Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Jessie

Help where do I start.

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I just ordered my first controller, but have not arrived yet. I did download the Pro version software, I got the pro version because I am hoping to get alot more controllers soon and did not want to be restricted. 
From doing some reading, I would start with the sequencer software right?

Do I make the preview first like the with the picture of my house and draw the lights. 

Or what did you do when you first got you first controller and software? 
 

I am alittle intimidated by the software there was so many when I downloaded it. 

Just need guidance an my first steps. Any suggestions or steps on what to do with the software would help.

I think I looked at almost every youtube video tutorial and some of the videos where made in 2010, the softwares have changed and kind of hard to follow. 
If there are any helpful videos that I missed can you share a link to me.

Thanks for  your help in advance 

Jessie

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you are on S5,  I would not spend too much time looking at S4 tutorials, particularly from 2010. S4 and S5 are very different in how they work. Yes, start with creating your Preview. I would offer up one of my sequences to get you started, but they are converted from S4 and not really the best way to do it in S5. I plan to spend next season getting it right in S5 so that I can easily add new sequences and convert others from S4. I would recommend buying a pre=made sequence or two so you can see how it is done. Make sure to pay the extra so that you can modify them. If you get a locked one, you CANNOT modify it. And always remember....the help file is your friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jessie where are you located in Illinois ? I'm in  Burbank IL  By Chicago IL  Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For S5, you definitely want to start with your preview.  There are some LOR tutorials for S5 at http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/ :

Sequencer (aka: S5) and Making a Preview for Smart Pixels - Using ShowTime Designer Pixels (aka: S5) Previewer, set the background image of your venue and decorate with virtual smart pixels
Sequencer (aka: S5) and Making a Preview for Traditional Lights - Using ShowTime Designer Pixels (aka: S5) Previewer, set the background image of your venue and decorate with virtual traditional lights

You didn't mention if you are using pixels or traditional lights.  I feel like traditional lights are easier to get started, but I know a lot of people seem to be starting with pixels now.

We started with traditional lights and we are now adding pixels to the mix.

When you setup your Preview, you assign the controller information at the same time.  You need to start thinking about which lights you want to control.  For traditional lights, you can think of each channel as being sort of like a light switch.  Anything plugged into that channel will be turned on/dimmed/off/etc all together.  As you add each prop (any items you control - such as a strings of lights) you need to specify the controller (01 if you only have 1) and the channel.  I find it easiest to keep a running note to myself with the channel information.  ie: Controller 04, Channel 1 = White icicles on house, Channel 2 - Multicolored icicles on house, Channel 3 = Red Swag on porch, and so on.

To start getting a feel for sequencing, I would suggest asking for someone to send you a sequence over in the sharing forum.  It doesn't really need to match your setup (It's pretty unlikely anyone would have the same as you anyway.)  Most shared sequences are in the older LMS (up thru S4) format. 

  • When you Open the shared sequence, S5 will upgrade the sequence.  It will ask you about the preview you want to us.  I think it is easiest to just tell it to use "Import block style animation from S2/S3/S4".  Do not try to use your newly created preview for the shared sequence. 
  • Look under the Sequences menu for Sequence Information to find out the music file you will need.  Most shared sequences do not send you the music due to copyright issues.  If you don't already own the song, go find it, but it and download it.  Unfortunately, you will probably also have to modify it to be a "Constant bit rate". This is easy to do with the free program Audacity and there are definitely other threads on here that can explain that.   You can then play the shared sequence to see what it is doing with the lights. 
  • Next, create a NEW Musical sequence that DOES use your new Preview and the audio you modified above.  This will open up a tab with your props and no sequencing.  Then go back and forth between the tabs to cut/paste the sequencing to props that make sense to you.  (Note that you can select an entire row by clicking in it and then typing the letter R - copy it and then switch to your new sequence and select the very beginning of that row where you want it.  If the "Timing" - usually on the far right near the top of the sequencing menus - is not the same for both sequences, use "Paste by time" so it will continue to match up with the music.

