Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie4 First pixel blinks randomly when computer is off

toddm1919

On 12/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, k6ccc said:

The number varies depending on how involved the channel commands are.  500K enhanced should be somewhere around 1200 pixels or 3600 channels.

Thanks.  I count 2747 channels (programmed in my sequences) on the network.  I am running at 500k enhanced, so I should be OK on that.

I separated the line cords and network cable as much as possible and plugged in a 120 resistor on the last controller in that network to terminate it.

Unfortunately, I still still have one of the CMB-24D firing all its channels white when it is not supposed to.

Any other suggestions on what to try next?  Could it be the RS-485-HS?

Are the errors happening randomly or are they repeatable for any given sequence?  What I mean is that for example, if every time the Jingle Bells sequence plays, if at 1:38 some particular prop does not do what you expect - the problem is in the sequence.  Particularly with RGB LEDs, even a 1% level is visible on the lights, but NOT on Visualizer, nor on the sequencing grid.  That makes it far easier to have an oops in the sequencing and not realize it.  120V AC incan strings are generally not visible at 1%, and most 120V AC LED strings also will not light up at all at something less than around 10% (yes that figure varies).  I have heard about problems where someone replaced incan strings with LED strings or RGB pixles and all of a sudden discovered multiple oops segments that simply were not visible with the incans.

Thanks for the reply Jim.  Unfortunately the errors are random so it is not in the sequencing.  The only thing that is somewhat constant, is that it seems to happen in slower sequences where I ramp my incandescent bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 9:10 PM, TheDucks said:

120 ohm resistor on the blue pair (4-5) in that last empty jack.   (use an old CAT5 cable with 1 broken plug )

Do you mean cut off one end of the old cat 5 to terminate?

Two ways to build one.  The way I do it is to crimp a RJ-45 plug with a 1/8 watt 120 ohm resistor across pins 4 & 5.  I also have about a one to two inch stub of a cat-5 cable with the other six wires crimped in as well so you have something better to grab.  The second way is to take an existing cable (this is where you would use an old cable with one damaged end), split out the wires for pins 4 & 5 (normally the white blue pair), and solder a 120 ohm resistor to the wire ends.

20 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Do you mean cut off one end of the old cat 5 to terminate?

You can purchase them as well. Amazon, ebay

I have none in my pretty big show, never had a problem.

JR

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You can purchase them as well. Amazon, ebay

I have none in my pretty big show, never had a problem.

JR

I did have some weird coloring in the last CCBx2 box. I added and it went away. Go figure.

• The topic was locked