Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility not finding Input Pup

SantaLudy

I have an Input Pup that I am having difficulty finding on the Hardware Utility.  The message of checking my connection or checking power on controller continues to haunt me.  I am  using a 9 vdc power supply for the board.  When powered up the red LED flashes fast.  When I search for my comm port, HU tells me that it can't located the controller.  I really need some guidance on this one.  I have over 25 various controllers but have not ran across this issue, that I can recall.    

Input PUP  can not be on a ELOR (network), nor run faster than 57K (the chart is odd, that might be 115K)  according to the speed chart

You do not usually need the 9V if the previous controller is POWERED on and you use standard CAT5 cables (if you have a wrongly built cable, it might clash)

Are you trying this as a Single LOR device (9V will be needed or the powered RS485 dongle)

Did you SET the ID (default was 10) to miss any other usage? This does need to be done with the one that clashes , not on the network.

While not required for HU, is com listener running? That usually stops the flashing red LED

4 hours ago, SantaLudy said:

When powered up the red LED flashes fast.  When I search for my comm port, HU tells me that it can't located the controller. 

If the red LED is flashing, that is not good.  Most likely cause is no communications to the controller.

BTW, you can partially ignore what TheDucks said about Enhanced LOR and network speed.  The Hardware Utility ALWAYS operates non-Enhanced and at fairly low speed.  What he said is valid for operating however.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim.   It has to be the board.  I have try every effort to get a communication signal to the board.  All other controllers react and respond.  I hope that LOR will work with me and exchange this one for a replacement.  I purchased this two years ago and built an interactive part for my display.  This board had never  been fired up until now.  Thanks again for responding. 

Well, I was able to determine the cause of my issue.  It was the Power Supply.  I learned that there is a difference in a Non-Regulated and Regulated 9 vdc Power Supply.  When I replaced the non with a regulated supply, my issue went away.  Apparently the board requires a consistent voltage instead of a variable.  Some devices grab the amount needed to operate, but the board requires a steady 9 vdc.  

Thanks to everyone for their input.  Have a great show this coming year.  

• The topic was locked