Note that I am writing this from memory, so it isn't a perfect step-by-step and is more of an outline.  There are a lot of little nuances you just sort of learn as you go and by asking/reading here on the forum.

I found that once I was somewhat familiar with using S5, that watching S4 videos about using the sequencing menus/options was a little easier.  Things are not' always in the same place and I think a few things may have been renamed, but the general way it works is still the same.  Avoid any videos about "Visualizer" as that is just confusing if you are using S5.  "Pixel editor" videos are sort of OK - I believe that it worked similar to Motion Effects in S5.

Another possibly helpful idea - search the forum for a user named "Default" - he has posted a lot of useful S5 information and how-to videos.

I also found it very helpful to sit down and read the help file.  It is available as a PDF or EPUB.  I put it on my e reader and read through it.  I realize that most people aren't going to do that - but it really helped me get started.  Here is a link to the PDF and EPUB for 5.10.3:  http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.10/LORHelp.pdf. and  http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.10/LORHelp.epub

 

 

Edited by PJD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started about this time of year, 3 years ago, not really sure what I was doing.   I inherited a bunch of controllers and 'stuff' - I found a couple of sample sequences, much like people post here.  As mentioned above, I was all traditional lights at the time and just started with some sample sequences and plugging things in where they were convenient.  I wish I had spent a bit more time on the planning as it happens that my lights are kind of random.  More based on where it was convenient to run a cord not some overall plan.  Many of the purchased/shared sequences assume some order to the lighting.   It hasn't been a problem but did take a while to work out the best way to merge things in.  

As it happened, right after I got started, I had to be away for a week and didn't want to lose time so I started using the visualizer in S4, the precursor of the preview editor.  This worked great as I was able to sit in my hotel room at night and come up with ideas.  They never appear exactly the same, but you got a feel for what was happening.  The concept of "increasingly adding the lights" in the sequence below was done with this method.    I still spend a lot of time working with the previews to get a feel for what things might look like.  

This year, I added a pixel tree and it is considerably more involved.  before. I had a lot of lights spread around 64 channels, but having even 400 pixels which can be independently colored and patterns and … well, it took a bit more to get the knack.  I still have a lot to learn there.  

The sample sequences are a great place to start.  I copy and paste a lot from them versus necessary using them as is.  For example, I have 6 arches but a lot of sequences use 4 or 8 channels for things, so I had to adapt.   The key thing is to get the items that carry the beat or main themes and work around them. Copy and paste is the most important thing to learn here.  Specifically, making sure you are pasting by time or cell.  Time is important when copying from another source that may not match your timing grid.  

But I will say there isn't necessarily any wrong way to do things, perhaps not pleasing but still works.  

with more specifics of what you want to do, other suggestions can help too... 

This video was from 2017 and one of the first that I did (a bit blurry but learned how to do that better too as time went on)

 

 

Edited by TexasLights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!! If that is your first show then I have alot to learn. Right now I just have one 16 channel controller and that is still being shipped on it’s way to me. I have the whole year hoping to getting something going by next year. 

Do you have the pro version of the software now? 
And when you build your show, how do you start? In sequence?
I will only have normal led lights for now. I still need to learn the software, that is the thing that is slowing me down. If I buy alot of controllers and not know how to make them work by the software, my wife would kill me.. hahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PJD said:

For S5, you definitely want to start with your preview.  There are some LOR tutorials for S5 at http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/ :

Sequencer (aka: S5) and Making a Preview for Smart Pixels - Using ShowTime Designer Pixels (aka: S5) Previewer, set the background image of your venue and decorate with virtual smart pixels
Sequencer (aka: S5) and Making a Preview for Traditional Lights - Using ShowTime Designer Pixels (aka: S5) Previewer, set the background image of your venue and decorate with virtual traditional lights

You didn't mention if you are using pixels or traditional lights.  I feel like traditional lights are easier to get started, but I know a lot of people seem to be starting with pixels now.

We started with traditional lights and we are now adding pixels to the mix.

