Light-O-Rama Forums

G3 mp3 director troubleshootig

GriswoldStyle

So some thing very odd is going on with my new mp3 show director. The other night I put four sequences on a SD card to do a test run everything worked perfectly. tonight I went to add more music to it but it is only playing the audio the lights are not working. I've tried deleting the show, changing SD cards and everything. for the life of me I cannot get it to control the lights but if I take that SD card out and put in another one that had the four sequences on it , it works perfectly fine. The audio is coming out perfectly but it is not controlling the lights from the g3MP3 director.

but like I said it works perfectly if I put the other SD card in there that only had four sequences on it. Am I missing something?

Edited by GriswoldStyle

1 hour ago, GriswoldStyle said:

So some thing very odd is going on with my new mp3 show director. The other night I put four sequences on a SD card to do a test run everything worked perfectly. tonight I went to add more music to it but it is only playing the audio the lights are not working. I've tried deleting the show, changing SD cards and everything. for the life of me I cannot get it to control the lights but if I take that SD card out and put in another one that had the four sequences on it , it works perfectly fine. The audio is coming out perfectly but it is not controlling the lights from the g3MP3 director.

but like I said it works perfectly if I put the other SD card in there that only had four sequences on it. Am I missing something?

Card MFG?

Before adding RGB all of my cards were PNY, always worked. After adding the RGB's only Kingston works.

My director is only used for my remote tune to sign/ matrix.

JR

26 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Card MFG?

Before adding RGB all of my cards were PNY, always worked. After adding the RGB's only Kingston works.

My director is only used for my remote tune to sign/ matrix.

JR

I have tried both Kingston and SanDisk. One SanDisk is working fine with the four sequences for testing but the same exact sd card brand won't work now and I even tried the Kingston that came with the G3 and it's not working either.

The audio plays perfectly but there's no lights AC or RGB. I'm completely baffled and spent 4 hours now adding them to SD card, deleting and trying different SD cards. It doesn't seem to be an SD card issue but I could be wrong. I even tried using old SD cards that have worked in previous shows and still nothing. I see all the stuff on the SD card but for some reason it's only playing the audio. which makes no sense because I haven't changed anything in any of the sequences and even the four test ones that were working perfectly fine I added to a different SD card tonight and they will not work either. Considering this is only the first week of using the G3 I'm a bit confused what the heck is going on

Edited by GriswoldStyle

7 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I have tried both Kingston and SanDisk. One SanDisk is working fine with the four sequences for testing but the same exact sd card brand won't work now and I even tried the Kingston that came with the G3 and it's not working either.

The audio plays perfectly but there's no lights AC or RGB. I'm completely baffled and spent 4 hours now adding them to SD card, deleting and trying different SD cards. It doesn't seem to be an SD card issue but I could be wrong. I even tried using old SD cards that have worked in previous shows and still nothing. I see all the stuff on the SD card but for some reason it's only playing the audio. which makes no sense because I haven't changed anything in any of the sequences and even the four test ones that were working perfectly fine I added to a different SD card tonight and they will not work either. Considering this is only the first week of using the G3 I'm a bit confused what the heck is going on

My very first director was defective. It would play one song great and then garble all the other songs on the card.

Whichever song was in the first to play position it always worked, the rest , all bad.

Opened a HD ticket and within a few days had my replacement and sent the bad one back to LOR.

The replacement is what I am using for my tune to sign.

You May want to open a HD ticket on it.

Sorry about the probs this close to the holiday but you still have time.

Best of luck.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

My very first director was defective. It would play one song great and then garble all the other songs on the card.

Whichever song was in the first to play position it always worked, the rest , all bad.

Opened a HD ticket and within a few days had my replacement and sent the bad one back to LOR.

The replacement is what I am using for my tune to sign.

You May want to open a HD ticket on it.

Sorry about the probs this close to the holiday but you still have time.

Best of luck.

