Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight TV Show 2019

Orville

Ch 9 ABC, will premier the first airing of the show, The Great Christmas Light Fight starting Monday Dec. 2, 2019 at 8pm Eastern Time.

Just though you folks would like to know, for those that enjoy watching this show.

Edited by Orville

Wow, doesn't anyone watch this show any more? 

And no LOR forum folks that do these over-the-top displays in this season of the show?

9 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Saw it once.

That was one time too many.

I haven't seen it in years, so I may be disappointed in how it has evolved.  I'll watch it Monday night and see if it still holds interest for me or not.

I loved it when it first aired years ago, but as with everything, maybe it has evolved into something boring or dis-interesting now.  Like said, I'll watch and see.

I watched the show these past 3 yrs.  But IMO it's hard to appreciate everyone's full setup because the camera usually only shows several smaller portions of the setup and switches too quickly from one part to the next, and you don't get a chance to see/appreciate everything.  And I never thought I'd say this, but after seeing some of the displays, I guess it's actually possible to have "too many lights" in a Christmas display. 

I might watch the 1st show on Monday.  But if I'm not feeling like I'm into it, I probably won't bother watching the remaining shows.

• Like 1

I've watched it, but don't really like the direction that the show has taken.  Everything seems to be about the tear jerk story, and not about the lights.  Competing different styles of show against one another (static, vs amusement park, vs animated, vs synchronized) makes no fair comparison.

• Like 2

I never thought there was any rhyme or reason as to who won each episode.  I remember there was a detailed post a couple of years ago from someone who's display was on the show.  Given everything they went thru plus how fake 'reality' tv has gotten, I don't know if I'll bother to watch or not. 

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I've watched it, but don't really like the direction that the show has taken.  Everything seems to be about the tear jerk story, and not about the lights.  Competing different styles of show against one another (static, vs amusement park, vs animated, vs synchronized) makes no fair comparison.

I haven't seen it in years, 5 years with no power in the house, I missed all that.  But if that's what they're doing, that definitely IS NOT a fair comparison.  And when I watch it tomorrow, I'll know if I want to watch any further episodes from there.

5 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

I never thought there was any rhyme or reason as to who won each episode.  I remember there was a detailed post a couple of years ago from someone who's display was on the show.  Given everything they went thru plus how fake 'reality' tv has gotten, I don't know if I'll bother to watch or not. 

I can sure agree with you on the "FAKE" reality show motif from how that's changed since I've been watching a few of those off and on lately, and I have to say, I'm NOT impressed by how they have evolved into what they are now!

8 hours ago, Speedster said:

I watched the show these past 3 yrs.  But IMO it's hard to appreciate everyone's full setup because the camera usually only shows several smaller portions of the setup and switches too quickly from one part to the next, and you don't get a chance to see/appreciate everything.  And I never thought I'd say this, but after seeing some of the displays, I guess it's actually possible to have "too many lights" in a Christmas display. 

I might watch the 1st show on Monday.  But if I'm not feeling like I'm into it, I probably won't bother watching the remaining shows.

That's about my feeling on the show as well.  I will watch it, and if it's not up to par, will probably be my first, and last time watching it this season too.

I still like the show but k6ccc sums it up by... (Competing different styles of show against one another (static, vs amusement park, vs animated, vs synchronized) makes no fair comparison. ) Also since we know how much time some houses take and do not win cause someone put random 1million lights up makes me cringe. Still I like to see some of the ideas that these fanatic put up.

16 hours ago, Euro92 said:

I still like the show but k6ccc sums it up by... (Competing different styles of show against one another (static, vs amusement park, vs animated, vs synchronized) makes no fair comparison. ) Also since we know how much time some houses take and do not win cause someone put random 1million lights up makes me cringe. Still I like to see some of the ideas that these fanatic put up.

I agree, the first house on the 1st show was awesome, all RGB animated to music, then the next how they compare it to is more or less a static display.  Too me, there is NO comparison or even relativity there at all.