When you setup your Preview, you assign the controller information at the same time.  You need to start thinking about which lights you want to control.  For traditional lights, you can think of each channel as being sort of like a light switch.  Anything plugged into that channel will be turned on/dimmed/off/etc all together.  As you add each prop (any items you control - such as a strings of lights) you need to specify the controller (01 if you only have 1) and the channel.  I find it easiest to keep a running note to myself with the channel information.  ie: Controller 04, Channel 1 = White icicles on house, Channel 2 - Multicolored icicles on house, Channel 3 = Red Swag on porch, and so on.

To start getting a feel for sequencing, I would suggest asking for someone to send you a sequence over in the sharing forum.  It doesn't really need to match your setup (It's pretty unlikely anyone would have the same as you anyway.)  Most shared sequences are in the older LMS (up thru S4) format. 

  • When you Open the shared sequence, S5 will upgrade the sequence.  It will ask you about the preview you want to us.  I think it is easiest to just tell it to use "Import block style animation from S2/S3/S4".  Do not try to use your newly created preview for the shared sequence. 
  • Look under the Sequences menu for Sequence Information to find out the music file you will need.  Most shared sequences do not send you the music due to copyright issues.  If you don't already own the song, go find it, but it and download it.  Unfortunately, you will probably also have to modify it to be a "Constant bit rate". This is easy to do with the free program Audacity and there are definitely other threads on here that can explain that.   You can then play the shared sequence to see what it is doing with the lights. 
  • Next, create a NEW Musical sequence that DOES use your new Preview and the audio you modified above.  This will open up a tab with your props and no sequencing.  Then go back and forth between the tabs to cut/paste the sequencing to props that make sense to you.  (Note that you can select an entire row by clicking in it and then typing the letter R - copy it and then switch to your new sequence and select the very beginning of that row where you want it.  If the "Timing" - usually on the far right near the top of the sequencing menus - is not the same for both sequences, use "Paste by time" so it will continue to match up with the music.

Note that I am writing this from memory, so it isn't a perfect step-by-step and is more of an outline.  There are a lot of little nuances you just sort of learn as you go and by asking/reading here on the forum.

I found that once I was somewhat familiar with using S5, that watching S4 videos about using the sequencing menus/options was a little easier.  Things are not' always in the same place and I think a few things may have been renamed, but the general way it works is still the same.  Avoid any videos about "Visualizer" as that is just confusing if you are using S5.  "Pixel editor" videos are sort of OK - I believe that it worked similar to Motion Effects in S5.

Another possibly helpful idea - search the forum for a user named "Default" - he has posted a lot of useful S5 information and how-to videos.

I also found it very helpful to sit down and read the help file.  It is available as a PDF or EPUB.  I put it on my e reader and read through it.  I realize that most people aren't going to do that - but it really helped me get started.  Here is a link to the PDF and EPUB for 5.10.3:  http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.10/LORHelp.pdf. and  http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.10/LORHelp.epub

 

 

Hello PJD,

I have the CTB16PC-ReadyToGO 16 channel controller for now and in the package bundle just went ahead and got the Pro version software, learning to crawl before I walk but looks like I am doing some crying along the way. I just want to learn the basics of the basic in the software. I am not doing any pixel lights just you basic lights. When I downloaded the software That’s when the confusion started to set in. There was so many that was loaded, but from all the reading and youtube video’s it seems like Sequence editor is the software I need to start with. Right?

But in the sequence editor there is also the preview part, where you take a picture of your house and draw the lights and things. Do I do that part first or the part of the software where I put the fades and shimmer in the song grid. 
hope you know what I mean. I am confused for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tlogan said:

Since you are on S5,  I would not spend too much time looking at S4 tutorials, particularly from 2010. S4 and S5 are very different in how they work. Yes, start with creating your Preview. I would offer up one of my sequences to get you started, but they are converted from S4 and not really the best way to do it in S5. I plan to spend next season getting it right in S5 so that I can easily add new sequences and convert others from S4. I would recommend buying a pre=made sequence or two so you can see how it is done. Make sure to pay the extra so that you can modify them. If you get a locked one, you CANNOT modify it. And always remember....the help file is your friend. 

