Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! music won't play

The Entertainer

Hey gang, I'm having some issues here.  I just got all my lights hung and connected to my controllers.  I ran my show to make sure everything was good to go, only to notice that my music wasn't playing with the sequences.  where did I go wrong?  The actual sequences seem to be running smooth like they should.  just not music.  any help would be appreciated.

I'm running 5.3.10 Basic Plus

Thanks

Are the music files in the LOR audio folder?

Are you using a FM transmitter or just speakers? Are they plugged into the headphone jack or audio output from the computer?

the music files are indeed in the LOR audio folder.  I am using a FM transmitter that's plugged into the headphone jack.  when I run the sequence through the editor, the music plays just fine through the transmitter, but once I run the show, nothing.  I also let the show run through a few cycles to see if the music would load in later, but that didn't work either

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Did you check the Windows mixer with the show running to make sure the LOR volume slider is not muted.

mixer volume is up to 100%

Specifically the LOR channel slider. Not just the master volume control. Check it's not scrolled out of the mixer window and hidden from view. There are usually 3 or 4 sliders depending on what is running.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Specifically the LOR channel slider. Not just the master volume control. Check it's not scrolled out of the mixer window and hidden from view. There are usually 3 or 4 sliders depending on what is running.

confirmed, it is up....... but still no luck

thanks again in advance for the help!

Edited by The Entertainer

Just to help pinpoint the issue, unplug the transmitter and plug in a pair of known working headphones or speakers. See if you get sound that way. I know you said you got sound when running the sequence editor, but while the show is running, try and narrow it down to an issue with the computer, or an issue with a cable or the transmitter. Also, something to check. Does the transmitter work if you use another application on the computer that would output audio, such as windows media player, etc?

Oliver suggested what I was going to.  Split the circuit in half.  I will add two more suggestions.  If you plug your phone or a walkman / mp3 player into the transmitter, does that work.  Second, if you listen to your FM channel with your transmitter turned OFF, do you hear noise, or maybe a distant station?  That is a good thing.  Then turn your transmitter ON without sending any audio.  Do you now hear a REALLY quiet signal (no audio at all - the noise or distant station went away)?  If that test is yes, it means that the transmitter is at least making a radio signal on the frequency you re expecting it to be.  If that is no, make sure that the transmitter is actually set to the frequency that you are intending to use.  I can assure you that if you intended to be on 89.3 and really set it to 99.3, you are not going to hear it worth a damn!  Don't ask me how I know that...

thanks guys.  the transmitter is not the issue.  I'm able to get audio out of it when using other programs from the computer or other devices.  I'm also able to get audio out of headphones plugged directly into the computer, or the computer speakers them selves, for everything other than the show itself.

I'm really starting to bang my head here.

Hey gang, i may be on to something but won’t know until i get home to test, but tell me your thoughts.   I feel like it has something to do with the file extensions of the show/sequences.  Loredit vs. LMS or LAS.  When i ran verifier, i kept getting errors saying the sequences wouldn’t load (.loredit)...... once i plugged in the .lms files, the verifier ok’d everything.  Of course i won’t know until i get home to run a physical test with everything hooked up.

any thoughts before hand?

thanks

Ok, let me explain the file extension names.

.loredit are the files that the S5 sequencer uses for editing your sequences.  These are not a playably file in the Show Player.  .loredit files are new with S5.

.lms are the files that are what you edit in all versions PRIOR to S5 in Sequence Editor for musical sequences.  These files are playable by the Show Player.

.las are the same as .lms EXCEPT they are for animation sequences.

.lcs files are compressed versions of .lms and .las files.  This is what you "normally" will actually play.

.play.lms and .play.las are the playable files that are created in S5 when either you create play files (prior to 5.3) or automatically on first play starting with 5.3.

BTW, .las, .lms, & .loredit files are human readable, and if you know what you are doing, you can edit them (not recommended for normal people).  .lcs and play.lms files are compressed and not human readable.

None of this has anything to do with the audio.

UPDATE:  I got fed up, down graded to 5.2.4 and all is well just in time to light up the block this weekend!

Thanks for all you help and suggestions though.  hopefully the newest version will be bug free soon and we can use it more reliably 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked