Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't use without visualizer?

jtomason

I have never used the visualizer and have no desire to.  

Does this mean I cannot ever use S5, or is there a workaround?   

Why do you think you have to use the Preview Window in S5?

Yes, you need to configure the channels by selecting a Preview. This is a combination of the Vizualizer the LCC function from S4 combined. But you don't have to have the Preview Window showing when you do programming or watch playback.

(And those more familiar with S5 can explain better.)

9 minutes ago, jtomason said:

I have never used the visualizer and have no desire to.  

Does this mean I cannot ever use S5, or is there a workaround?   

What's wrong with the vis? It is a very useful tool.

Also you can use the animator built in to S4.

From what I have been told both of them can be imported in to the preview for S5.

Also from what I have been told you do not need either to use S5, you can use prebuilt props for your preview, but if going to S5 you need some sort of preview.

That's all I know about it. No plans on moving but I have installed and looked at it on my desktop.

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

No plans on moving

I complained about S2, S3 and S4... I'm sure I'll get used to S5.

I suspect we all will in time.

• Like 1

I've never used it - just never had the need to, so I never configured my props in it (save for maybe one or two).  Now my sequences will not play under S5, so I had to revert.  

Yeah, I guess I don't have a choice - but I'm not happy about that.   If I don't want to use a feature, why force me to?

When you open a sequence that was created in S4 with S5, it should do the conversion for you, and prompt you along the way.

I've converted S4 to S5 for customers and they've run them just fine. The only thing you (Joe) need to use the Preview function for is to configure the channels. That will act as your Import/Export LCC from S4. No need to do anything more.

Create a new animation sequence in S5. It will ask you how many channels, and configure them for you. Then you would use that 'Preview' in any other sequence you want configured the same way.

Thus for me, I would end up creating a Preview for each Customer of mine, and using that Preview when working on their sequence. Some customers I'd use the actual Viz function of the Preview .. for everyone else, I wouldn't.

10 minutes ago, Don said:

When you open a sequence that was created in S4 with S5, it should do the conversion for you, and prompt you along the way.

I've converted S4 to S5 for customers and they've run them just fine. The only thing you (Joe) need to use the Preview function for is to configure the channels. That will act as your Import/Export LCC from S4. No need to do anything more.

Create a new animation sequence in S5. It will ask you how many channels, and configure them for you. Then you would use that 'Preview' in any other sequence you want configured the same way.

Thus for me, I would end up creating a Preview for each Customer of mine, and using that Preview when working on their sequence. Some customers I'd use the actual Viz function of the Preview .. for everyone else, I wouldn't.

I'll give that a try.   When opening an S4 sequence, it would complain that the channels were not present in the Visualizer and "archive" them, thus there was nothing configured and nothing on the grid.   

You can go in and un-archive the ones you want. The archived ones are preceded by the "@" in the grid view. This where using the same channel config and preview for every sequence pays off. Once you set it up, and un-archive all the ones you want, you export the channel config and then re-import to new sequences and you should be good to go.