Thanks tlogan,

I have been through the help file many times and it just confuses me more since I am not familiar yet with the software. So the software term that I have is called S5? I just purchased it 2 days ago the pro version.  
 

The preview is the part of the software that I would import a picture of my house and draw the lights right?   
I will buy a premade sequence thats what it takes. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Hi Jessie where are you located in Illinois ? I'm in  Burbank IL  By Chicago IL  Dennis

Hey Dennis,

yes I am in Zion, Illinois 5 minute from the border of Wisconsin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jessie said:

So the software term that I have is called S5? I just purchased it 2 days ago the pro version.  

Yes, that's the reference we use. Pro version was a good move as it unlocks all the features so you won't be too confused if the help files are discussing something that the pro version requires.. Start with the Preview design. Import a picture of your house if that helps you create and place each prop (light string or strings). You really need to just start trying it. PJD really gave you a much more detailed answer than I did, so go with her response.  And don't be afraid to ask here, but understand that EVERYBODY is busy this time of year and it may take a little while for answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Yes, that's the reference we use. Pro version was a good move as it unlocks all the features so you won't be too confused if the help files are discussing something that the pro version requires.. Start with the Preview design. Import a picture of your house if that helps you create and place each prop (light string or strings). You really need to just start trying it. PJD really gave you a much more detailed answer than I did, so go with her response.  And don't be afraid to ask here, but understand that EVERYBODY is busy this time of year and it may take a little while for answers.

Hello tlogan,

Ok thanks for the clarification on the S5. Yeah I went straight to the Pro version because I did not want to be restricted later down the line on the software part,  hardware will be my only concern I hope later on. 
 

ok I will start on the preview, but one question, when I open up the sequence it ask me for musical or  animation sequence, I would pick musical right? And then fill up the tabs how many channels I am using. Is that correct? And then I can click on the preview part and work on that. Are these the correct steps?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THANK YOU ALL, for jumping in and helping me with getting started on LOR. I really really know everyone is busy specially at this time of the year. This is the time to bring out the LOR creations to life and also just busy with everyday life. And here I am bugging everyone on how to get started. 
Thank you all again, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Jessie said:

Hello PJD,

I have the CTB16PC-ReadyToGO 16 channel controller for now and in the package bundle just went ahead and got the Pro version software, learning to crawl before I walk but looks like I am doing some crying along the way. I just want to learn the basics of the basic in the software. I am not doing any pixel lights just you basic lights. When I downloaded the software That’s when the confusion started to set in. There was so many that was loaded, but from all the reading and youtube video’s it seems like Sequence editor is the software I need to start with. Right?

But in the sequence editor there is also the preview part, where you take a picture of your house and draw the lights and things. Do I do that part first or the part of the software where I put the fades and shimmer in the song grid. 
hope you know what I mean. I am confused for now

Hi Jessie - Yes, you will mostly work with the Sequence editor (Refered to as SE from now on).  Think of most of the other programs that were loaded as being Utilities that you only use when needed.

Once you have your controller, you will need to use the "Control Panel" (CP) to be able to control lights.  When CP is loaded, there will be an icon down in the task bar area of Windows (lower right corner) that looks like a lightbulb.  If you right-click on the lightbulb icon, it will give you shortcuts to everything you need to run LOR.  You just keep CP loaded in the background - I usually just have it minimized on my screen unless I am running a show when it gives some information about what is happening.

You definitely want to do the Preview first where you draw the lights and things.  The picture below is the Preview tab (far right edge of the SE).  This shows a list of the Previews you have created.  To start with there should be just a blank preview called Default.  You can create as many as you want.  The icons across the top let you work with the Previews in your list.  The + sign creates a new blank preview. The pencil edits whichever preview is highlighted in the list, the X deletes a preview, the 2 pages with an arrow to the right copies a preview to a new name and the one with the arrow to the left lets you Import/Export previews.

