Light-O-Rama Forums

Controllers for Original CCBs and CCPs

Rabeiler

Are the controllers interchangeable for the Original Cosmic Color Bulbs and the Cosmic Color Pixies? Both are 2 sets of 50 RGB nodes. I can't see anything that identifies if the controller is for CCB or CCP.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Rabeiler said:

Are the controllers interchangeable for the Original Cosmic Color Bulbs and the Cosmic Color Pixies? Both are 2 sets of 50 RGB nodes. I can't see anything that identifies if the controller is for CCB or CCP.

Thanks

No, the original are 5v LPD6803 pixels and the newer Pixie's are 12v. WS2811 pixels.

I am not sure that is what OP was asking.

If the end of your pixel string has a connector with 4 pins, it is 5V.  If it has 3 pins, it is 12V.

The original Cosmic Color Pixels were sold as either Bulbs (that are about the size of a C7 bulb) or Bullets (which LOR just referred to as "Pixels").  These were 5V, and used the SAME controller type (WS2801).

You mentioned "Cosmic Color Pixies" which I think was a typo.  I think you meant to say Pixels.

I have both types in my display.  I purchased from LOR the CCB sets and the CCP sets.  When I would open the shipping box, the controllers were wrapped in bubble wrap.  There was a sticker on the bubble wrap indicating "CCP" vs "CCB", yet when I would open the controller the PCB had the exact same silkscreen - nothing to differentiate the two.

So I always treated them as unique units.  I have since come to learn they are in fact interchangeable.

However, they seem to address Bulb strings vs Bullet strings differently.  If you open the Hardware Utility there is a section for Color Correction, along with the check box to  indicate if you are using the Bulb or Bullet.  I don't know if this still exists in recent LOR SW.  Anyway, I made sure my boxes were programmed for the appropriate string.  But to be honest, I couldn't discern any difference in color based on that setting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brian - that was what I was looking for. I have 24 controllers and almost all of them I had labeled as either CCB or CCP when I first got them but in my haste last year after ordering a few more during the one sale I unpacked them and put them away and did not mark them. Fortunately, these 2 are my spares. 

• The topic was locked