Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer Requirements just to run a show.

sresener

Ill start of with a funny story.

Im married and sometimes I watch things on my computer that I know a lot of men do. (im not going to say what).

But last night I was wondering why I could  not hear anything, after about 30 min I instantly realized I was still connected to my outdoor speakers...…………... 

So to the point I have a couple slower computers that I want to run only the show, what can I get away with using, This computer will only run 4.4 and be stripped of as many running services as possible. 

I am running a show with all dmx channels if that makes a difference. 

Edited by sresener

Running a show does not take much.  Until a couple years ago, I was running my show (with thousands of channels) on a Pentium 2 based computer running Windows XP.  The fastest sequence was able to max out the CPU until I switched almost everything to Intensity files, and then it was down to about 18% CPU at the max.  Replaced that two years ago with an i5 based computer running Windows 7 - not so much because I needed more CPU horsepower, but I wanted to get away from XP.

If you are concerned that a computer wont be able to run your show, set it up and run your show during the day and watch the CPU performance.

19 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Running a show does not take much.  Until a couple years ago, I was running my show (with thousands of channels) on a Pentium 2 based computer running Windows XP.  The fastest sequence was able to max out the CPU until I switched almost everything to Intensity files, and then it was down to about 18% CPU at the max.  Replaced that two years ago with an i5 based computer running Windows 7 - not so much because I needed more CPU horsepower, but I wanted to get away from XP.

If you are concerned that a computer wont be able to run your show, set it up and run your show during the day and watch the CPU performance.

Yah Im throwing a small ssd in it right now.  Its a slow quad core intel n4100 hopefully it does the trick. 

26 minutes ago, sresener said:

Yah Im throwing a small ssd in it right now.  Its a slow quad core intel n4100 hopefully it does the trick. 

CORES do not really help for a show. (K6CCC was on a Pentium 2. 1 core)  You want  good I/O capacity (that SSD can help or it could hog (supply data so fast, that is all the IO can  handle)

40 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

CORES do not really help for a show. (K6CCC was on a Pentium 2. 1 core)  You want  good I/O capacity (that SSD can help or it could hog (supply data so fast, that is all the IO can  handle)

Its only a older intel sata ssd  I would be shocked if it saturated I/O. A quad core may not help playing a show, but it will sure help out windows 10 with everything else going on in the background. 

I run my show from a Gateway netbook that had Win7 starter edition on it, ran no problem. The computer was painfully slow to use for web surfing and what not. I have since done a clean/new install of Win10 (computer is much faster and better to use) and only have LOR on there and it works great. We run 6 controllers using about 92 channels.

I run mine off a cheap mini pc with a cheapo Intel Atom in it, I paid $120 for. I'd use a raspberry pi but LOR don't support it.

Edited by Sully

If it is not connected (ever) to the Internet. Unsupported  is moot. You just need compatible drivers. Those packages  can be imported from any PC via sneakernet (flash drive).

It needs to WORK  😛

It needs USB2 ports

It needs RAM (not the bare minimum) and disk space.

I asked this question years ago and found the thread that Matt answered. 3rd post the thread.

Alan...

Edited by default

• The topic was locked