E409bFV.png

How you setup your Preview is very much up to you.  Some people use the picture of their house. Some people just put the props in their without a picture in a layout that makes sense to them.  I initially tried using a picture to base my preview, but my yard is very wide (3 city lots) and that made for a long, panorama type photo which didn't work well.  My preview is now setup as 4 "squares" where each is a different view of my yard (Front of house, garage, back part of east side and front part of east side) I photoshopped a picture using 3 views and one blank/black area.  I've included a picture just so you can see that a Preview can be laid out however you want it to be.  For example, in the upper left corner I have a gazebo with way too many pixels - in order to include all the pixels in the preview including the ones wrapped around to the back side, I "unwrapped" them and showed it as a straight row.  That is fine for getting a feel for what a sequence will look like and it doesn't matter that it isn't really modeling reality.

jCeJSBc.png

EDIT: One more thing - You don't necessarily have to make it look even close to reality.  My gazebo has 7 wreaths with traditional lights plugged into a single output on the controller.  I only represent it with 1 wreath as I don't really need to see all 7.  Obviously, this only works when all the items are on the same controller output.  It wouldn't even have to look like a wreath - that just makes it easier for me remember what it is.  It could be a single traditional bulb if I wanted - as long as it has the controller information (This happens to be Controller 12 - Channel 1) - the software doesn't actually care if it is 1 wreath, 7 wreaths or something totally different - it will just send information to that controller/channel when a sequence is run.

 

Edited by PJD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably overloading you with info, but I just came across the Audacity info to help you with the music/media files.  This is a common issue that trips people up, so it just seems good to make sure you know about it from the beginning.  Most music MP3 files come as "variable bitrate".  This is usually fine for normal use, but it is a mess when you try sequencing with it - your sequence and song will seem OK, but then when you run it you'll find it getting out of sync.  You then go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with your sequence (yes, I did this!)  To avoid this, most of us use a free program called Audacity.  This PDF from LOR gives you the basic information you need:  http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Audacity_Lame_128KbpsRevA.pdf

A couple quick caveats - this is slightly out of date.  There is a section on downloading and installing the LAME extension.  That is no longer necessary.  That was originally based on a copyright issue with MP3, but it is now out of copyright and Audacity built it into the main program now.  Also, they tell you that the song "Quality" must be at 128kbps.  I haven't found that to be necessary.  You probably want it at least at 128kbps so it sounds OK, but a higher quality doesn't seem to hurt anything.  The most important part is selecting "Constant" for the Bit Rate Mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PJD - DANG! That 4 picture idea is GENIUS! I  live on a corner so I have a side, front and far side that I just didn't think a picture would help any. I have a really good idea of the lights anyway and didn't really need it, but this is a GREAT idea. I'll add that to my sequencing for next year. You know, next year,  when I clean everything up that this year I said "it works, so I'm not messing with it!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PJD said:

 

Hi Jessie - Yes, you will mostly work with the Sequence editor (Refered to as SE from now on).  Think of most of the other programs that were loaded as being Utilities that you only use when needed.

Once you have your controller, you will need to use the "Control Panel" (CP) to be able to control lights.  When CP is loaded, there will be an icon down in the task bar area of Windows (lower right corner) that looks like a lightbulb.  If you right-click on the lightbulb icon, it will give you shortcuts to everything you need to run LOR.  You just keep CP loaded in the background - I usually just have it minimized on my screen unless I am running a show when it gives some information about what is happening.

You definitely want to do the Preview first where you draw the lights and things.  The picture below is the Preview tab (far right edge of the SE).  This shows a list of the Previews you have created.  To start with there should be just a blank preview called Default.  You can create as many as you want.  The icons across the top let you work with the Previews in your list.  The + sign creates a new blank preview. The pencil edits whichever preview is highlighted in the list, the X deletes a preview, the 2 pages with an arrow to the right copies a preview to a new name and the one with the arrow to the left lets you Import/Export previews.

