Light-O-Rama Forums

Is this sequence to "fast" for my setup?

MattJ

Hi folks

This year I have a couple of signing trees. Love them - they look great. As it's my first year with them I bought a couple of You Can Modify sequences from the LOR sequence store.

Both sequences seem to work on an effect time for the mouths of the trees of half a second for each effect (mouth movement). 

In Ariana Grande - Santa tell me...the tree mouths are red and they look perfect.

In Owl City - Light of Christmas... it looks perfect in sequence editor preview, the tree mouths are green, but in the real world the mouth flashes colors occasionally. It should be green all the time but occasionally it's magenta, or cyan.

I'm running the outside setup on a G3-MP3 controller and I'm running a single CTB16PC + 9 CCCs (Two original CCC-Is and 7 newer CCC-IIs, including the two for the two trees).

Other than this glitch on the mouths of the trees in one song, things seem to be running great but I'm wondering if I'm bumping into some speed limitation and, of course I'm looking to add more next year, so am wondering if this is a sign of issues to come.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

MattJ

4 minutes ago, MattJ said:

Hi folks

This year I have a couple of signing trees. Love them - they look great. As it's my first year with them I bought a couple of You Can Modify sequences from the LOR sequence store.

Both sequences seem to work on an effect time for the mouths of the trees of half a second for each effect (mouth movement). 

In Ariana Grande - Santa tell me...the tree mouths are red and they look perfect.

In Owl City - Light of Christmas... it looks perfect in sequence editor preview, the tree mouths are green, but in the real world the mouth flashes colors occasionally. It should be green all the time but occasionally it's magenta, or cyan.

I'm running the outside setup on a G3-MP3 controller and I'm running a single CTB16PC + 9 CCCs (Two original CCC-Is and 7 newer CCC-IIs, including the two for the two trees).

Other than this glitch on the mouths of the trees in one song, things seem to be running great but I'm wondering if I'm bumping into some speed limitation and, of course I'm looking to add more next year, so am wondering if this is a sign of issues to come.

Any thoughts folks?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

MattJ

There are no "to fast for singing face sequences". If you experience lag you need to use audacity to correct the music parameters, ensure you copy paste correctly and look at what's connected to your network. I have found with my 30+ faces that keeping them on their own NW or more (4 for me) works best.

JR

What is your network speed setting?  Enhanced or non-enhanced?

How many pixels do you have?  Number of controllers does not matter, number of pixels does.

The gen 1 CCC's may not play well with the Gen3 as all other controllers.

Also with the coloration, while creating some sequences for LOR's trees, I found it fairly easy to accidentally change the color so perhaps this is why you have a color mismatch or the sequencer ddid it purposefully. You should be able to go in with a modifiable sequence and find the part and correct the color by clicking an the correct color and using that color pallet to change the existing color.

Didn't want the OP to miss it if I edited my post

JR

Edited by dibblejr

And after digging (I'm on my phone so it requires digging), I see the OP has an Advanced license so that answers the Enhanced vs non-Enhanced mode question.

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

@dibblejr - Forgive my ignorance here. I'm not sure if it's "lag". It's not what I'd describe as lag. Everything is in sync... just occasionally the wrong color. (Maybe that's lag by the LOR definition though).  More ignorance from me... I know what audacity is and have used it for other things but I have no idea what correct the music parameters means. I had both sequences before I had singing trees and used LORHub to apply the motion pack to both singing sequences. If there are any other thread on tweaks I should have done... I'm up for a good read if you are able to share the links? The Signing trees are on the CCC-II controllers. The CCC-Is are running a basic roof line and have been fine for years including this year (unless they are causing the issue??)

@k6ccc - I have the advanced licence and I'm using Hub in simple mode to create my shows so I guess I am ending up with a card that is 57.6k, non-Enhanced. When I try to create a card in Advanced mode and I get to step 4... I try to change any of the parameters... hub just crashes and disappears. I have not been able to create an SD card in anything other than simple mode. 

I have 550 pixels.

