Light-O-Rama Forums

where to buy 4 wire pixels for LOR pixie controller

pg13

I would like to add smart pixels to my display next year (currently have 4 dumb controllers) and noticed that the LOR pixie controllers have 4 wire terminals and most of the stuff on-line looks like 3 wire. So basic question is where are most of you buying smart pixels to go with LOR equipment (will 3 wire work?) and what voltage is preferred(5v or 12v)? I have 8 windows that I would like to outline and the farthest two are about 40 feet apart horizontally, 10 feet vertically.

Thanks for your time

Paul

P.S. Seeing what I would like to do above would it be to much to add a pixie tree next year? The one problem I have is that I have a bright street light between me and my neighbors house so I can't get it dark at night.

The four wires on most pixel controllers are:  Power positive, Power minus (or ground), Data, and Clock.  All pixels require Power, ground, and data; but only a few pixel types require a separate clock signal.  Therefore, most pixels do not need the clock wire and you simply don't hook anything to that output.  By far, the most commonly used pixel type these days is WS2811 or WS2812.  These are three wire pixels.

As for 5V vs 12V, there are advantages and disadvantages of both.  As a general rule of thumb, it is easier to run longer strings at 12V.  The rough rule of thumb is about 100 pixels at 12V and 50 pixels at 5V.  Beyond that generally requires power injection.  Total power consumption (and therefore the number or size of power supplies) is over twice as high with 12V pixels.

I (and a lot of people) have a strong preference for pixel node strings as opposed to strips.  Mainly because it is FAR easier to repair a string when (not if) a pixel dies.

As for the street light, I also have a street light directly across the street.  Not a problem.  I do have the advantage that I have a very strange shaped front yard, so my pixel tree is a good 50 feet back from the street.  You can get an idea what it looks like in this old video.  The camera angle that has the TuneTo sign prominently in the front center of the image was taken with the camera damn near under the streetlight:

All the controllers I have seen have 4 wire connectors. Usually the fourth wire is a clock line which is not used very often with modern pixels.Just leave it open.

I use 12V exclusively, less voltage drop.

Do your homework as to which voltage you will prefer and plan to stick with one or the other. Mixing voltages will, sooner or later result in a mixup, potentially letting the magic smoke out.

Keep everything as simple as possible.

I prefer to use smaller controllers close to their props to keep the lead in wires as short as possible. 40 ft might be pushing it. Consider a central controller position that cuts down on the distances.

22 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You can get an idea what it looks like in this old video.  The camera angle that has the TuneTo sign prominently in the front center of the image was taken with the camera damn near under the streetlight:

Hi Jim.  I am getting ready to start my first pixel adventure ever with a tree similar to yours here.  I have no idea of the complexities involved yet with sequencing pixels but if you had to take a guess,  if you just focused on the tree and sequenced that whole song, how much time would it take you?  Ballpark. 

Very nice display by the way!

Thank you Jim and Phil,

Jim nice video and 12 string pixel tree. Phil, I like the idea of smaller controllers and 12 vdc. I will try to do justice with your help. Last question is where do most people buy there pixels and is there a special time of the year for buying?

Thanks again for your time,

Paul

45 minutes ago, pg13 said:

Thank you Jim and Phil,

Jim nice video and 12 string pixel tree. Phil, I like the idea of smaller controllers and 12 vdc. I will try to do justice with your help. Last question is where do most people buy there pixels and is there a special time of the year for buying?

Thanks again for your time,

Paul

After season SALES is the best time :D

As to where. depends. Large quantities: folk use  Ray Wu (aliexpress). LOR probably has the best warranty, I have used Holiday Core.  Be aware connectors may look similar, but are vendor specific. having a mish-mash leads to a loss of hair.  Similar with Voltage., Murphy is alive and haunts lighters

Edited by TheDucks

Myself, Ray WU, no special time of year. Just avoid Chinese New year. They shut down for most of Feb.

Once you know what you want, email him and ask for a quote with consolidated shipping.

Ray@rita-light.com

He can do custom spacing and connectors too if you want

All the pixels come from China, Why pay a middle man is my attitude. 

Edited by PhilMassey

58 minutes ago, Donl1150 said:

if you just focused on the tree and sequenced that whole song, how much time would it take you?  Ballpark. 

like anything -- it depends.  if you just want a pattern, you can do that easy with S5 motion effects - if you want just random-ish lights to the music, you can do that with superstar.   And everything up from there.   The biggest time consumer is what do you want it to do?   I spent most of my time working on effects that went with the song (at least in my head) and took from a day to a week depending on how much I wanted to put into it. 

3 hours ago, Donl1150 said:

Hi Jim.  I am getting ready to start my first pixel adventure ever with a tree similar to yours here.  I have no idea of the complexities involved yet with sequencing pixels but if you had to take a guess,  if you just focused on the tree and sequenced that whole song, how much time would it take you?  Ballpark. 

For the most part for me, about 10 minutes for the tree.  I fully admit that I have little or no artistic creativity, so I purchase the pixel tree portion for most of my songs.  TSO's "Carol of the Bells" as seen in the video early in this thread came from Brian Bruderer at http://superstarlights.com/   I then spend anywhere from 20 to 50 hours to add in the rest of the yard using the purchased sequence color and motion patterns as a reference.  I have also purchased sequences from https://www.holidaysequences.com/  There are several other sources as well.

I sequence essentially everything in SuperStar.

BTW, the pixel tree shown the video was rebuilt in 2018 to become 24 strings of 100 pixels.  For 2020, I am adding two more strings so that a vertically hanging US flag comes out better.

Edited by k6ccc

• The topic was locked