E409bFV.png

How you setup your Preview is very much up to you.  Some people use the picture of their house. Some people just put the props in their without a picture in a layout that makes sense to them.  I initially tried using a picture to base my preview, but my yard is very wide (3 city lots) and that made for a long, panorama type photo which didn't work well.  My preview is now setup as 4 "squares" where each is a different view of my yard (Front of house, garage, back part of east side and front part of east side) I photoshopped a picture using 3 views and one blank/black area.  I've included a picture just so you can see that a Preview can be laid out however you want it to be.  For example, in the upper left corner I have a gazebo with way too many pixels - in order to include all the pixels in the preview including the ones wrapped around to the back side, I "unwrapped" them and showed it as a straight row.  That is fine for getting a feel for what a sequence will look like and it doesn't matter that it isn't really modeling reality.

jCeJSBc.png

EDIT: One more thing - You don't necessarily have to make it look even close to reality.  My gazebo has 7 wreaths with traditional lights plugged into a single output on the controller.  I only represent it with 1 wreath as I don't really need to see all 7.  Obviously, this only works when all the items are on the same controller output.  It wouldn't even have to look like a wreath - that just makes it easier for me remember what it is.  It could be a single traditional bulb if I wanted - as long as it has the controller information (This happens to be Controller 12 - Channel 1) - the software doesn't actually care if it is 1 wreath, 7 wreaths or something totally different - it will just send information to that controller/channel when a sequence is run.

 

Thanks you PJD for the info, So the CP is another program right? And the SE is another program that has the Preview and where you can sync the lights to the song right? I only been in the SE program messing around. I have not been in that CP program yet, my controller should arrive tomorrow. 
 

I notice in your preview picture your not assigning the channels like 01.01 gazebo is that right?  Do you need to assign the channels as your adding the props? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PJD said:

I'm probably overloading you with info, but I just came across the Audacity info to help you with the music/media files.  This is a common issue that trips people up, so it just seems good to make sure you know about it from the beginning.  Most music MP3 files come as "variable bitrate".  This is usually fine for normal use, but it is a mess when you try sequencing with it - your sequence and song will seem OK, but then when you run it you'll find it getting out of sync.  You then go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with your sequence (yes, I did this!)  To avoid this, most of us use a free program called Audacity.  This PDF from LOR gives you the basic information you need:  http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/Audacity_Lame_128KbpsRevA.pdf

A couple quick caveats - this is slightly out of date.  There is a section on downloading and installing the LAME extension.  That is no longer necessary.  That was originally based on a copyright issue with MP3, but it is now out of copyright and Audacity built it into the main program now.  Also, they tell you that the song "Quality" must be at 128kbps.  I haven't found that to be necessary.  You probably want it at least at 128kbps so it sounds OK, but a higher quality doesn't seem to hurt anything.  The most important part is selecting "Constant" for the Bit Rate Mode.

Thanks for this info, I think I have Audacity already in my pc and familiar with it. Good to know about constant bitrate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Thanks you PJD for the info, So the CP is another program right? And the SE is another program that has the Preview and where you can sync the lights to the song right? I only been in the SE program messing around. I have not been in that CP program yet, my controller should arrive tomorrow. 
 

I notice in your preview picture your not assigning the channels like 01.01 gazebo is that right?  Do you need to assign the channels as your adding the props? 

Yes, the CP is one of the MANY programs that are part of the LOR system.  and Yes, the SE has the Preview built into it and is where you create your lighting sequences.

You can use any naming scheme you want to in the preview (within reason, there may be some limits on length or special characters).  I had already created most of my preview before I saw that some others include the hardware info in their naming scheme.  I can see pros/cons both ways.

