio, and changed to the year round landscaping show schedule.  Today, I'll get some taken down, but tomorrow I need to replace my waterbed heater, so part of it will be up until next weekend..  I'll likely get most of it except the pixel tree down this weekend, but we'll see.  Weather is nice here - clear and 68 degrees, so  gonna take advantage of it.  Next weekend is supposed to be about 10 degrees colder.