Light-O-Rama Forums

Power to Director

DougW

I'm new to this and am trying to get my Pixie16D running using my G4-MP3 director.  I get the Pixie running lights just fine when connecting the network directly to the computer via the USB485.  I also get the show saved to the SD card just fine (as near as I know anyway).  However my issue is when I try to introduce the Director.  My understanding is that the Director should be powered by the Cat5e cable from the Pixie16D.  I have it connected and the Pixie is on, but the Director does nothing.  No response of any kind.  My network cable is very short - it's just a couple feet long.  Ideas?

3 hours ago, DougW said:

I'm new to this and am trying to get my Pixie16D running using my G4-MP3 director.  I get the Pixie running lights just fine when connecting the network directly to the computer via the USB485.  I also get the show saved to the SD card just fine (as near as I know anyway).  However my issue is when I try to introduce the Director.  My understanding is that the Director should be powered by the Cat5e cable from the Pixie16D.  I have it connected and the Pixie is on, but the Director does nothing.  No response of any kind.  My network cable is very short - it's just a couple feet long.  Ideas?

According to the Pixie Manual, the 2nd generation Pixie 16D uses jumper 2 to provide power to the RJ45 jacks. Check your controller for generation number.

Bob W

If your Pixie does not supply power. you may be in luck

Power Input
Normally, power is supplied by the attached
controller in the case of the LOR1602MP3g3 or via
the network jacks which are connected to LOR
controllers. There is also an auxiliary barrel
connector on the stand-alone version of the G3-
MP3. It can be used to supply power if
 the G3-MP3 is more than 50’ from the nearest
controller or the controller does not supply
auxiliary power
 the G3-MP3 is to be connected to a PC
without using a USB485B powered adapter or
an attached lighting controller (I.e. using a
USB485 or SC485 adapter)
 the G3-MP3 is to be put on a timer or switch
to control it
Use a center-positive 12 VDC power adapter to
supply external power to G3-MP3 if needed.

Those are pretty common(many LCD monitors use them. I never throw away working power bricks) . Look at the wall wort name plate 12VDC, probably any above 500ma will work

• The topic was locked