When you add a Prop (any item that you connect to a controller) to your Preview, you will have a screen similar to the one below.  This is a traditional light prop.  It is a greenery garland strung with red LED lights.  As you can see on the right side in the "Channels" section is where I tell the program how it is connected.  For now, you will always use the LOR type (Once you start pixels you might get into DMX or something similar, but for now just leave it on LOR).  Since your controller has 16 circuits, the Max Circuit value is 16.  This prop will use 1 Channel, so the next two options really don't matter.  For now, your "Network" column will always be Regular.  Your Unit ID will be 01 (until you add more controllers and then they will number upwards using Hexadecimal - 01, 02, 03 ,...09, 0A, 0B ...0F, 10, 11 ...).  Your start and end circuit are the one that the prop is plugged into.  

Under the Lights section, there isn't much you need to do - make sure you are always on the "Traditional" tab, select the color you want to see in your Preview, for now there isn't any need to mess with the dimming curve. 

The Shape section is where you pick the type of prop you want to show in the Preview.  Since this is a swag that loops along the top of my font porch I selected "Lines connected" for the type.  There are a number of different options.  The # of segments just gives me a set number of points where I can drag the segments around.  The Preview # of lights is just how many show up in the preview - it has nothing to do with how many are really there.  Looking at the different types in the help file might be useful.

As you can see, the Name is just a text field near the top/center of the dialog box.  You can name things however you like.  I just made mine simple enough that I can easily recognize each item.  It's possible that as our display grows, I may need to update with a more consistent naming scheme.  However, editing the name doesn't really impact the sequences you created using the Preview.  They will just update with the new information.

64I6y4a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PJD said:

Yes, the CP is one of the MANY programs that are part of the LOR system.  and Yes, the SE has the Preview built into it and is where you create your lighting sequences.

You can use any naming scheme you want to in the preview (within reason, there may be some limits on length or special characters).  I had already created most of my preview before I saw that some others include the hardware info in their naming scheme.  I can see pros/cons both ways.

When you add a Prop (any item that you connect to a controller) to your Preview, you will have a screen similar to the one below.  This is a traditional light prop.  It is a greenery garland strung with red LED lights.  As you can see on the right side in the "Channels" section is where I tell the program how it is connected.  For now, you will always use the LOR type (Once you start pixels you might get into DMX or something similar, but for now just leave it on LOR).  Since your controller has 16 circuits, the Max Circuit value is 16.  This prop will use 1 Channel, so the next two options really don't matter.  For now, your "Network" column will always be Regular.  Your Unit ID will be 01 (until you add more controllers and then they will number upwards using Hexadecimal - 01, 02, 03 ,...09, 0A, 0B ...0F, 10, 11 ...).  Your start and end circuit are the one that the prop is plugged into.  

Under the Lights section, there isn't much you need to do - make sure you are always on the "Traditional" tab, select the color you want to see in your Preview, for now there isn't any need to mess with the dimming curve. 

The Shape section is where you pick the type of prop you want to show in the Preview.  Since this is a swag that loops along the top of my font porch I selected "Lines connected" for the type.  There are a number of different options.  The # of segments just gives me a set number of points where I can drag the segments around.  The Preview # of lights is just how many show up in the preview - it has nothing to do with how many are really there.  Looking at the different types in the help file might be useful.

As you can see, the Name is just a text field near the top/center of the dialog box.  You can name things however you like.  I just made mine simple enough that I can easily recognize each item.  It's possible that as our display grows, I may need to update with a more consistent naming scheme.  However, editing the name doesn't really impact the sequences you created using the Preview.  They will just update with the new information.

64I6y4a.png

Thanks PJD, for the explanation the pictures help too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 4 up style too, I went 4 wide (its not perfect but close).   The other thing I also did is draw really rough shapes, most are just strings of lights in the right area.  Since a lot were multicolor I didn't worry about them and just made sure the solid colors they needed to be.   You can still see things are kind of rough in this example.   The more screen space you have the better.   If you don't have an extra monitor, plug into your TV and use it to run the preview window while you watch it play in the sequence editor. 

.

 

My pixel tree isn't that large, but it was what I was working on at the time so I made it easier to see.

