Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer hardware failure

Jeff Conners

I have been using LOR for years and have the adaptor that converts through io port to ethernet.  This computer is no longer functional and I cannot find another way to plug in my controllers to another pc for them to control my lights!  HELP!  my system has been slow but dependable for a long time.  Was using software version 2.6.0. 

Controllers are CTB16PCG3.

Thank you,

Jeff

I don't know about other folks, but I am a bit confused as to what you want to do.  Can you give some more information?  Example, are you trying to set up a new computer and can't figure out what is needed to configure it for getting LOR to work?

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Yes, I have a lot of other newer computers but they do not have the 9 pin connector to plug the adaptor into.  What do I need to get my LOR to talk through my newer computers?

Just now, Jeff Conners said:

Yes, I have a lot of other newer computers but they do not have the 9 pin connector to plug the adaptor into.  What do I need to get my LOR to talk through my newer computers?

Ah! You have the older SERIAL adapter.

You need the Newer USB Version (get the Red one, you might need to add Pixies later (But you software will need to be updated to at least 4.x)

I suppose I need to upgrade to the newer software also?  Is there a compatibility issue with my older controllers?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Conners said:

I suppose I need to upgrade to the newer software also?  Is there a compatibility issue with my older controllers?

There would be no compatibility issues with older controllers. The USB485 and USB485B will both work with the 2.x version of software.

If you want to keep everything the same as you had it, I would get one of the adapters I mentioned, and then install the 2.x software.

I suppose you could also use a USB to serial adapter (on Amazon or eBay).  I have done that long ago and it worked.   BUT totally agree with above suggestions that you should just get the LOR USB adapter.

• The topic was locked