Light-O-Rama Forums

The shows have begun...how do you video yours?

Donl1150

Interested in how everyone videos their display?  Particularly interested in the methods used to make sure you get the audio synced with the lights.  Use an FM receiver to record it live with the lights?  VIdeo lights only and then dub the audio to it with a computer program?  Some other method?

I shoot 3 different angles unattended, duration about 90 mins each. Small radio near the camera to identify the songs.

Chop them up and remix the three streams and dub the original sudio back in.

I set up a digital camera or camcorder on a tripod for a smooth/stable recording since that always turns out better than a hand-held recording.  After downloading the recording(s) from the SD card to my computer, I use CyberLink PowerDirector video editing software to splice in the mp3 audio files.  It seems to work better (and is faster/easier to edit) if I record several songs non-stop at the same time, rather than recording individual songs (which I did last year, and took much longer to edit).

The most difficult part is getting the first song synchronized with the lights.  Once the first song is perfectly synchronized, then all I have to do is splice in the rest of the songs in order, and the timing works out perfectly all the way to the end.

On 12/1/2019 at 9:03 PM, PhilMassey said:

I shoot 3 different angles unattended, duration about 90 mins each. Small radio near the camera to identify the songs.

Chop them up and remix the three streams and dub the original sudio back in.

What do you use  to dub the audio back in Phil?  Can Audactiy do that?

I have a Mac, and just use iMovie to add in the sound.  No matter what tool you use, be sure to suppress the audio that is associated with the imported video so as to remove any unwanted items on the recording (like airplanes, wind, coughing, neighbors dog barking , etc).  As noted above, the hardest part is getting the audio to line up exactly with the sequence.