I like the show, but I use an antenna to receive and I must say I hate digital signals for TV, the show was less enjoyable because every few minutes, the TV pixelated, audio dropped out and lost much of what was being said or the screen would just freeze up, then pixelate, no audio, then start at some point way past where the issue occurred.   When I used an ANALOG antenna and the older TV sets that were ANALOG, not once did I ever encounter such issues.  As far as I'm concerned this was another of Obama's BLUNDERS forcing this on us.  In my opinion DIGITAL just DOES NOT WORK for TV, especially on over-the-air signals.  Give me an old Analog TV and signal any day!  BTW: this happens quite often on the CLOSEST channels to me, others do it, but not quite as bad as Ch. 9.1 does!

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I like the show, but I use an antenna to receive and I must say I hate digital signals for TV, the show was less enjoyable because every few minutes, the TV pixelated, audio dropped out and lost much of what was being said or the screen would just freeze up, then pixelate, no audio, then start at some point way past where the issue occurred.   When I used an ANALOG antenna and the older TV sets that were ANALOG, not once did I ever encounter such issues.  As far as I'm concerned this was another of Obama's BLUNDERS forcing this on us.  In my opinion DIGITAL just DOES NOT WORK for TV, especially on over-the-air signals.  Give me an old Analog TV and signal any day!  BTW: this happens quite often on the CLOSEST channels to me, others do it, but not quite as bad as Ch. 9.1 does!

Do you have an outdoor antenna? My in-laws in Wisconsin (well north of Green Bay) were having the same problem when the changeover occurred. My wife and I decided to pay for a new antenna. it turned out the Antenna was fine, there a break in the cable from the roof, and some of the connections corroded. They ran a new line and everything has been FAR better. If you have an outside antenna, it's worth checking. And you should be getting a better picture as the over the air signals are not compressed the way cable companies do. We pay for cable and get a compressed signal. Although lately it doesn't seem quite as bad as it has been. My guess is they are feeling the effect of cord-cutters and need to compete on quality.

Overall, I feel the same about the show. There is NO WAY I could compete, I simply don't have the yard. I think it would a good idea to create "tiers" of sizes and types of displays. And I'd like to see more about the setup and what really went in to setting it up. But most of the home improvement type shows have gotten away from that and only want to show you the finished product.

And don't get me started on what America's Got Talent has become.

• Like 2

I watch it because you will see displays that you normally won't see on the Facebook groups or on here.  Also through this forum and the Facebook groups I have seen small clips and pictures of there displays and on the show you can get a view of the whole house.  Lastly I have pickup up several ideas on who to make or mount a prop I wanted to do but couldn't figure out how.  

Tear jerk story, or heavy Disney in the display win every time.   Any of these "reality" shows has me turned off, anymore.  They are all fake.  Nothing real about a single one.

6 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Tear jerk story, or heavy Disney in the display win every time.   Any of these "reality" shows has me turned off, anymore.  They are all fake.  Nothing real about a single one.

Right, they are serving the general TV audience. I'll watcch it on demand (missed it) just because I want to see if I can find something I want to add to my display. Couldn't care less who they pick to win to make the show more engaging.

Boring--Lordy--let's buy nine truck loads of lites throw them every where.  The static ones had no flow ,it was just lites every where , not much programed to  Holiday music.   What does Micky Mouse have to do with Christmas ,just a question.   Where do they get all those people to stand in the street?   I have watched on and off but havent yet seen one display that makes me go WOW.   The tear jerk thing is true , before long some one will say Granddmaw didn't get run over by a reindeer she ran off with him and left Grandpaw asleep in his strato lounger, and she took the fruit cake recepie -DAMN

• Haha 1

I recorded the first nlghts show and fast forwarded thru really fast after doing Lights for 13 years I don't really think it's what's most of us on this forum do maybe wrong but I won't watch anymore .

I watched a bit - like us all, they put a lot of effort into their shows although mass quantities does always seem to be a bit over the top even for me.   As noted above, it has some good ideas periodically and I do remember when I saw my first pixel tree....