Light-O-Rama Forums

Roofline Pixel Set up

Mike Anderson

Hello

I would like to outline my roof with pixels as my next project but am unsure where to start.  I am familiar with the CCB and Pixie 2 controllers.  Ideally, I would like to run it off of one controller, with the least amount of wires as possible.  What are some suggestions as to how this can be accomplished.  Mounting is not an issue as I have that figured out.  Is there something available that would allow me to run everything off of one controller?  Maybe with power inducers?  Im not quite sure what it will take as far as pixel amount, but its a fairly large area.

Thanks in advance

Mike

You did not give us much to go on.  I would suggest taking a photo from the street and also a satellite view (screen capture from Google Earth for example).  Annotate both with where you want to add lights and if there are preferred controller locations.  Include distances - either on the photos or in the text of your post.  Post both photos here.

I can do that.  Im more so looking for suggestions on controllers that power more than 100 pixels per port and would give me the greater distance to complete the outline.  Pictures to follow when i get home

1 minute ago, Mike Anderson said:

I can do that.  Im more so looking for suggestions on controllers that power more than 100 pixels per port and would give me the greater distance to complete the outline.  Pictures to follow when i get home

The limitation has little to do with controllers, and everything to do with resistance in the pixel wiring.  Can't get around the laws of physics...

4 minutes ago, Mike Anderson said:

I would use Falcon Christmas controllers. I have a few props at a distance of 25 feet away from the controller controlling 400 pixels (12V) with no power injection. Mind you, I do not run my pixels at 100% power. This prop is set at 50% and I have no issues at all. Falcon is arguably the best pixel controller made as far as how many pixels per port, expansion, and things of that nature.

4 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I would use Falcon Christmas controllers. I have a few props at a distance of 25 feet away from the controller controlling 400 pixels (12V) with no power injection. Mind you, I do not run my pixels at 100% power. This prop is set at 50% and I have no issues at all. Falcon is arguably the best pixel controller made as far as how many pixels per port, expansion, and things of that nature.

Compatible with LOR?  And where can i find these?   

The Falcon controllers are E1.31 based which works just fine with LOR.  There are a bunch of E1.31 controllers out there and any can be used with LOR.  I have been using SanDevices controllers since 2012.  Of course the LOR Pixcon16 can run either over a LOR network or E1.31 networking - but had not come out when I built my pixel tree.  Here are some of the players with E1.31 pixel controllers - there are others too:

LOR Pixcon16:  http://store.lightorama.com/pipico.html

SanDevices:  http://sandevices.com/

Falcon controllers:  https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php

Holiday Coro:  http://www.holidaycoro.com/Default.asp

There is a little additional stuff to learn with E1.31, but it's not overly hard.

Hi Jim   question  for you ?   I need to buy some  Cat- 5 cable for next year any suggestions on what type . Thanks Dennis