Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie Tree power supply

nader

I bought this pixie tree 2 years ago worked great that year. Last year I was dark no time to setup ,

this year I got it set up and the power supply quit. 110 going in 5volts out nothing.

Black Pixel Tree Kit - 16 strips of 25 pixels I guess back then they was 5 volts because the new one

I got this year is 12 volts.

so how long should a power supply last ??   not even have it up and running yet

Depends on how it is treated. Heat, water, overload (running at 100% for hours) are bad for longevity.

Lousy power can do one in. These supplies do not like flickering mains (bad connection in the line circuit), they need a few seconds between power OFF and power back ON.

I would expect many seasons of proper use.

I am running about 40 power supplies and I always Keep 20% overhead, I haven't had one quit in seven years (knock on wood). Heat is the biggest enemy for power supplies, gotta keep em cool.

just been plug in and not running a show yet. and I live in Cincinnati so temps been a little cold and wet. but no water got in the case.

I think it just wanted to die. its running a pixie 8. showed up yesterday in HU and not today. so did some checking and no output to the pixie.

was hoping to start tonight. replacement should be here this week. I guess I need to add some back up parts for next year. 

7 minutes ago, nader said:

just been plug in and not running a show yet. and I live in Cincinnati so temps been a little cold and wet. but no water got in the case.

I think it just wanted to die. its running a pixie 8. showed up yesterday in HU and not today. so did some checking and no output to the pixie.

was hoping to start tonight. replacement should be here this week. I guess I need to add some back up parts for next year. 

I have enough backup parts that I could run another show. Spare power supplies, controllers and lights are always nice to have on hand to help limit the down time.

I have 1 12V backup and a 5V I never used (I was not sure if I was going to use 5V in any of my props). Pre season sale prices, so not a big hit on the wallet (It was just all that other stuff)

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I have 1 12V backup and a 5V I never used (I was not sure if I was going to use 5V in any of my props). Pre season sale prices, so not a big hit on the wallet (It was just all that other stuff)

I found a great deal on MeanWell 750w PS so I replaced 8 350w PS which are now spares. I swapped out 14 alphapix controllers for Falcons so those are now backups and traded out four CMB24D controllers for pixel controllers, repurposed two CMB24D's so two still sitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I have enough backup parts that I could run another show. Spare power supplies, controllers and lights are always nice to have on hand to help limit the down time.

You and me both.

I wish I could pick up about 10 more of those nice 750's we got a few years ago. The only downside is, they will not fit in any standard size enclosure. 

I purchased 14, am using 4,

JR

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. P said:

I found a great deal on MeanWell 750w PS so I replaced 8 350w PS which are now spares. I swapped out 14 alphapix controllers for Falcons so those are now backups and traded out four CMB24D controllers for pixel controllers, repurposed two CMB24D's so two still sitting.

"Great deal" what an understatement. I think the first order were around $30 each. My second order was a little higher and my third order was refunded due to "no inventory".

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

"Great deal" what an understatement. I think the first order were around $30 each. My second order was a little higher and my third order was refunded due to "no inventory".

JR

I think between you and I we cleaned them out. 😁

Just now, Mr. P said:

I think between you and I we cleaned them out. 😁

Yes, and I really appreciated when you told me about the listing. Never figured out why out of all the people (or yourself) but much appreciated my friend.

You could have easily purchased all of them for profit.

Thankyou again

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, and I really appreciated when you told me about the listing. Never figured out why out of all the people (or yourself) but much appreciated my friend.

You could have easily purchased all of them for profit.

Thankyou again

JR

I think it was your second year and you were very motivated to get things done. Plus I will always help a brother in arms.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked