Light-O-Rama Forums

Mother Nature isn't cooperating

Speedster

No complaints here, we've been in the mid to upper 50's for the past couple weeks.  Just about done with the set up.  I guess my only complaint I have would be the lack of wind to finish blowing the leaves out of the trees.  My next door neighbors' leaves always seem to end up under my mega tree if they don't come down before it goes up.

Here in NE Indiana I got started last weekend with temps in the 40's Then the big chill hit and we got a couple of inches snow. Did not do much during the week. Got up yesterday and wanted to get all of my controllers put out. My yard looked a mess with leaves from the neighbors house. So, with some snow still in spots and wet leaves, I decided to mow the lawn with the mulching mower, ( neighbors probably thought I was crazy ) The lawn actually looked pretty good when I got done. All controllers out and working on house stuff today.

Wayne

• Like 1

The weather finally rose above freezing today, so I only had to tromp through about 7" of mushy snow. So, I started really getting items up on the house today. The only house props left are the two giant candy cane clocks on each side, so straightening and then the wiring. Next weekend is supposed to be even nicer, so hopefully all gets done by then. I didn't put up the canes because we are supposed to get quite the rain soaker on Thursday evening. I'll get the yard props up during the week before the rain, hopefully. Here's where I am at so far.

y4mkU_vF-CBhLDOf2Gn5LhD-5sYeSOmGKAgqpqKC

• Like 1

I actually made a lot of progress this weekend since both days the temps were in the mid-30s and there was little wind and no snow/rain.  The weather this week looks decent too, including next weekend.  I estimate that I still have 10 - 12 hrs of work to do, but as long as the weather forecast is accurate I don't think I'll have a problem finishing my setup by next Sunday. 

We've got a 40-degree day forecast for this Wed, so I'll probably take a half day of vacation that afternoon just to guarantee that I won't have any problems finishing on time.   "On time" for me is having everything set up and working the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  That gives me enough time to test & tweak things before lighting up on Thanksgiving night.  Luckily Thanksgiving is a week later this year than it was last year, otherwise I may not make it in time if Thanksgiving was this Thu.

Looks like it was a productive weekend for many of you too!  Way to go!!!  👍 😀

Edited by Speedster
  • Like 1

A lot of us northern residents seem to have made a lot of progress over the weekend.  I too got a lot of my props out into the yard.  Just need to do the finish wiring, about another full day. Major concern now for me is the mud.  Standing water in low places from the snow melting.  I know I will be reseeding a good part of my yard come spring from all the foot traffic.  With the ground like pudding now, all I will need is a strong north wind to blow everything over.  Bringing back bad memories of a year ago when my display was blown over the Sunday after Thanksgiving. 

Took the afternoon off to finish the fall yard cleanup since it was 42 degrees today.  Not as many leaves to deal with as I thought there would be, so before it got dark I was able to put in another 3.5 hrs into setting up.  I estimate that I have 5 - 6 hrs of setup left to do, so I think I'll actually be finished with everything by this Sat afternoon as long as the favorable weekend forecast holds true.  Then it's just a matter of testing & tweaking.

So despite having only about an hr of setup done a week ago, I've made a lot of progress since then and can finally see the end in sight.

• The topic was locked