JR

Yes I think I need to look into doing that. Hoping it's an easy fix. I have always ran off the mini director this year went to the G3 director I need to research how to run off the computer just in case something goes wrong. I have a black dongle and a red dongle but honestly have no idea what i need to run a computer-based show  LOL.

8 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Yes I think I need to look into doing that. Hoping it's an easy fix. I have always ran off the mini director this year went to the G3 director I need to research how to run off the computer just in case something goes wrong. I have a black dongle and a red dongle but honestly have no idea what i need to run a computer-based show  LOL.

Computer is very easy - well if you are still on S4.

That was the best change I made.

This year I added Bobs MIIP program. That keeps the audience involved. After setting it up , never missed a beat.

Let me know if you need help with setting up on a computer.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

28 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Computer is very easy - well if you are still on S4.

That was the best change I made.

This year I added Bobs MIIP program. That keeps the audience involved. After setting it up , never missed a beat.

Let me know if you need help with setting up on a computer.

JR

I just put in a trouble ticket. Hopefully they can give some advice. Im not sure what is going on but I have tried everything I could think of. 

What all would I need to run 2 networks from my pc? At one point I bought a red dongle but havent used it. Would I need anything besides that? Sorry to sound n00bish but always ran on a director since the first year in 2015 or 2016 i cant remember. Long day of setting up lol lol Yes, Im still on s4.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

8 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

I just put in a trouble ticket. Hopefully they can give some advice. Im not sure what is going on but I have tried everything I could think of. 

What all would I need to run 2 networks from my pc? At one point I bought a red dongle but havent used it. Would I need anything besides that? Sorry to sound n00bish but always ran on a director since the first year in 2015 or 2016 i cant remember. Long day of setting up lol lol Yes, Im still on s4.

To keep it simple, depending on what controllers and how many you may only need one nw. Two if you want to split. That would require one adapter per network. The red adapter can be used for all while a black one cannot.

The adapter], fm transmitter and cable from your computer to your controllers.

And a phone call if needed.

Really simple process.

JR

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

To keep it simple, depending on what controllers and how many you may only need one nw. Two if you want to split. That would require one adapter per network. The red adapter can be used for all while a black one cannot.

The adapter], fm transmitter and cable from your computer to your controllers.

And a phone call if needed.

Really simple process.

JR

I have 5 ac controllers, 5 cmb24's, and 2 ccb's.

Last year I had lag on one of my songs where everything was about three seconds off but it was only one song. Of course there was a lot of data going on so that might have been an issue.

Either way that's what prompted me to go from the mini director to the G3. I'm going to see what lor help desk ticket says then I will kind of go from there. Hopefully it's an easy fix. If not I'll have to go to The back-up plan 

What network speed were you running last year?

You have 200 channels plus your CCBs.  If that is two strings of 50 CCBs, that's another 300 channels for a total of 500 channels.  That SHOULD run fine on a 115K non-enhanced network, and would be a piece of cake at 500K (provided that your AC controllers are new enough to run at 500K).  If you run at 115K, the black USB adapter would do fine, but if you go to 500K, use the red one.  If you split into two networks, you will have the added effort that you need to change your channel configuration in every sequence, so I don't recommend that this late unless you really need to - which you shouldn't.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

What network speed were you running last year?

You have 200 channels plus your CCBs.  If that is two strings of 50 CCBs, that's another 300 channels for a total of 500 channels.  That SHOULD run fine on a 115K non-enhanced network, and would be a piece of cake at 500K (provided that your AC controllers are new enough to run at 500K).  If you run at 115K, the black USB adapter would do fine, but if you go to 500K, use the red one.  If you split into two networks, you will have the added effort that you need to change your channel configuration in every sequence, so I don't recommend that this late unless you really need to - which you shouldn't.

Last year was 56k. I read more about it this year and decided to change it. Yes I did change the channel configuration for the different network to six A. Had to change all of that last week when I opened up the G3 and read the instructions. good thing I save multiple copies of sequences and just save the channel configuration and imported it to each sequence I had already done then saved it in a different folder.

