Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID COUNTS and Programming

Aycock501

I bought 2 sets (4 strings total, 2 controllers) of the CCB during the clearance sale.  I have a 2 part question. 

Part I:  I have been able to individually connect via hardware utility to the ccb controllers and test comms, functionality, etc.  They chase, change colors, and all that cool stuff.  When I went to the console in the hardware utility and opened up what appeared to be a simulated DMX type test console, nothing happened when I moved the sliders up/down as directed in the instructions.  So My question is, how in the world do I program these things.  My goal is to have them on chasing and color changing arches.  Pretty simple.

Part II:  I have 3 standard LOR controllers, and 2 of these CCB units now.  I currently utilize the basic plus software.  That software says it only supports up to 4 unit id's.  Question is do each of those ccb controllers count as a unit id, meaning that I will have to upgrade to standard software in order to actually utilize?

Thanks for your help!

Part 1.  I did a series of screen captures a couple weeks ago for someone testing a DMX device, so I can only go part way and because my show is running right now I can't add the additional screen captures.  For starters, I assume you are opening the Pixel Console in the Hardware Utility as shown below (the red arrow):

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-1.png

When it starts, the defaults are shown below (the orange arrows).  For your purposes, you will select the CCR/CCP/Pixie button on the lower left, and select the Unit ID.

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-2.png

The slider to the right of the Unit IDs allows changing the channel range.

As for part two, that depends.  Here are a few screen captures that I did a while ago.  I scanned my network that has three CCP controllers (each with two strings).  One of them shows as Unit ID 23 (the green arrow).  I selected Config (the red arrow):

HU-1.png

Then select Cosmic Color / Pixie Config (the purple arrow):

HU-2.png

On the Cosmic Color Config, the part in the upper left corner in the green oval sets the mode.  When set to Normal, the controller operates with one ID.  The first string uses channels 1 - 150 for the LEDs and 151 - 157 for the macros.  The second string uses channels 161 - 310 for the LEDs and 311 - 317 for the macros.  In the legacy mode (DON'T USE THIS MODE), the controller uses 10 IDs for each string.  The mode I use is Dual Normal in which each string uses one Unit ID.  In this mode each string has a separate ID and uses channels 1 - 150 for the LEDs and 151 - 157 for the macros.  In my case, for this controller, string 1 is Unit ID 23 and string 2 is Unit ID 24.

HU-3.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim,  I've tried this and here's what I've run in to.  First of all, since I was running on basic and was adding controllers, I upgraded to s5 standard just to make sure it wasn't a software constraint.  Brief description of the network is as follows:

(3) CTB 16 CHANNEL controllers; 1 green board, and 2 blue boards; all upgraded firmware to latest version

(2) CCB100D DMX units; each unit has 2 strands of 50 CCB bulbs

Unit 1 is CTB GREEN

Unit 2 is CTB Blue

Unit 3 is CTB Blue

Unit 4 is CCB100 (2-1/2 arches)

Unit 5 is CCB100 (2-1/2 arches)

Issue #1:  When autoconfiguring network, if the CCB controllers are connected to standard controllers via enet daisy chain, the only controllers that show up are the last CTB controller and the 2 CCB controllers.  The first two CTB controllers don't appear.  IF i disconnect the cable to the CCB controller, and autosearch, the first 2 controllers reappear.

Issue #2:Just connecting to the CCB controllers to the US485 adapter so that I can play with the lights, the only thing that I can do is run the tests through the hardware utility.  If I open up the console shown below, the sliders are inactive.  I can't adjust anything!  

you need to set the 2 things you have arrows pointing to (they do NOT auto-set  from the detection phase)

Controller type CCB/CCP/Pixie in your case  and the UNIT ID (Pixies also count Ports from the base ID. base ID 30, Port 4 = set to 33)

once set, the Pixel group slider will be active (it does not apply for a dumb controller:CMB24)

The sad thing,is the slider only allows the first 50 NODES (top number)

1 hour ago, Aycock501 said:

Issue #1:  When autoconfiguring network, if the CCB controllers are connected to standard controllers via enet daisy chain, the only controllers that show up are the last CTB controller and the 2 CCB controllers.  The first two CTB controllers don't appear.  IF i disconnect the cable to the CCB controller, and autosearch, the first 2 controllers reappear.

Don't get overly excited about the Hardware Utility not always finding everything.  It just does sometimes.  Yes, it's annoying.

24 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The sad thing,is the slider only allows the first 50 NODES (top number)

Yea, even in S5, they have not fixed that.  It does go to 170 pixels when in DMX...

I have the exact same problem, it detects it using the hardware configuration.  However when adding to the sequence editor, how am I supposed to add it ?

What hardware device am I suppose to select ?

I tried both the CC-II and the cosmic color ribbon hardware and I get weird effects, such as only multi colored lights ir green every 3rd light... 
What am I doing wrong ??

When using the hardware utility all lights are the same color but unable to program in the sequence editot...

Please advise

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, k6ccc said:

Part 1.  I did a series of screen captures a couple weeks ago for someone testing a DMX device, so I can only go part way and because my show is running right now I can't add the additional screen captures.  For starters, I assume you are opening the Pixel Console in the Hardware Utility as shown below (the red arrow):

Controlling_Pixels_using_HU-1.png

When it starts, the defaults are shown below (the orange arrows).  For your purposes, you will select the CCR/CCP/Pixie button on the lower left, and select the Unit ID.

The slider to the right of the Unit IDs allows changing the channel range.

As for part two, that depends.  Here are a few screen captures that I did a while ago.  I scanned my network that has three CCP controllers (each with two strings).  One of them shows as Unit ID 23 (the green arrow).  I selected Config (the red arrow):

HU-1.png

Then select Cosmic Color / Pixie Config (the purple arrow):

HU-2.png

On the Cosmic Color Config, the part in the upper left corner in the green oval sets the mode.  When set to Normal, the controller operates with one ID.  The first string uses channels 1 - 150 for the LEDs and 151 - 157 for the macros.  The second string uses channels 161 - 310 for the LEDs and 311 - 317 for the macros.  In the legacy mode (DON'T USE THIS MODE), the controller uses 10 IDs for each string.  The mode I use is Dual Normal in which each string uses one Unit ID.  In this mode each string has a separate ID and uses channels 1 - 150 for the LEDs and 151 - 157 for the macros.  In my case, for this controller, string 1 is Unit ID 23 and string 2 is Unit ID 24.

HU-3.png

Thanks for the helpful info yet again! I'm trying to set up new equipment that I bought in the summer sale. It's amazing what I can forget in one year's time! 😂

• The topic was locked