IMG_1665b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasLights said:

I like the 4 up style too, I went 4 wide (its not perfect but close).   The other thing I also did is draw really rough shapes, most are just strings of lights in the right area.  Since a lot were multicolor I didn't worry about them and just made sure the solid colors they needed to be.   You can still see things are kind of rough in this example.   The more screen space you have the better.   If you don't have an extra monitor, plug into your TV and use it to run the preview window while you watch it play in the sequence editor. 

.

 

My pixel tree isn't that large, but it was what I was working on at the time so I made it easier to see.

IMG_1665b.jpeg

Wow thats a nice setup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jessie said:

Thanks you PJD for the info, So the CP is another program right? And the SE is another program that has the Preview and where you can sync the lights to the song right? I only been in the SE program messing around. I have not been in that CP program yet, my controller should arrive tomorrow. 
 

I notice in your preview picture your not assigning the channels like 01.01 gazebo is that right?  Do you need to assign the channels as your adding the props? 

PJD, just opened up the CP and this is what I see. This is correct? I don’t have any shortcuts like your saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jessie - I'm afraid I wasn't online last night.  In case you haven't worked it out, here are a couple of pictures that might help.

When you first run the LOR Control Panel, you should see this Popup box. (Unless you have ticked the box not to see it in the futures - I don't do that as I like to know that it worked)

mJHFzuc.png

Click OK to clear the box (if you don't, the right-click below won't work)

You will now have the LOR light-bulb running down in the system tray on your task bar and the LOR Comm Listener (has a CL icon in the task bar) will be running.

Md2hAdv.png

Right click on the light-bulb icon to see the LOR menu

mw4ggpv.png

Although the menu seems a little scary, you don't often use more than half of these options.  The ones I've used are:

Sequencer (SE)
Superstar Sequencer (because I added pixels this year)
Hardware Utility (when first setting up the controllers - haven't touched it since)
Network Preferences (again, only during initial setup)
Show Editor (to put a group of sequences together into a show)
Schedule Editor (to setup a schedule for when my show will run)
Enable Schedule (to actually use the schedule that was created)
Show on Demand to run a show without a schedule (used a lot during testing phase).
Disable shows Gracefully - only available when a show is running - will stop the show at the end of the current sequence
Disable shows immediately
Unload Light-O-Rama - Unloads the Control Panel and Comm Listener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PJD said:

Hi Jessie - I'm afraid I wasn't online last night.  In case you haven't worked it out, here are a couple of pictures that might help.

When you first run the LOR Control Panel, you should see this Popup box. (Unless you have ticked the box not to see it in the futures - I don't do that as I like to know that it worked)

mJHFzuc.png

Click OK to clear the box (if you don't, the right-click below won't work)

You will now have the LOR light-bulb running down in the system tray on your task bar and the LOR Comm Listener (has a CL icon in the task bar) will be running.

Md2hAdv.png

Right click on the light-bulb icon to see the LOR menu

mw4ggpv.png

Although the menu seems a little scary, you don't often use more than half of these options.  The ones I've used are:

Sequencer (SE)
Superstar Sequencer (because I added pixels this year)
Hardware Utility (when first setting up the controllers - haven't touched it since)
Network Preferences (again, only during initial setup)
Show Editor (to put a group of sequences together into a show)
Schedule Editor (to setup a schedule for when my show will run)
Enable Schedule (to actually use the schedule that was created)
Show on Demand to run a show without a schedule (used a lot during testing phase).
Disable shows Gracefully - only available when a show is running - will stop the show at the end of the current sequence
Disable shows immediately
Unload Light-O-Rama - Unloads the Control Panel and Comm Listener

Thanks PJD, I will try to look for that in the control panel. 
I played with the software yesterday, followed everything You mentioned made the preview, put it in sequences added music and I got arches to dance around!!!! Yessssssssss. It was all out of beat but yeahhhhh it worked 😁
I did alot of copy and paste copy and paste, but oh well it is a start. Thank you.

My controller should arrive today, i will connect it and see what the CP is all about. I will just connect simple lights to it to see if I can make it do something.

Thanks update you on what happens  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...