HoweverI Finally fixed it today after I noticed I screwed up the cables. Lo and behold my dumb self when moving the G3 controller yesterday mixed up the data cables so I had aux A plugged into port one and lor network one was plugged into port two. so apparently I had screwed everything up and didn't even know how I did it but either way I fixed it today and I felt like slapping myself for being so dumb as to mix up the data cables like that. I literally spent four hours yesterday trying to do anything I could to make it work and the last thing I thought of was to switch the data cables around. something told me to try it today and sure enough I fixed my screw up.

I have no idea what I did on the first SD card I made with the four test sequences maybe I had them running backwards because that one worked fine. either way I'm actually standing outside right now running through every sequence just to make sure everything's working fine and so far it is.

I only found one sequence that somebody had given me for Mariah Carey's baby come home for Christmas that the mouth movements are completely off maybe that's just because I'm so used to @dibblejr faces when using someone else's it doesn't work the same LOL

I'm completely confused by the other guy's face movements LOL. I just need to stick with faces from Jr

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Yea, 500 channels on a single 56K network would be a bit slow....

Since you split them, what did you do?  I would assume putting the CCBs on one network and everything else on the other.  That should work far better.  I am gathering that the Unit IDs do not duplicate between networks.  Just so you know, you CAN have a Unit ID 01 on each network, but as a general practice, I recommend against it.  Although the equipment and software don't care at all (for example Regular network Unit ID 01 and AuxA network Unit ID 01 are completely different), it helps to avoid confusion for us human beings.  Personally my Regular network is allocated Unit IDs 01 - 0F, my AuxA network is allocated Unit IDs 10 - 1F, and my AuxB network is allocated Unit IDs 20 - 2F.  None of those are even close to fully used.

BTW, use different color Cat-5 cable for different networks.  Or at least color code mark them.  All my LOR networking uses purple Cat-5 cable, but all the cables have a couple wraps of color marking tape at each end.  Regular network is Brown tape, AuxA network is Red tape, and AuxB network is Orange tape.  Yes, for you electronics techs, you will recognize the order as the beginning of the resistor color code.  My E1.31 network all uses green Cat-5 cable.  Other colors are used for other LANs in my house.

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

BTW, use different color Cat-5 cable for different networks.  Or at least color code mark them.  All my LOR networking uses purple Cat-5 cable, but all the cables have a couple wraps of color marking tape at each end.  Regular network is Brown tape, AuxA network is Red tape, and AuxB network is Orange tape.  Yes, for you electronics techs, you will recognize the order as the beginning of the resistor color code.  My E1.31 network all uses green Cat-5 cable.  Other colors are used for other LANs in my house.

Great idea. Thanks so much :)

Going going to do that tomorrow just so I know in the future and don't have any more screw-ups like this LOL

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yea, 500 channels on a single 56K network would be a bit slow....

Since you split them, what did you do?  I would assume putting the CCBs on one network and everything else on the other.  That should work far better.  I am gathering that the Unit IDs do not duplicate between networks.  Just so you know, you CAN have a Unit ID 01 on each network, but as a general practice, I recommend against it.  Although the equipment and software don't care at all (for example Regular network Unit ID 01 and AuxA network Unit ID 01 are completely different), it helps to avoid confusion for us human beings.  Personally my Regular network is allocated Unit IDs 01 - 0F, my AuxA network is allocated Unit IDs 10 - 1F, and my AuxB network is allocated Unit IDs 20 - 2F.  None of those are even close to fully used.

Ccb arches and cmb24's all on Aux A and all the regular ac controllers on reg lot network 

I have controllers 1 to 6 on AC controllers on lot etwork and all the other RGB stuff on higher controller ID numbers on the auxiliary a network. I researched a lot...   except putting the correct data cables in the correct port LOL

you would think I would know better by now considering I've been doing this since 2015 but this is the first time I went to two networks instead of one.

• The topic was locked