Light-O-Rama Forums

Will switching to S2 cause problems with S1 sequences?

billc

Edit by Admin: Topic has changed as the original problem was understood as "empty" MP3 files but now the question is should Bill upgrade to S2.

I have been busy getting ready for Halloween and figured I better start refreshing my memory by bringing up old sequences I made last year. Problem. I don't understand why when I go to play them some will play and some will not.

I haven't done anything with the files since last year when they were working. Some of the .lms files run and some don't.

Any idea what's up?

Bill

What version of LOR are you using. I think (and could be wrong) there was a version of S-2 that expired earlier this year. perhaps that is what it is.

Otherwise, check the path to your audio files and make sure they are correct.

good luck.

Dale W wrote:

Otherwise, check the path to your audio files and make sure they are correct.

That was my first thought. If the audio files were moved somehow, the files won't play...

You can use "Select Audio File..." (or something like that, I don't have the software in front of me) under the Edit menu and navigate to where your audio file is located just to be sure...

-Tim

I am using version 1.6.3. I did some initial checking this am and somehow the audio file is there but the file size is 0 kb. That's strange because it was part of my show last year. The only thing I can think of is that my kids got me an Ipod for Christmas last year and I must have zapped some of those files during a transfer????

Last year was my first year with LOR. Is the 1.6.3 the version I should be using?

Thanks for your help! As many on these forums have said before the strength of the LOR product is not only the product itself but the support functions it provides professionally as well as the great people on these forums. Thanks again!

I'm a believer if it ain't broke don't fix it especially in software upgrades. Will the upgrade create any problems with all the existing sequence I have?

Sorry the topic changed. I will try to change the topic header.

billc wrote:

I'm a believer if it ain't broke don't fix it especially in software upgrades. Will the upgrade create any problems with all the existing sequence I have?

There is one issue with 1.6.3 that I consider serious enough to warn about. Sometimes with 1.6.3 a song/sequence does not end. This can cause a show to hang waiting forever on a sequence. This can be fixed by shorting the sequence's total time by second.

Other than this bug (which has an easy workaround), if you have 1.6.3 and have your sequences ready for this year then there is no real reason to upgrade to S2. If you are going to develop new sequences than I would upgrade.

As far as issues moving to S2, there is one issue that occasionally occurs. A sequence's timing can be skewed a little. There is a command in S2 that allows you to Skew the timing to get things back in sync.

billc wrote:

S2 is something like lightyears better than LOR 1.x If you still have sequencing to do, it's well worth your while to upgrade.

As an aside, it was no doubt iTunes that moved your files. It has an option (which I think is the default) to physically move all MP3's it finds when searching your system into its own library structure.

-Tim

I had that problem last year with the songs not ending but that was it. I do plan on creating additional sequences this year so I guess I will go ahead and bite the bullet. Is there anything special that needs to be done other than click the upgrade link?

BTW - Tim, we lived in Plymouth a while ago. Great area and plenty of time to enjoy the winter in MN. ;)