Light-O-Rama Forums

Beaglebone black to run show

ebrown1972

Is it possible to use a beaglebone black to run an LOR show? I have one running my p10 panel and I know you can control an xlights show with one but what about an LOR show? If so, what needs to be done? Thanks.

Here are the requirements, if it can meet these then it will run:

1 GHz or faster CPU, Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (we do recommend Windows 10 for the best security), Windows Media Player 9 or higher, 200 MB free disk space + space for audio files and sequence files, recommended memory for your version of operating system and at least one serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR).  You will NOT need to install any hardware in your PC.

12 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Is it possible to use a beaglebone black to run an LOR show? I have one running my p10 panel and I know you can control an xlights show with one but what about an LOR show? If so, what needs to be done? Thanks.

They need to make software for ARM devices like FPP to allow it to happen but I wouldn't hold my breath since they sell MP3 show players they don't want to harm those sales.

1 hour ago, Sully said:

They need to make software for ARM devices like FPP to allow it to happen but I wouldn't hold my breath since they sell MP3 show players they don't want to harm those sales.

I wish they would consider doing it. I have considered going with a different software because sometimes we are limited with LOR. 

18 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I wish they would consider doing it. I have considered going with a different software because sometimes we are limited with LOR. 

Same here. The limitations are getting worse each year. I understand their logic in one way but in another it makes no sense.

i understand they don’t want to hurt showplayer sales but really would supporting Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone do that? Let’s face it those 2 devices aren’t for the plug and play user so I can’t see them hurting sales much.

I’ve ignored issues over the years with LOR but 5.3.x did it for me. Why they decided to do such abrupt and unnecessary changes was beyond belief. I feel they’re forcing everyone who uses pixels into Superstar and that is a direction I refuse to go. I find Superstar too expensive and useless. But it seems they are killing pixel editor. I also don’t believe anyone should have to pay for effects.

This year is my last on LOR. I’ve already began the move to the dark side and can say it’s a much smoother process than I thought. Plus I can actually utilize my motion lights and Raspberry Pi easily.

1 hour ago, Sully said:

I feel they’re forcing everyone who uses pixels into Superstar and that is a direction I refuse to go. I find Superstar too expensive and useless. But it seems they are killing pixel editor.

I find that interesting that you say that.  As a long time user of SuperStar (since 2012), my opinion of S5 is that they are doing their best to kill off SuperStar and force everyone to use what was in S4 called Pixel Editor and now in S5 is called Motion Effects.  SuperStar is far less convenient to use in S5 than it was in S4 for a bunch of reasons.  By my best wild guess, for me to sequence a song using SuperStar under S5 will take 5 to 10 times longer than it would using SuperStar under S4.  About the only advantage that S5 will give me is the ability to mix Motion Effects and SuperStar Effects on the same prop in the same song.

• The topic was locked