Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple 1 Tree Prop - S5.2.2 PRO Why so difficuilt?

MikeToo

Have been trying to create an S5 smart RGB prop and seem  to be going nowhere.  Tried to follow a
Tutorial (Creating a Simple Pixel Show) and when I run it, my results are different than those shown in the tutorial video.
All I want is a sequence with 2 RGB trees (a 5-leg SPOKE would work for each tree).  T1, Spoke 1 would be Unit 10, circuits 1-10, T1, Spoke 2 would be Unit 11, circuits 1-10, etc.  The controller is a PIXIE16D on the AUX A network, Enhanced.
T1 is PORT 1, T2 is PORT 2.  The "motion" effect I'm trying to use is a "GARLAND" to keep it simple.  When I create
these props and run the sequence, the Spokes on BOTH trees light up where I only want the tree that I have
selected in the visualizer to show.    Each tree has a different Unit ID and they show up on the visualizer as separate props??  Can someone create a simple sequence to accomplish my goal and attach to this forum??

That should not be overly difficult, but I don't have a clear picture of what you are trying to accomplish.  You say five spokes per tree, but only give channel assignments for three pixels of the first spoke of each tree.  Can you give a better description or even a drawing.  Also send me your E-Mail address so I can send you a prop file.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim.  Email is martoo@verizon  Diagram of tree below.  It is designed for 100 nodes 
however I'm only using 50.  My goal is to be able to turn a series of the nodes on/off independently.
For example (using the Spoke analogy) Spoke 1 would be nodes 1-9, Spoke 2 would be nodes 10-19, etc.
up to Spoke 5 with nodes 42-50. My theory was the tree would be Unit 10.  Nodes 1-9 would be
circuit 1 (channel 1?), 10-19 circuit 2 (channel 2?) etc.  I have 6 trees configured like this... Tree 1 connected
Port 1 on the Pixie16, Tree 2 to Port 2, etc.  At this point I would be happy to just light-up a single tree
with a single color (aka an S4 dumb prop).  Maybe I should define this as a prop in S5 as an unconnected line
with 50 nodes?  Therefore, each tree is a prop with its own UNIT ID starting with 10.  (Units 01 to 0F are
"Regular" networks, AUX A is the "Enhanced" network required for the pixels so the first Unit on this 
network would be 10.)

CoroTreeDiagram.jpg.af56cb088a452b5754a1efbed3da0f44.jpgnet

First of all, let's standardize on some terminology.  I am going to assume that the drawing above is for a single string of 50 pixels connected to one port of the Pixie controller.  That would be one circuit (although that term is generally not used).  That would be one output or port from the controller.  That is NOT a "channel".  That string would consist of 50 pixels, which uses 150 channels.

Each output on a Pixie controller uses one Unit ID.  Therefore, if you assign Unit ID 10 for that Pixie controller, that will be for the first output port.  The second port would be Unit ID 11.  Up to output port 16 would be Unit ID 1F (remember that the Unit IDs count in Hex).

BTW, you can assign any valid Unit ID on any LOR network.  You absolutely could have Unit ID 01 on the Regular Network, Unit ID 01 on the AuxA network, and Unit ID 01 on the AuxB network, etc.  I do NOT recommend that as it is confusing to us humans - but it would work just fine.  So your concept of using IDs 01 - 0F for your regular network and 10 - 1F for your AuxA network makes sense.  That is exactly what I do as well - with my AuxB network having Unit IDs 20 - 2F assigned.  In my case, none of my networks are using all 16 IDs in their range.

As for your specific layout, you complicated it a little with pixels 20 & 41 on the bottom.  I assume you did that because of wire length between pixels when you eliminated half the pixels from the original design.  If it were me, I would insert the couple inches of wire at those two points so that all five segments were 10 pixels - but I can solder wire (and I know some people can't).

I will momentarily be sending you a preview file and two prop files to your E-Mail address. 

Jim and OP,

I was confused by the terminology also. What I understood of it was that the OP wanted 6 trees. Each tree with 5 strings of 9 pixels each for a total of 45 pixels per tree. Each tree will be run from 1 port of a Pixie16, meaning 6 ports will be used. The starting Unit ID for the Pixie16 is to be 10. Each tree is to be controlled seperately. At least that's what I got out of it.

Jim, I knew you were working on it, but it became an obession with me to sort out what he wanted and was describing. I created what I think the OP wanted, as attached below. I used bulbs instead of Lines - Unconnected, or Tree samples. I had to do this with my tree as it similar.

Anyways here what I came up with.

Alan...

Each tree has 5 legs of of 9 pixels each. Groups have been made to make it easier to sequence the trees.

