Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to get into pixels next year - maybe

lstewartff

I have an 80 Channel LOR set up right now with just incandescent strings. Trying to get into pixels for next year. Where can I find tutorials of what I need to buy, and how it works together. I have played with the Pixel Editor but it is still confusing to me and since my computer controls my lights I don't want to us my computer much till after Christmas so maybe watch videos until then. My set up now was fairly easy thanks to John Storms videos on YouTube He explains stuff well. Pixels scare me.

I added some pixels this year - went with the LOR setup although I added to it.    From the software point of view, you need Pro version and the superstar add on does make it easier for some things although not required as the Sequence editor motion effects work well too.   

Pixels do take a lot more thought.   While 80 channels seems like a lot, but they are either on or off (of some intensity).   With pixels, each one is one of thousands of colors.  

A lot of the people that post here, also buy pixels from other parties with different setups so a lot depends on which way you want to go.  

there are facebook groups for LOR displays and advanced pixels that I followed to get some ideas too.

The first thing you would need to do is upgrade your license to Pro if getting into pixels. Second you need to decide how you want to run them, LORs RS485 or E1.31.

RS485

Pros - Cheaper controllers (Pixie series), easy to configure, longer distances (4000')

Cons - Slower network speeds, smaller networks

E1.31

Pros - Much faster network speeds, larger networks

Cons - Controllers more expensive, shorter networks (300'), networking knowledge a plus.

Some tutorials can be watched here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

• Like 1

Just to say I switched to mostly all pixels a few years ago and glad I did.  Yup, I spent a bunch more money and more of a learning curve, but it has been so much fun doing sequences and displays that I would never consider going back.  A few videos here.  http://HighlandsChristmas.net   Nothing fabulous like all the other great displays here by other people, but simple enough for us. 

for E1.31 if you are lucky enough to have a canvas (yard) large enough to HAVE TO worry about the 300' limit. :D

Place 1 (or more) Ethernet switches  in central locations  to your E1.31 type controllers. Each LEG has the 300' limit.

Ethernet is a Star topology. LOR (RS485) is a daisy chain topology

Thanks for the replies, Been watching You Tube a lot the last week. Ive been looking at the pixel tree on LOR site thinking that maybe the easiest way to start till I get the hang of pixels, controllers, and power supplies.