1 hour ago, MattJ said:

I have the advanced licence and I'm using Hub in simple mode to create my shows so I guess I am ending up with a card that is 57.6k, non-Enhanced. When I try to create a card in Advanced mode and I get to step 4... I try to change any of the parameters... hub just crashes and disappears. I have not been able to create an SD card in anything other than simple mode. 

I have 550 pixels.

550 pixels on a 57K network is WAY too many.  The old rule of thumb was six CCRs (300 pixels - or 900 channels) on a 115K network.  Bump your network speed up to 115K for starters and see if it's better (likely will be).  If all your devices are capable, bump the speed up to 500K and you should be golden.  If some of your controllers can't operate at 500K, the other option would be to split your network into two networks.  Put the devices that can handle 500K on one network at 500K and the devices that can't handle 500K on a second network at 115K speed.  Unless you are done with your show for the season, this would be the last resort at this time of year because you would have to change all your sequences to a new network configuration.

I have never used Hub or a director so I can't help you with either of those.

Thanks @PhilMassey - I was running 5.3.12 (even though my profile here didn't represent that) I've upgraded to 5.3.14 and still have the same issue. Hub crashes as soon as i try to change any of the parameters.

But.....

I found out that if I go in and set my LOR network preferences separately, then I can get Hub to create a card that matches them without crashing. I increased it to 115k (no bueno) then again to 500k and, as you said Jim, looks like I am golden. Even the CCC-Is seem to be OK. It's hard to tell in the daylight but I will load it all up and check tonight. 

I'd love to learn about music parameters - I think that is something I am also completely missing. Is there some info anywhere on those?

Thanks for the troubleshooting today folks.... that's enough for this year.... on to planning for next year! 😁

13 minutes ago, MattJ said:

I found out that if I go in and set my LOR network preferences separately, then I can get Hub to create a card that matches them without crashing. I increased it to 115k (no bueno) then again to 500k and, as you said Jim, looks like I am golden. Even the CCC-Is seem to be OK. It's hard to tell in the daylight but I will load it all up and check tonight. 

Glad I could help!

Yes, even the earliest Cosmic Color controllers can run at 500K and and Enhanced by updating the firmware.  When the original CCR and CCP controllers came out, the fastest network speed was 115K and Enhanced networking was quite a few years away, so obviously the original firmware did not support the higher speed or Enhanced networking.  I ran into that with my original CCPs (bought the first day they were available).  Had to update the firmware in order to run them at 500K Enhanced.

Closing this one out in case anyone stumbles back on it. 

Yes it was the network speed setting. Changing it to 500k worked with no issues and it looked better than ever last night. Thanks to all who helped troubleshoot yesterday.

23 hours ago, MattJ said:

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

@dibblejr - Forgive my ignorance here. I'm not sure if it's "lag". It's not what I'd describe as lag. Everything is in sync... just occasionally the wrong color. (Maybe that's lag by the LOR definition though).  More ignorance from me... I know what audacity is and have used it for other things but I have no idea what correct the music parameters means. I had both sequences before I had singing trees and used LORHub to apply the motion pack to both singing sequences. If there are any other thread on tweaks I should have done... I'm up for a good read if you are able to share the links? The Signing trees are on the CCC-II controllers. The CCC-Is are running a basic roof line and have been fine for years including this year (unless they are causing the issue??)

@k6ccc - I have the advanced licence and I'm using Hub in simple mode to create my shows so I guess I am ending up with a card that is 57.6k, non-Enhanced. When I try to create a card in Advanced mode and I get to step 4... I try to change any of the parameters... hub just crashes and disappears. I have not been able to create an SD card in anything other than simple mode. 

I have 550 pixels.

For singing faces you should use audacity and change the bitrate from "variable" to "constant" as well as the speed to "128 kbps" for a house only sequence it doesn't matter so much however for faces they will become out of sync at some point if its left as normal audio defaults. House sequence if a fraction of a second off no one will notice, however take that same fraction of a second and apply it to faces and you will get the old black and whit fung fu movie effect. It may not happen today or tomorrow but it will eventually happen.  (that's the parameters I'm referring too) 

JR

• The topic was locked