Light-O-Rama Forums

Ladder safety

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to remind everyone to be careful out there. I wasn't being as careful as I should Friday 11/8/19 and as I was QUICKLY going up a 12' A frame ladder I felt as though it was buckling or folding under me. I panicked and fell/jumped off from about 6 feet up and ended up landing on my back and fracturing a rib on my right side. Thankfully I had a major portion of our display done when this happened. I still have a lot to do and all last week I barely left the house as just deep breathing was sometimes painful. With some help this weekend I'm hoping to get most remaining things done so I just need to complete the connections. So we all tend to take for granted climbing up and down ladders during our setup and take downs but please be careful out there so you don't end up in the back of an ambulance like I did! :(

Happy Lighting everyone!

Sorry to hear about your ladder mishap.  Glad you weren't seriously injured, it definitely could have been worse.  I fractured 2 or 3 ribs on my left side when I slipped and fell hard on our icy parking lot at work last January, so I know how you feel.  Took me about 3 months to completely heal; hopefully your recovery is much faster.  The worst part for me was having to sleep on my right side for 3 months because I'm normally a left side sleeper lol.

My wife actually fractured one of her ribs from several weeks of coughing violently due to a bad case of bronchitis.  I never knew you could actually break a rib from coughing, but her doctor said it does happen.

I haven't finished setting up our display yet, but thankfully I'm finished with everything that requires me to use a ladder.

Be safe, everyone!

You are lucky. 👍 👍

Be absolutely sure the ladder base is firm and stable .(A stake or safety person is advised). A number of years back I rode an extension ladder down onto the driveway when the legs slid back.

Soft earth with all the rains, will allow that 4 legged beast to tilt without notice. If you are lucky enough to have rain, use spreader 'plates' under the feet of stools and step ladders (same goes for extension ones on dirt)

Sorry to hear about your ladder accident. 

My display is set in such a way I no longer need or use a ladder to put things up.  So I'm staying off ladders from now on.  Never fell off one, but at my age I don't need that.  Already have enough medical issues now, don't need to add in any more at my age!

Thanks Everyone. I'm very thankful that I was blessed by the fall not doing more damage. I'm a big guy and I've been joking with my wife that I guess I'm not a "Bumble" that bounces! LOL

Today is the first day back in the office and I'm doing pretty good with a small pillow behind me. We decided we will look into renting a lift for both setup and take down next year.

Thankfully since my accident I've only had to sneeze and cough once. The sneeze wasn't too bad since I could kind of hold it in but the cough about sent me to tears!

36 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Thankfully since my accident I've only had to sneeze and cough once. The sneeze wasn't too bad since I could kind of hold it in but the cough about sent me to tears!

When I fractured my ribs this past January, I had to take an antihistamine and a cough suppressant to minimize sneezing & coughing.  It was so painful to sneeze during the first 2 weeks.

It might help to put some slight inward pressure on the broken rib if you sneeze or cough.  Basically take the palm of your hand and cover that rib and push inwards lightly.  That's what my wife's doctor told her to do when she coughed, as a way to "splint" her fractured rib and keep it in place.  And if you have to cough or sneeze, the doctor said it also helps to sit upright instead of slouching or leaning forward.

Edited by Speedster

• The topic was locked