6%20trees%201.jpg

The Unit ID numbers and Start / End Circuits for the trees.

6%20trees%202.jpg

Preview Design page

6%20trees%203.jpg

Sample of Motion Effects applied to "sample of 6 trees.loredit preview

sample%20of%206%20trees.gif

The sample of 6 trees.loredit I used to create the preview above. Open this file as a sequence and it will show you what I did. To add this to your sequence, Grab all components of the 6 trees and export them to a .lpeprop file. Then import it into your Preview.

sample of 6 trees.loredit

I would highly suggest making a back up of your Main Preview file and test on it, before adding to you're main Preview.

Edited by default
Duh forgot to add sample sequence

Hi,

What is the benefit of building each tree by individual legs versus using the tree model?

I've been building the trees using the tree model so far.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian.

Good question.

To me the benefit = more ways to sequence for a prop. Example -  by building the trees with the tree model, you can sequence the trees as a whole tree, that's it. By breaking the tree into indivdual legs offers another way to sequence the tree invidually or arrange the trees (legs)  with different views and have more sequencing options available to you. It's along the lines of the way you can sequence with SS. This way allows you to set the arrangement easier in Sequencer.

If you use a utility by ItsMeBobo called AutoFlip, then you can really get creative. Link and thread about AutoFlip below.

For me it's personal preference. I like the added options to sequence with.

Alan...

Some examples of what I am taling about, The legs of the trees were arranged so that I could use a chase with motion effects.

6%20trees%204.gif

Edited by default

Great info and useful examples!!  The best way to learn is to create a sequence using this info....
To that end I have opened the Sequence Editor and created two tree props, TREE1 and TREE2.  I then selected "New Musical Sequence", and selected my Media file. I then get a prompt to "Select a preview..."  On the drop-down list I select TREE1, the Sequencer opens with the TREE1 prop as expected.  Playing it back produces
exactly what I have countless hours trying to create.  THANK YOU ALL!!  Now, I want to add a second prop I created, "TREE2".  It appears in the PREVIEW list but I have been unable to determine how to add it my sequence?   

I looked at the OP and tried a KISS approach. Attached is an instruction document for creating a preview with 6 trees, each made from 1 string of 50 pixels, containing 5 strands (spokes). Somehow, using 45 pixels just didn't seem right.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AgGohdBBsu9egjKHQ36yY9Gc1uFQ?e=W6ToBD

Bob W

Bob W,

Nice tutorial, good to see others creating them. 👍 The KISS approach is by far the easier (if using 10 pixels per leg), but in my view also limits the way in which you can apply effects to individual effects to the model.

Your right about the 45 pixels, but that's what the OP specified. I wasn't sure if the trees were already physicaly built that way hence the reason I did it the way I did. By using the Tree model and setting 1 string of 50 pixels per tree, means those last 5 pixel will light wherever they happen to land (ie not on the tree). This means you would have to tape them up (cover them).  By doing it the  way I did it, those last 5 pixels are not addressed in the Start/End circuit, thus they will not light (no need to cover them).

Everybody has the same tree models and the effects are the same for all who use those.

This is a lame analogy but maybe it will help understand what I am trying to explain. If you have a car and it was created as a model (whole unit) and you decide to paint the car another color, you have to paint the entire car that color (doors, windows, lights) etc. That is the limitations of the software and the model. If the car was created using pieces you can now change the color of the pieces individualy (door, trunk lid, hood) etc. depending on how many pieces make up the model. Granted right now I might be content with a car that is only one color, but possibly as my experience in painting (sequencing) increases I do not want to go back and recreate the car (and alter existing sequences) so that I can paint (sequence) it another way later on. That is my main reasoning for creating props that are more dynamic for sequencing from the start.

Creating simple props is easy, putting some thought into the creation and make up of props offers more possibilites in this hobby down the road and to that end I make it a point to offer alternative ways to build props. It comes down to a I wish I knew now, what I didn't know then.

S5 is very powerful and offers a lot of ways to sequence if the props are built with that in mind. Here is a prop I did last year. I built this props many many times in prop design and tested before I even bought the lights/controller. This prop shows how a prop can be designed and used in ways that a simple model could never do. Just food for thought.

Alan...

Edited by default

6 hours ago, MikeToo said:

Now, I want to add a second prop I created, "TREE2".  It appears in the PREVIEW list but I have been unable to determine how to add it my sequence?   

Why not put all the trees into 1 preview, you can still sequnce them individualy? Just a thought.

Alan...

20 hours ago, default said:

Bob W,

Nice tutorial, good to see others creating them. 👍 The KISS approach is by far the easier (if using 10 pixels per leg), but in my view also limits the way in which you can apply effects to individual effects to the model.

