Light-O-Rama Forums

Losing comm with the controllers

Denny

Problem I haven't seen before.  Setting up a show for the Fire Dept to use on their truck in the Christmas parade.  Using the uMP3g3 mini director, one CTB16PCg3, and one Pixie 16D.  Software is S4.  The problem I can't seem to figure out is that after about 1 and a half songs, the controllers lose communication with the mini director.  Everything works fine for about 1 1/2 songs, then the controllers drop off.  I checked that the network was configured properly in the Sequence Editor and the Mini director through the hardware utility.  Initially, I had everything set for 500k speed, thinking this was the problem, I reduced everything to the 115k setting.  That had no effect on the problem, I still get through about 1 1/2 songs before I lose communication.  I have tried connecting only the Pixie 16D with and without the CTB16 and always have the same result.  Have not tried running the CTB 16 by itself, but seems like I might try that and see if it drops out by itself too.  This is the first time I have used any generation 3 hardware; in the past, my entire experience has been with the first generation controllers, mini director, and non-LOR pixel controllers.  Is there something different/unique with the third generation that I am overlooking?  Any ideas?

Edit to Add:  The controllers run fine and do not drop off when I set up a show on my desktop and run from the desktop; problem only appears when I use the Mini Director.

Edited by Denny
Added information

What is the power source(s).  Since this is on a vehicle and you have an AC controller, that could be a complex answer.

Not running if off the truck yet, just AC power from the house to test out the pixel sequencing.  I did check about the specific generator with LOR Support and the one installed on the truck should meet the requirements for the AC controller.

I just checked the show with my desktop running it and the controllers have not dropped off line at all.  Wondering now if there is something wrong with the Mini Director or somehow I have misconfigured it.

Just noticed also that the Mini Director Status LED does not come on during the show as stated in the User Manual.  Network speed is set at 115K, but manual states if the network speed is to slow to handle the complexity of the show it will blink off.  Only running 600 pixels across 12 outputs and 16 channels on the CTB16PC.  Hard to believe that this would make the sequence too complex.  (Note, same problem when set up for 500K).

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Can't help you with any director as I have never used one.

This is my first time using one too; have always run by computer. Figured the director would be ideal for the Fire Truck, but may have to rethink this.  I still have a couple licenses left so may use one on a fire dept laptop and put LOR on it.  Don't know if that would be legal though, so guess I should check with LOR first.  Truck will be in three parades over three weeks and would hate to be without my laptop all that time.  Think I have narrowed the problem down to three specific sequences, a lot of fades and commands in those three.  Experimented with one sequence by cutting out a large portion of the sequencing and it ran all the way through without a problem.  Perhaps the Mini Director just can't handle that; will open a support ticket with LOR and see what they say.  Thanks for the effort anyway, Jim.

Don't worry too much about the license.  You are allowed five seats.  I am using all five of mine.  BTW, if you replace a computer, you don't get that seat back.  However not a problem.  If you run out of seats, just open a help ticket with LOR and let them know that you replaced one computer with another, an they will fix it.  I have done that more than a couple times since I started.  I don't know if it's needed, but I always list the computers that I am using LOR on.  Never been an issue.

Pixie controllers normally require an enhanced network and and at least a 500k network. For the enhanced network you will need a Pro license.

• The topic was locked