Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there a 64 bit version of S4

sresener

I have not made the jump to s5 I was wondering if there is a 64bit version of s4. 

My lights are all pixels via dmx is S5 better optimized for some of my very large sequences. 

48 minutes ago, sresener said:

My lights are all pixels via dmx is S5 better optimized for some of my very large sequences. 

E1.31 or DMX over RS-485?

Are you using Sequencer, Motion Effects, or SuperStar to create your sequences?

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

E1.31 or DMX over RS-485?

Are you using Sequencer, Motion Effects, or SuperStar to create your sequences?

Its all dmx on its own private network. I use multiple pixcon16 controllers. I don't have any playback or network issues. 

I do not make my own sequences, I primarily purchase wowlights sequences then modify them to fit my dmx universes. Where I have issues is I have a very capable computer and im working within some pretty large files. Some sequences are over 900mb in size. I work in sequence editor and it can be painfull working with these files at times. 

I have had to manage how many clipboards I use, I can not get crazy at pasting ect ect ect. 

When your using a high end work station and have 64gbs of ram and your 32bit program is running out of memory and pausing after changes.... well some optimizations would be nice :).

I do understand that they have to make this program work well with a lot of computers.

25 minutes ago, DevMike said:

64 bit is not a magical cure all that you are lead to believe.  I have a post around here documenting that.

I am not lead to believe anything, and I completely agree with what you just said.  64bit just allows access to more resources and I have seen 64bit versions slower than there 32bit. And I can only imagine the headaches in trying to develop software that works with everything.  And even if you do get it "perfect" Microsoft will change something :)

It seams that with smart pixels, the amount of channels is getting crazy. Right now I only have 3 controllers full with plans to add  more controllers. 

Right now my "the greatest show" sequence is 909 mb and I have to save my work constantly in s4 for fear of it crashing. I already purchased the next two years leds so its only going to get worse. 

I figure unless s5 works better I will do all my additional work in its own separate sequence. then once its completed simply add it to my main sequence. 

56 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Well with large sequences im running into memory  issues. I can't exactly remember the error sequence editor gives me but its about memory resources. 

And again I completely agree that 64bit does not bring any "magical speedup" when my computer is waiting on the software to finish its "thinking or doing" :)  its using less than 10% of its cpu resources and less than 1% of my nvme's " theoretical transfer rate. 

Edited by sresener

I wanted to say I'm not in any way complaining. Over all  I have had a great experience and no real setbacks with choosing lor. 

1 hour ago, sresener said:

I am not lead to believe anything, and I completely agree with what you just said.  64bit just allows access to more resources and I have seen 64bit versions slower than there 32bit. And I can only imagine the headaches in trying to develop software that works with everything.  And even if you do get it "perfect" Microsoft will change something :)

It seams that with smart pixels, the amount of channels is getting crazy. Right now I only have 3 controllers full with plans to add  more controllers. 

Right now my "the greatest show" sequence is 909 mb and I have to save my work constantly in s4 for fear of it crashing. I already purchased the next two years leds so its only going to get worse. 

I figure unless s5 works better I will do all my additional work in its own separate sequence. then once its completed simply add it to my main sequence. 

That’s all small. You shouldn’t have memory issues I’d check for ramps in the very beginning of your sequences.

My Greatest Show sequence is 1.78gb. Thriller was even larger than that.

When creating Thriller I was cussing up a storm because it was giving me memory allocation errors after errors.

After all was said and done and many hours trying to troubleshoot Brian found a ramp that was prior to music start.

We took out the ramp and it worked.

You also may need to copy no more than 4 ports in your RGB parts at a time and save after every copy/paste

JR

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

That’s all small. You shouldn’t have memory issues I’d check for ramps in the very beginning of your sequences.

My Greatest Show sequence is 1.78gb. Thriller was even larger than that.

When creating Thriller I was cussing up a storm because it was giving me memory allocation errors after errors.

After all was said and done and many hours trying to troubleshoot Brian found a ramp that was prior to music start.

We took out the ramp and it worked.

You also may need to copy no more than 4 ports in your RGB parts at a time and save after every copy/paste

JR

I have been pretty careful about cleaning up my sequences. My memory issues come from large clipboards and large pasting and don't seem to be due to the size of the file. I find The larger the file the longer the program hangs when saving so I can only imagine how long its going to hang when my files sizes double. Do yours temporarily hand when saving? 

I am going to try to  break down my sequences into smaller ones and then combine them in the end.

Just now, sresener said:

I have been pretty careful about cleaning up my sequences. My memory issues come from large clipboards and large pasting and don't seem to be due to the size of the file. I find The larger the file the longer the program hangs when saving so I can only imagine how long its going to hang when my files sizes double. Do yours temporarily hand when saving? 

I am going to try to  break down my sequences into smaller ones and then combine them in the end.

Not when I only paste 4 rows. Works like a charm, yes it slows down as I build them but I have time. At lest the outcome works.

I got complacent with my faster computer. But learned after having to do it all over again.

I hate double work.

JR

2 hours ago, sresener said:

What I am talking about now that Im on my computer.

I have 2 laptops, one strictly show, has never had a program or file that is not for a show. The other sequencing. I transfer all of my sequences once they are complete. However I keep all props separate to make them easier to share. So since I share them I keep them on my sequencing laptop. 

So when I build the sequences from either James or one of the other team members I copy RGB ports 4 at a time. No more than that and then save, then repeat until the sequence is complete.

Then I copy the sequence to my removeable media and place the sequence in my show folder. I also transfer the audio file. I put them in their perspective LOR root folder.

Then I open the sequence and play it. Prevents the audio not found error.

Hopefully that explains it better.

I was at physical therapy when I type the latter.

JR

I was trying to copy and paste a mega tree twice into a sequence. It took 45 minutes to do this. If I copied to much and didn't save every time I would get 

(CAN NOT ALLOCATE MEMORY FOR ARCHIVED EVENT STORE)

If I decided to not save I would also get (ERROR SAVING FILE INVALID PROCEDURE CALL)

I was monitoring my system resources and sequence editor memory usage would go up to 3500 mb and then the first error would occur.

The mega tree was a very busy sequence it alone takes 400mb of disk space

Is there a way to disable the undo and redo option?

Edited by sresener

Well in the undo settings I unchecked (enable undo recording) and all the memory usage issues went away instantly. The funny thing is I looked for this setting for over a hour to find it. It was to easy to find :).