Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID confusion

bbig

I'm trying to figure out what unit IDs should be assigned to my controllers.  I've read through the "Pixie16 Setup and Configuration step by step" and it seems to contradict what others are saying on here.  I even saw one poster imply that all unit IDs should be less than 15.

Here is my question: I have a pixie2, two pixie16s, and two pixie8s.  The pixie2 is unit ID 01.  Based on the configuration write up, if the pixie2 is on 01, it would also assign UI 02. Correct?  Then I have a pixie16 which is set to UI 03 and it would take the following 15 UIs up to 12, correct?  

I'm using v4.4.4. My max Unit ID is set to 75. All dip switches are off and I was trying to assign the UIs based on what I mentioned above.  The UIs for the other controllers are 13, 23, 2B.  Is this correct?  Should I do a reset and let the system set the UIs automatically?  If so, how do you reset the controllers?  As I mentioned in my other post, every time I do a refresh in the HU, I get different results.  Anybody run into this?

There is no Automatic.  There is Inherited/derived from the  BASE ID that  YOU set. (via the DIP switches or HU) on EACH controller.

Pixies (and Pixcon) are the ones that consume multiple ID's. Those are per/port

Dumb devices like the CMB24, CTB16 only use 1 ID,

Thanks for the help.  This is exactly the opposite of what dibblejr said in the pinned Pixie16 setup post.  In that step by step it says to set all dip switches to zero other than the first one.  I appreciate you responding on Thanksgiving.  

On the newer Pixie controllers you can set the Unit ID either by setting the DIP switches to 0 and using the Hardware Utility OR by setting the IDs with the DIP switches.  Either one works.  With the original Pixie controllers, there were no DIP switches to set the base Unit ID, so you MUST set the ID using the Hardware Utility.  JR normally recommends using the Hardware method - I assume because that method always works.

Suggestion.  Since you have a Pro level license, you can use any valid ID, there is no need to stack IDs tightly.  You can lay out the IDs in a manner that A ) makes sense, and B ) allows for future expansion.  I would recommend against starting a Pixie controller at some odd Unit ID.  For example, start at 20.  That way the IDs for that Pixie will be 20 through 2F.  Makes it easier to keep track of than for example IDs 27 through 36.  My other recommendation is to plan on using different number blocks for each network (if you are using multiple LOR networks).  In my case, I have reserved IDs 01 - 1F for my Regular network, 10 - 1F for Aux A network, and 20 - 2F for my Aux B network.  None of those are fully used, but that is the blocks.  Although in reality you CAN duplicate Unit IDs on different networks (for example Unit ID 01 on the Regular Network and Unit ID 01 on the Aux A network are separate IDs), but I HIGHLY recommend against it as it can be confusing for us human beings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bbig said:

Thanks for the help.  This is exactly the opposite of what dibblejr said in the pinned Pixie16 setup post.  In that step by step it says to set all dip switches to zero other than the first one.  I appreciate you responding on Thanksgiving.  

Jim clarified.

When I said to use switches. I meant SET THE ID in the switches. 0 is not a valid ID, but a flag that HU is to be allowed (if the switches are non-zero, the next power up, it will again, use the switches setting and forget the HU setting.

Triple recommend logical Blocks of ID's for Pixies

1 hour ago, bbig said:

Actually my writeup says “from the factory it comes with 1 dip switch on, turn that dip switch off”. Period- use HU to set the unit ID. It’s pretty clear. 

“3) The newer pixie controllers will have 8 dip switches. Please familiarize yourself with the location of the switches. From the factory one dip switch will be in the "on" position. This dip switch in the "On" position will not allow the user to set a Unit ID other than 1”  

and

3) If you are using the pixie controller as any unit ID other than Unit ID # 1 please turn off the dip switch that is currently on. All dip switches should be in the "off" position. If using as #1 you do have the option of leaving it on or turning it off thuenabling you to change the unit ID without forgetting this step later on when you add additional controllers.”

To summarize- pixie16’s have dip switches. Factory set to unit #1. If you are going to use the pixie16 as unit #1 you have the “option” of leaving the dip switch alone. However anything other you will have to turn all dip switches off to use HU to assign the unit ID or set the Unit ID via dip switches , which I do not recommend.

The factory dip switch on makes the controller Unit ID #1. Unless you turn that dip switch off no matter what you do in HU the second you shut HU down that unit will be Unit 1.

For that and for the folks like me that have controllers in attics, roofs, eves ext. it would be a major pita to leave that dip switch on just to find out you have to climb to wherever it is to change unit IDs or turn off the dip switch.

Turning it off in the first place makes it idiot proof.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Ok, so if the pixie2 has 1 controller and 1 unit I'd, how does it know which port to trigger in a sequence? I have 2 pixie2s.  Unit I'd is 14.  When I set it up in sequence editor, how do I assign the 2 corresponding ribbons?

A Pixie 2 will have two Unit IDs.  The first ID is the one you assign to that Pixie 2.  The second Unit ID will be the next number (remember that it counts in hex) - 15 in your case.  Output 1 on the Pixie 2 will use the assigned Unit ID, and output 2 of the Pixie 2 will use the next number.  You said that you have two Pixie 2 controllers.  Under normal conditions, they should each have unique Unit IDs.  So in your case, if the first one is Unit 14 & 15, they you could use 16 & 17 for the second Pixie 2.

The same concept applies to the larger Pixie controllers.  The Pixie 4 uses four Unit IDs, the Pixie 8 uses eight Unit IDs and the Pixie 16 uses 16 Unit IDs.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  When I hook Pixie2 to my computer and assign the I'd, it only finds unit 14.  I assume, since there is only 1 controller, that it will automatically assign port 2 !?

K6ccc is correct.

I just use a different wording

You assign the Base ID, the device inherits this and inherits the next n-1 ID's (n being the number part of the model)

2 things to remember: 1) ID's are Hexidecimal . (0-F)  2) ID may be set by switches or software (HU) IF the switches allow

10 minutes ago, Randall Huber said:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  When I hook Pixie2 to my computer and assign the I'd, it only finds unit 14.  I assume, since there is only 1 controller, that it will automatically assign port 2 !?

Yes: HU only reports the BASE ADDRESS.  The slightly confusing part is HU uses PORT# for the test settings.  OTOH Sequence editor uses the ports ID,  which starts at the  base for port 1, and you add 1 for the next port in the line.  (it would have been so easy to describe if they had numbered ports base0 style )

Edited by TheDucks

18 minutes ago, Randall Huber said:

Thanks guys.  It was a little confusing and I'm glad you all cleared it up.

Just noticed:

Does LOR 3.5 even handle Pixie2's?

1 minute ago, Randall Huber said:

Not sure, I have 4. something or other.

You might want to update your profile. it says 3.5.0  It helps us (someone more familiar, when applies) to answer with the best.

The titlebar of most LOR tools has the version.  If it is not in the High 4's, you might want to hop over to the LOR download page and insert (replaces) the latest: LOR_DeviceFile.TXT

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

You might want to update your profile. it says 3.5.0  It helps us (someone more familiar, when applies) to answer with the best.

The titlebar of most LOR tools has the version.  If it is not in the High 4's, you might want to hop over to the LOR download page and insert (replaces) the latest: LOR_DeviceFile.TXT

1 hour ago, Randall Huber said:

Not sure, I have 4. something or other.

For the Pixie16 you need at least 4.4.18 in S4 and in S5 you need at least 5.14 (someone else can verify the S5 requirement) but there is a version requirement for both S4 and S5.

JR

• The topic was locked