Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting Up ?

Gary N

I am curious to see when everyone starts there show? Usually I start may show the wednesday before turkey day at the request from visitors from out of town that don't make it back for Christmas. This year I am going to start tonight,  11-22,  opening weekend,  (deer season). At least I am not the first one this year, 3 houses have been lit up for over a week now.

We go live Thanksgiving night. I will do a little testing maybe by Monday but that will only be my house for changes and make sure all works. The 12 other houses on our culdesak will do the same and start Thursday night. Every night this week and next someone is turning a new addition on to see how it looks but we all like to turn everything on Thanksgiving.

Edited by Kapkirk
Additional info

There was another thread on this a few days ago, but I will be starting on Black Friday - so just over 167 hours from now as I type this.

I am hoping Thanksgiving Night but at this time it may be late. MT issues and since I cant set up one side of my yard without the tree (don't want to block props and have to move them.

The city says I have until 1 Dec, one way or the other it will be ready by then. 

In the meantime I am continuing to build new props. LOL

JR

Was planning to light up on Thanksgiving night as usual.  But starting around Nov 7 I've seen more and more houses lighting up, and I'm getting antsy and impatient to light up too.  I should be all finished setting up tomorrow afternoon, so I might break tradition and light up on Sunday.

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I am hoping Thanksgiving Night but at this time it may be late. MT issues and since I cant set up one side of my yard without the tree (don't want to block props and have to move them.

The city says I have until 1 Dec, one way or the other it will be ready by then. 

In the meantime I am continuing to build new props. LOL

JR

JR

What does the city have to do with setup? Might be I'm still tired and the answer is in your post, took me 3 readings to figure MT is mega tree lol.

1 hour ago, Kapkirk said:

JR

What does the city have to do with setup? Might be I'm still tired and the answer is in your post, took me 3 readings to figure MT is mega tree lol.

Several years ago I got the city to start the city Tour of Lights back up. The previous managers had dropped the ball on us and I went door to door to speak with those of us who were on a previous list for the city. So I kind of have the "I must set the example" mentality about it.

The "must be on date" is 1 Dec for those who participate. I've always wondered what would happen to me if they are not on by the deadline date. The most they could do id shave off my hair and send me back to boot camp.

I don't know why I do it since they are the same people who took my "slow down, safety turtle" a couple Halloweens ago. Yes, they picked it up after 8 years with their rubbish truck jaws. Then they tried to cover it up with lie after lie even though it is seen on my security camera.

The driver said "it was trash to him". It went up 1 day per year, Halloween to help keep the children safe.

JR

Thanks JR, makes sense now. We got 6 more mega trees up today thanks to the neighborhood extra help, and I think only one more left after her lawn service mows Tuesday so I am hoping to hang my strands on my MT tomorrow and may be a couple little extra's. Hope to be done Tuesday but it will probably still be close.

On 11/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, Gary N said:

I am curious to see when everyone starts there show? Usually I start may show the wednesday before turkey day at the request from visitors from out of town that don't make it back for Christmas. This year I am going to start tonight,  11-22,  opening weekend,  (deer season). At least I am not the first one this year, 3 houses have been lit up for over a week now.

On 11/22/2019 at 11:05 PM, Speedster said:

Was planning to light up on Thanksgiving night as usual.  But starting around Nov 7 I've seen more and more houses lighting up, and I'm getting antsy and impatient to light up too.  I should be all finished setting up tomorrow afternoon, so I might break tradition and light up on Sunday.

Yep, same here in my area, more folks already put up and lit their static displays, so I started running my display last Monday 11/18 and finally finished it up for everything that is operated by controllers Saturday night, so everything is now functional and in operation.

Still have a few static pieces to install, but they aren't crucial and wouldn't be noticeable if they didn't get put up.  Just a few unlit, non-animated flat candy cane decor.

Now the next project is to get the INSIDE of the house set up.  But that's not as important as the exterior was.  So that got the priority.

• The topic was locked