Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor creating huge .play files!

steveV967

So in 5.2.2 I had a LOREDIT file of 99MB. Creating the .play file made it 4.5MB

Now in 5.3.10 I'm adding the same file to my show and the system is creating the .play file on the fly, but it's creating it at 154MB!

Does anyone know a fix to this?

Can I uninstall 5.3.10 and use 5.2.2 and open items I created in 5.3.10?

You should be able to open a 5.3.x loredit file in 5.2.4, manually create the playback file and play it. I am running all my 50 odd sequences that way. 

One caveat that I know of, motion gif effects won't open in 5.2.4

Thanks Phil. Sorry for the confusion on the other threads. I was looking for similar issues and thought I'd ask the same question to those individuals, then I decided to just start my own thread. I should have just done that first.

Well I've tried a bunch of things for the past few hours and nothing is working in 5.3.10 the way it should creating the play files. 

You mentioned 5.2.4 but I was asking about 5.2.2 since I still have a copy. Will 5.2.2 work? I don't use the motion GIF effects, so I should be OK.

Well I just went back to 5.2.2

Loaded the LOREDIT that was over 233mb saved as a playback file and the playback file was 4.5MB.

What the hell did they do in 5.3.10?? Wow that was 3 hours of pain I didn't need to go through two days before my display went live.

Again, sorry for the confusion, it was out of sheer frustration.

All the versions are available on the download page.

I guess 5.2.2 would work but I know 5.2.4 does.

Uninstall 5.3.

Delete the LOR folder in  programfiles x86.

Reinstall 5.2.4

Open each loredit file and manually create the play.lms files. 

Turn on compressed sequences. They will get created first pass through the show, minimal delay.

You think you're frustrated. 

I discovered this after extensive testing in July. Still no word or even acknowledgement from lor.

Wow! Since July?!!

One of the reasons I paid for LOR years ago was their support. now I’m concerned by their lack of response. I thought about jumping on the Xlights bandwagon but I’d read things about their constant upgrades having issues. if LOR is going in that same direction but XLights has better response to issues like this, then I may rethink things.

I think the best thing to do is what I did last year going from 4.2 to 5.2. Get my new show setup on the older system and start the year with that. then setup a new pc with the new version and update. then just switch PCs to run the show. Any issues you can just go back to the original PC.

I never thought a non major update would screw it up so bad so that was why I went from 2.2 to 3.10.

Live and learn.

Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving and hope your show this year goes well.

Edited by steveV967

I'm curious of something - based on my not creating any show files in 5.3.x.  In earlier versions of S5, there is the play.lms file we're all familiar and a .lid file.  At least in my case, the play.lms files is very small, but the play.lms.pe.lid file is much larger as seen here:

S5.3.10_File_size_comparison.png

With 5.3.x, is the data that was in the .lid file now included as part of the play.lms - and therefore much larger, or is there still the separate .lid file?

51 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

With 5.3.x, is the data that was in the .lid file now included as part of the play.lms - and therefore much larger, or is there still the separate .lid file?

With 5.3 you get the full set

Play.lms, lid and lcs. All created in the dreaded lorinternal folder.

I have no definite evidence for this statement, but "traditional " sequencing effects may make for larger files.

I have made a few whole house motion effects, for static overnight use, which I would think would be complex, but which generate really tiny files.

There is just one row of data, vs thousands for my normal sequences.

It is slowly becoming video editing, which I personally, think is a loss. Let's all throw a matrix over the house and show a video.

23 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

With 5.3 you get the full set

Play.lms, lid and lcs. All created in the dreaded lorinternal folder.

So much for that thought....

Jim

26 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

It is slowly becoming video editing, which I personally, think is a loss. Let's all throw a matrix over the house and show a video.

Couldn't agree more. Just mount some 50" LCD TVs on the front of the house and be done with it.

Jim

It really doesn't make much sense. You take a version that makes the user manually create a .play.lms file that shrinks a loredit file down from over 200mb to under 5 and change that version so when the show plays it does it automatically (and as Phil said puts it in the dreaded lorInternal folder). Sounds great and fixes a lot of support issues because people would miss that step. But, how they botched it sooooo badly is beyond me, and to hear that issues found back in July haven't been addressed is troubling to say the least.