Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB light string stays on...

metallus2000

I have CCB's whereas some lights do not turn off after a sequence is played. they are connected to a Pixie 16 board, with 5v 70 amp power supply.

Are they bad light strings? Is there an issue with the Pixie 16? Seems it only one or two of the same strings.

Each sequence does not have anything active at the end of playing.

I think I've learned that any time something like this happens, the first thing I do is switch the string to a different channel and see if the same thing happens on the new channel, or if it happens to the string  you switched it with. That will tell you if it's the light string (does the same thing on another channel) or the controller or sequence (working string does the same thing on the channel were the "bad" string was).

I try the easy thing first. I learned the above issue was the easy thing the hard way when one of my first of two RGB ribbons was bad. Also, I once spent a full day replacing a garbage disposal that wouldn't turn on. And I can tell you there was  a LOT of cussing when IT didn't turn on. After buying and installing  the disposal, I found out it was the $1.29 wall switch. ANOTHER trip HD and 15 minutes later it fired right up. I wasn't about to put the old one back in to find out for certain. 

21 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I think I've learned that any time something like this happens, the first thing I do is switch the string to a different channel and see if the same thing happens on the new channel, or if it happens to the string  you switched it with. That will tell you if it's the light string (does the same thing on another channel) or the controller or sequence (working string does the same thing on the channel were the "bad" string was).

I try the easy thing first. I learned the above issue was the easy thing the hard way when one of my first of two RGB ribbons was bad. Also, I once spent a full day replacing a garbage disposal that wouldn't turn on. And I can tell you there was  a LOT of cussing when IT didn't turn on. After buying and installing  the disposal, I found out it was the $1.29 wall switch. ANOTHER trip HD and 15 minutes later it fired right up. I wasn't about to put the old one back in to find out for certain. 

Thanks. I'll try that tonight. Hopefully not a blown channel.

• 4 weeks later...

No bad channels or strings. I wrote this in another post:

I have a Pixie 16 running 16 W2801 C-9 bulbs. Some strands get stuck on, even after a particular sequence ends. If I re-cycle power, sometimes they go off, sometimes not.

Also, some sequences reset the ones left on from the previous sequence.

I checked all the hardware bulb settings, everything looks fine. I also checked the sequences, no issues there either.

Is it a speed issue? My setting for speed is currently 8. 

I am currently at S5 version 5.3.12

I am using motion effects, could that be the issue?

Edited by metallus2000

)

4 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

No bad channels or strings. I wrote this in another post:

I have a Pixie 16 running 16 W2801 C-9 bulbs. Some strands get stuck on, even after a particular sequence ends. If I re-cycle power, sometimes they go off, sometimes not.

Also, some sequences reset the ones left on from the previous sequence.

I checked all the hardware bulb settings, everything looks fine. I also checked the sequences, no issues there either.

Is it a speed issue? My setting for speed is currently 8. 

I am currently at S5 version 5.3.12

I am using motion effects, could that be the issue?

I think I asked in the other thread.

Have you taken the culprit port (s)  and removed the green connectors and ensure the wires are in them good and correct? Take the wires out, back the screws out and watch the metal plate. Ensure it goes all the way to the bottom and reinsert and tighten the wires. That is a good starting point.

JR

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

)

I think I asked in the other thread.

Have you taken the culprit port (s)  and removed the green connectors and ensure the wires are in them good and correct? Take the wires out, back the screws out and watch the metal plate. Ensure it goes all the way to the bottom and reinsert and tighten the wires. That is a good starting point.

JR

That does make the most sense. The wires/connectors were a bit funky to install in the first place. I'll report on what I find later today/tomorrow.

Thanks.

Ken

The lights are staying on or off random. I did find two loose connections, which I fixed. But, one of the ones I fixed stayed on after a few sequences.

Def a mystery...

29 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

The lights are staying on or off random. I did find two loose connections, which I fixed. But, one of the ones I fixed stayed on after a few sequences.

Def a mystery...

Have you switched the port connectors to see if you switch a correct working port/ string to the suspect, if the problem follows and the suspect string acts the same on the other port.

While helping 100's of people and the ones that have these problems either have bad connections at the terminals, sequences with over lapping unit ID's or a bad node/ string. 

If switching the bad to a good port by just unplugging the green terminal and plugging it in to a know working port the lights act the same way, this would indicate a problem with the string itself.

If the good working string plugged in to the suspect port and the problem is still there, that would indicate a sequence/ controller problem.

When you say you fixed a couple but "one stayed n after a few mins" that was the very key to your problem and you found bad wiring. There is no telling what bad wiring could do other than create issues with the string.

If I were you I would 

1- Open a brand new sequence

2- Create a test sequence - color fade tool dragged from one end to the other (not a copy/ paste from another sequence) It takes about 30 seconds to create it.

3- play the sequence.

If you watch the video in my pixie16 config thread I show you how I test.

That ensures you have no other sequence of any kind on that unit.

JR

What this came to in the end, was seven bad strands of lights. I purchased the ws2801 clearance 5v bulbs. 

They worked fine for about a week, then stuck lights on. Luckily I have six spares, and they work fine. I disconnected strand 15, as I still need another to replace.

When I switched the bad strand to a working one, it was still bad. Did the reset procedure, checked all wiring, sequence test prior.

Edited by metallus2000
spelling

• The topic was locked