Your right about the 45 pixels, but that's what the OP specified. I wasn't sure if the trees were already physicaly built that way hence the reason I did it the way I did. By using the Tree model and setting 1 string of 50 pixels per tree, means those last 5 pixel will light wherever they happen to land (ie not on the tree). This means you would have to tape them up (cover them).  By doing it the  way I did it, those last 5 pixels are not addressed in the Start/End circuit, thus they will not light (no need to cover them).

Everybody has the same tree models and the effects are the same for all who use those.

This is a lame analogy but maybe it will help understand what I am trying to explain. If you have a car and it was created as a model (whole unit) and you decide to paint the car another color, you have to paint the entire car that color (doors, windows, lights) etc. That is the limitations of the software and the model. If the car was created using pieces you can now change the color of the pieces individualy (door, trunk lid, hood) etc. depending on how many pieces make up the model. Granted right now I might be content with a car that is only one color, but possibly as my experience in painting (sequencing) increases I do not want to go back and recreate the car (and alter existing sequences) so that I can paint (sequence) it another way later on. That is my main reasoning for creating props that are more dynamic for sequencing from the start.

Creating simple props is easy, putting some thought into the creation and make up of props offers more possibilites in this hobby down the road and to that end I make it a point to offer alternative ways to build props. It comes down to a I wish I knew now, what I didn't know then.

S5 is very powerful and offers a lot of ways to sequence if the props are built with that in mind. Here is a prop I did last year. I built this props many many times in prop design and tested before I even bought the lights/controller. This prop shows how a prop can be designed and used in ways that a simple model could never do. Just food for thought.

Alan...

Alan,

I took a closer look at the MikeToo's drawing. Only the 1st and 5th leg have 9 pixels. The rest have 10. The 2 'missing' pixels from 1 and 5 are used to allow for the spacing at the bottom of the spokes. Nothing a little cut and splice couldn't fix.

I saw your Diamond Pro when you 1st posted it. I even tied building it as a preview. Whew, a bit too much for my novice status, but very impressive. All of your previews and sequences are way beyond me. Maybe someday I'll get a little closer. 😀

I hope my tutorial helps MikeToo a little, and the last entry should help him add the additional tree (TREE2) to the preview.

Bob W

• 2 weeks later...

Alan,

On the same line as building the tree with individual legs, how would you build a window outline?  I assume 4 different legs but would you use the unconnected lines and then group them using the preview arrangement or something completely different? 

I am already thinking of next year and would like to be able to group the bottoms of the windows together and then the tops and then the sides of the windows that are lined up on the 1st & 2nd story.  This will let me run effects along certain parts of the windows along the length or height of the house.  (I am pIanning on outlining the front of the house next year.)  I also want to run effects on each window frame as well.

I have built a prop using the window frame pre-defined prop and am struggling to get a 2nd window prop built out of 4 legs to work the same when grouped together.

I assume what I want to do is possible if I build each side of the window and group them together the right way?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: thanks for sharing the link to the auto flip.  That is very cool and has had me learn more about the clip board and how to use it.

12 hours ago, bmtouhey said:

Alan,

On the same line as building the tree with individual legs, how would you build a window outline?  I assume 4 different legs but would you use the unconnected lines and then group them using the preview arrangement or something completely different? 

I am already thinking of next year and would like to be able to group the bottoms of the windows together and then the tops and then the sides of the windows that are lined up on the 1st & 2nd story.  This will let me run effects along certain parts of the windows along the length or height of the house.  (I am pIanning on outlining the front of the house next year.)  I also want to run effects on each window frame as well.

I have built a prop using the window frame pre-defined prop and am struggling to get a 2nd window prop built out of 4 legs to work the same when grouped together.

I assume what I want to do is possible if I build each side of the window and group them together the right way?

I just built some examples in Preview and yes I would do them as lines unconnected.  I saw lots of possibilities for effect,way more than the standard window prop. Do you want me to do a tutorial on how I would do it?  iIf so, how many windows?

12 hours ago, bmtouhey said:

PS: thanks for sharing the link to the auto flip.  That is very cool and has had me learn more about the clip board and how to use it.

The link was easy, the credit goes to ItsMeBobO.

If you wouldn't mind that would be great.  I'd be happy with 2 windows either vertically or horizontally aligned or a group of 4 in a square.  Any of those should be good to get me on my way.  I appreciate your help with this.  

The end game would be 5 windows on the 2nd floor, 4 windows in the first with a door in the middle in place of the 5th window,  every one aligned vertically and horizontally.  Then there are 2 more 1st floor windows to the left of the main house windows.