Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 is AWESOME!

morden11

Okay, so about 3 months ago I upgraded from version 3 to version 5.  I did this because I had to, I had replaced a bunch of the older CCD/CCB/CCRs that I had from earlier seasons after a power surge fried a bunch of the boxes.  I got the three prong pixels, and the older software didn't support them, at least not in the hardware utility.

So of course, S5 is a million years different than my old version S3, and it was like learning Light O Rama all over again.  And like most Light O Rama software, the instructions are as useful as one written in another language, but with some previous knowledge of the older system, I was able to find what changed and where.  Here's what I love!

-  The motion rows are amazing!  I can do in seconds what previously required minutes or in some cases hours with the old system, having to use Super Star only

-  When I do use SuperStar though, I can select the timing in the motion row that will include the segment, and then Superstar automatically gets brought into the main LOREDIT file.  I don't have to save it in SuperStar separately anymore and then import it later.  Also, the Superstar elements are included as separate 'files' that just need to be in the same folder with the LOREDIT file.

-  The way props work allows me to really set up the show how I'd like using a 'prop template' (with each prop basically being either a channel or a Pixel/RGB Controller).  So I set up the show using the props and then every subsequent show, I can just select the same template, vs. the more cumbersome effort to get a new show going using the older system.

-   All this bakes into so much less time to create a show now.  I can do a new show in a few hours instead of days (due to the # of pixel controllers I have the CCB/CCD/CCR controllers required infinitely more time in the past)

I hope everyone is enjoying S5 the same.  And while again the instructions were crap, once I got the hang of it S5 is hands down 500% superior to how I was creating shows previously.

• Like 2

The key here is that you upgraded a few months back, you didn't just upgrade now. S5 has a learning curve to it and there are those who are attempting to upgrade now and still run a show this year. DON'T DO IT!!!

Amen !  Yup, totally agree.   There are a few folks that probably had issues or don't like it, but for me, it is simply fabulous and much fun to use.

I also agree that no one should try upgrading right now in the midst of the lighting season, but I really like S5 also.  I barely used the earlier versions ( I did one sequence in maybe S3?)  so I think the learning curve was actually easier.  I particularly like the Preview.  Creating a preview and then basing my sequences on it works really well.  I love that when I need to make a change (husband put up the pixel snowflakes in a different order from what I had expected. We needed to reduce the intensity of the pixel trees,   A pair of props got reversed and husband didn't want to climb back under the porch just to switch the plugs, etc.) I make a simple change to the Preview and that change gets reflected to every sequence created using that Preview.  About the only other thing that is needed, is that I need to run the show so it will recreate the play files.  Thankfully, my 14 sequences (current count, it keeps going up!) only take about 5-7 minutes to process.

For those who have a background in programming, it makes me think of the early days of Object Oriented programming.  For those who were really used to sequential programming in FORTRAN or COBAL and such, OOP seemed like this horrible confusing mess and there was a lot of push back from long time programmers.  The Preview makes me think of this as Object Oriented lighting.  My Prop objects in the Preview have properties that define the network they are on, the controller, channel, color, dimming curve, shape and so on.  Anything I want to know about a prop is stored there.  Sequences use those Prop objects.  If I change a property of a Prop, then every sequence that uses that Prop, inherits the change.  It is awesome!

16 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The key here is that you upgraded a few months back, you didn't just upgrade now. S5 has a learning curve to it and there are those who are attempting to upgrade now and still run a show this year. DON'T DO IT!!!

I don't know if I'd say that exactly/ I've been running S5 since it first came out and every version of S5 has been a totally different beast than what 5.3.10 is. I don't have enough time to type all that is wrong with 5.3.10.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PJD said:

For those who have a background in programming, it makes me think of the early days of Object Oriented programming.  For those who were really used to sequential programming in FORTRAN or COBAL and such, OOP seemed like this horrible confusing mess and there was a lot of push back from long time programmers.  The Preview makes me think of this as Object Oriented lighting.  My Prop objects in the Preview have properties that define the network they are on, the controller, channel, color, dimming curve, shape and so on.  Anything I want to know about a prop is stored there.  Sequences use those Prop objects.  If I change a property of a Prop, then every sequence that uses that Prop, inherits the change.  It is awesome!

👍

When Borlands Paradox switched to OOP, that was my downfall. The straight Procedural stuff of Pdox DOS, no sweat.

I can read most code, but my brain-fingers just won't create it.

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

👍

When Borlands Paradox switched to OOP, that was my downfall. The straight Procedural stuff of Pdox DOS, no sweat.

I can read most code, but my brain-fingers just won't create it.

That product faded away in 1994! 

9 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

That product faded away in 1994! 

So did I 😛

Actually, they released  Pdox DOS 4.5 in 95, but they also released Win 4.5 (the first release kept the compatible DB structure numbering to avoid confusion)

I find motion effects to be a double edged sword.

On one hand, there are amazing effects, easily accessed, and incorporated into a show.

On the other hand I find myself feeling guilty that it is just too easy to throw an effect at a sequence and let the viewers brain do the sequencing.

One of my friends once asked me how I synced  a neighbours lights to mine, a static display with twinkling and flashing strings. Of course I was not.

16 hours ago, PJD said:

My thoughts EXACTLY! And I was one of those Cobol guys!