Light-O-Rama Forums

Pro version mandatory?

Donl1150

I currently run Version 4.4.4 and have a 3 controller network with only incandescents.  I am about to venture into the world of RGB for net years display.  I am going to build a 4’ RGB tree.   I think I have all of my components picked out but the Pixie 4 controller page recommends the Pro version of LOR.  My question is:  Is that a recommendation or is it MANDATORY that you have the Pro license.  In other words, if you don’t will I not be able to sequence and run the tree?

Required - No

Recommended - Yes

Although use of an Enhanced network is highly recomeded, the Pixie controllers will operate on a non-Enhanced network - provided you don't use any Motion Effects or SuperStar Effects in sequencing them.  Motion Effects requires use of Enhanced Networking which requires a Pro level license. Not having Motion Effects or SuperStar Effects available would limit your abilities (or at least make it far harder to do some of the sequencing).

for the pixie 8, I really had no choice but to go pro - the number of unit ids alone pushed me beyond the standard licenses.   Not sure about the pixie4 is that would fit.    It seemed like it was a requirement but they were a bit ambiguous on that point, but in any case, doing pixels without motion effects would be a challenge.   I eventually added superstar but actually use it more to program my traditional lights and singing faces but use motion effects a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, since I see a lot of questions concerning what Networks any of the pixie series controllers 4,8 and 16 will run on, here it is from the latest manual.

" An enhanced network is pretty much required to properly utilize these controllers. Enhanced mode allows for a much higher pixel change rate than a normal network."

The above statement can be found on the Introduction page. Also I believe another typo may have been made because now it states up to 200 pixels per port. I have not tested more than the original 170 and I believe the yellow manual they send out these days has 150 and 170 in two different locations.

I have not had a single pixie series controller function at all outside the ELOR network, thus requiring a Pro license. This was the case in Beta and as of the newest controllers I have built. They just do not operate as expected continuously without being on an enhanced network.

However per the OP's question above, go Pro and you wont have the network headaches. You can still have S4 and if they ever get all of the bugs worked out in S5 you will have a license to a certain version covered as well.

In the beginning LOR used to say "Mandatory" for Pro License required for the Pixie series controllers. I am not sure when/ why they changed to "recommended". From everyone I have assisted via telephone, screen sharing, messaging, if no ELOR, no favorable results.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Ok, since I see a lot of questions concerning what Networks any of the pixie series controllers 4,8 and 16 will run on, here it is from the latest manual.

" An enhanced network is pretty much required to properly utilize these controllers. Enhanced mode allows for a much higher pixel change rate than a normal network."

The above statement can be found on the Introduction page. Also I believe another typo may have been made because now it states up to 200 pixels per port. I have not tested more than the original 170 and I believe the yellow manual they send out these days has 150 and 170 in two different locations.

I have not had a single pixie series controller function at all outside the ELOR network, thus requiring a Pro license. This was the case in Beta and as of the newest controllers I have built. They just do not operate as expected continuously without being on an enhanced network.

However per the OP's question above, go Pro and you wont have the network headaches. You can still have S4 and if they ever get all of the bugs worked out in S5 you will have a license to a certain version covered as well.

In the beginning LOR used to say "Mandatory" for Pro License required for the Pixie series controllers. I am not sure when/ why they changed to "recommended". From everyone I have assisted via telephone, screen sharing, messaging, if no ELOR, no favorable results.

JR

Pixies are just weird on what can and can not be done.  (it really is time to give the manuals a real fine tooth going over, marking specific version limits. And yes!, I do think manuals should cover the entire history of a model. Many of us have added MORE boards to our LOR rig over the years)

I wanted to load the pixie4 to run as a standalone sequence. If I had it configured for 100px / port a lot of stuff was NO_GO that was OK at 50 / port. Another thing: I had a Gen3 CTB daisy chained to that Pixie4. The CTB16 could not run the Pixie4 from stand alone mode, BUT the Pixie4 could run the CTB16.

JR It is the old 'advertising rule'. Never limit the customers expectations. Windows 3 will run on 640K ;)  (they still do this for W10, will it BOOT FULLY? Good spec. )

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Pixies are just weird on what can and can not be done.  (it really is time to give the manuals a real fine tooth going over, marking specific version limits. And yes!, I do think manuals should cover the entire history of a model. Many of us have added MORE boards to our LOR rig over the years)

I wanted to load the pixie4 to run as a standalone sequence. If I had it configured for 100px / port a lot of stuff was NO_GO that was OK at 50 / port. Another thing: I had a Gen3 CTB daisy chained to that Pixie4. The CTB16 could not run the Pixie4 from stand alone mode, BUT the Pixie4 could run the CTB16.

JR It is the old 'advertising rule'. Never limit the customers expectations. Windows 3 will run on 640K ;)  (they still do this for W10, will it BOOT FULLY? Good spec. )

Last I knew DevMike writes/ rewrites the manuals and he like all of us are humans and make mistakes. This is why I addressed the issue here since the OP is asking me the same type questions through PM's and I have bane asked this repeatedly. As I mention in my lengthy writeup "for the pixies its Pro (for ELOR or bust). As far as the manual keeping up, the only time I open a manual is to quote to someone in question what it says. I have built 75+ for myself and others and have the results have always been the same.

The different versions are basically covered in one manual and that's understandable since they all work and are configured the very same way. All that is lacking IMHO is being able to select over 100 pixel or anywhere from 1-150/170/200 (maybe this year I will test the 200) whichever is correct in SE or S5 within the setup parameters but the workaround for that is to configure any of them as a pixcon16 with the same base unit IS and network info. That is easy enough. I discovered that while trying to assist a young lady in 2018 with her Christmas matrix that was 170 pixels wide. If you set it up as a pixcon16 in ELOR and it is less than 16 ports you just mark the extra ad do not use or something. Save the confusion.

As far as the customer and limits of expectations- don't know where it came from but I have always been completely satisfied with all LOR products and/ or their Customer Service the one or two times I needed it.

When it comes to Windows, I know nothing other than whatever software I have used or currently using.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Last I knew DevMike writes/ rewrites the manuals and he like all of us are humans and make mistakes. This is why I addressed the issue here since the OP is asking me the same type questions through PM's and I have bane asked this repeatedly. As I mention in my lengthy writeup "for the pixies its Pro (for ELOR or bust). As far as the manual keeping up, the only time I open a manual is to quote to someone in question what it says. I have built 75+ for myself and others and have the results have always been the same.

As far as the customer and limits of expectations- don't know where it came from but I have always been completely satisfied with all LOR products and/ or their Customer Service the one or two times I needed it.

When it comes to Windows, I know nothing other than whatever software I have used or currently using.

JR

JR I am not dissatisfied. (Manuals are also an evil necessity).  The Windows reference was simply to point out ADVERTISERS (in general) never want to point out limits that would cause customers to give a long think before a purchase.

• The topic was locked